The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Phenolic Intake Manifold and TB spacers for the SVX/EG33 available (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63141)

svxfiles 11-12-2014 02:29 PM

Re: Phenolic Intake Manifold and TB spacers for the SVX/EG33 coming soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 737350)
Would you be willing to make a one off set of 1/2-3/4 inch thick spacers that would go between the intake manifold and the injector stacks?

Thanks
Bill

Why stop at one?
just how many Racers are out there?

Oh, crap! I can not believe that I played the race card.

Stevebsy 11-12-2014 02:30 PM

Hi OT

I am thinking probably to use the 8mm(5/16) thickness, but 1/4 would probably work just about as well. Might break out the college textbook on heat transfer and see how significant the difference is.

I notice that some of the manifold has to be ground down to fit around the AC line fitting at the DS front. Would using 1/4 eliminate that need? I will take a closer look tonight.

svxfiles 11-12-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy (Post 737352)
Hi OT

I am thinking probably to use the 8mm(5/16) thickness, but 1/4 would probably work just about as well. Might break out the college textbook on heat transfer and see how significant the difference is.

I notice that some of the manifold has to be ground down to fit around the AC line fitting at the DS front.
Would using 1/4 eliminate that need? I will take a closer look tonight.

The webbing is a very soft aluminum and only about 3/16" thick.
If one did not care about the appearance it could be removed with a sawzall as long as they did not cut the AC line!:eek:
The AC support bracket (the black flat steel plate) would need to be loosened if not removed for clearance, but again not a big deal.
After the sawzall use one can easily smooth things out with a 1/2 round rough cut file.

scoobydrvr 11-14-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy (Post 737312)
Something will be arranged :D

Did you make those files yourself? Just curious to their origin..

Thanks!

Yes, I made them myself. Slaved over a hot CAD program for [insert enough time to make you feel guilty here]!

I scanned in the OE gaskets and traced. You'd be surprised how ragged the edges of the gaskets really are!

dseventing 11-15-2014 01:45 AM

Ill be taking a set right here! The sooner you have them done the better;)

Stevebsy 11-15-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydrvr (Post 737377)
Yes, I made them myself. Slaved over a hot CAD program for [insert enough time to make you feel guilty here]!

I scanned in the OE gaskets and traced. You'd be surprised how ragged the edges of the gaskets really are!

I hate to complain about free stuff..but. . ;)
Do you also have the file for the upper gaskets? The spacers will go between the injector stacks and manifold. Your file is from the gasket under side of the stack to the cylinder head.

See OT's pictures above.

Tireiron 11-15-2014 11:48 PM

The only important spacer is between the injector stack and the head. If you block the heat there, it will not travel to the rest of the intake.

svxfiles 11-16-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tireiron (Post 737405)
The only important spacer is between the injector stack and the head. If you block the heat there, it will not travel to the rest of the intake.

It is the more important spacer but harder to install. There are benefits to the upper spacer other than diminishing heat transfer.
More volume to the intake runners and it also makes it easier to get to things like knock sensors, hoses and vacuum lines.

SVXRide 11-16-2014 11:12 AM

Hello? ;)

Thoughts on fabing up 2 sets of 1/2-3/4 inch thick lower spacers (yeah, one for my racecar and one for OT's :cool:)?

Thanks!!
Bill

Stevebsy 11-16-2014 04:07 PM

Once the program is made for the CNC, different thicknesses are just a minor change to the program, so not a big deal.

Question for OT or whoever knows:
Installing upper spacers looks pretty easy. The lower ones look like a lot more work and difficult.

Also..what about the EGR tube? Does it tolerate being moved 8mm upwards without too much trouble?

For me, the difference in difficulty to make either the upper or lowers is not much. It's just a question of what people will buy. I would prefer to offer just one design, but if demand was there, I could do both.

Crazy_pilot 11-16-2014 04:41 PM

Actually the lower ones are easier. The fuel lines are bolted to the intake manifold in a couple places so it's easier to remove the manifold, injector stacks and fuel system all in one piece than to take the manifold off by itself.

svxfiles 11-16-2014 04:45 PM

"Also..what about the EGR tube? Does it tolerate being moved 8mm upwards without too much trouble?"
I have streached the stainless steel tube several ways.
The trick is to keep the flat surfaces paralell.
On some I picked the intake manifold upward with an engine crane.
Easy to do, and easy to mess up!
I have also made an angle steel bracket where the bottom is lightly bolted into place, the angle steel is clamped in a big a$$ bench vice, I use a phillips screwdriver as a pry bar, and use carefully a blue tipped wrench to bring the tube up to red hot to allow an easy bend & streach, and using vice grips to ensure a paralell surface before things cool.

Stevebsy 11-17-2014 02:13 PM

Soooo...

How are us mere mortals supposed to bend the tube? :lol:

SVXRide 11-17-2014 05:03 PM

tube, smoob....block off plate FTW!

Bill

Crazy_pilot 11-17-2014 07:14 PM

Yep, EGR delete is the best solution!