The Subaru SVX World Network   SVX Network Forums
Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3076  
Old 03-04-2024, 08:33 AM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 148
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
I did successfully replace the two flexible hoses between engine and transmission today.

I have not attempted to source the two longer hoses.

Which of the hoses are you unable to get, Noriyasu?
I didn't need them right away, so I didn't specifically ask which ones were available, but called the dealer and said I'd buy them all of available one.

In most cases, almost of parts are unavailable. That's why "I purchase everything available!" has become my usual phrase.

Sorry, I will let you know once I get it. For my family's sake, I have to go to the hospital right in front of the dealership on the 22nd. Maybe the parts will be received at that time.

And.... In many cases, hoses can be made by piecing together generic curved hoses. So I'm not too worried.
Reply With Quote
  #3077  
Old 03-06-2024, 03:12 AM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,094
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Today, I pulled off the intake manifold to replace the coolant, fuel, and vacuum hoses located underneath. I decided to do this when I realized all hoses I was interacting with in the engine bay had hardened and were fragile original hoses.

I found a decayed/cracked fuel hose off the FPR once I had the manifold off. Glad I decided to embark on this maintenance.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3078  
Old 03-06-2024, 09:44 AM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 148
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Today, I pulled off the intake manifold to replace the coolant, fuel, and vacuum hoses located underneath. I decided to do this when I realized all hoses I was interacting with in the engine bay had hardened and were fragile original hoses.

I found a decayed/cracked fuel hose off the FPR once I had the manifold off. Glad I decided to embark on this maintenance.
If you removing the intake manifold, it is a good timing to check the variable intake valve on the back side of intake manifold. Air leaks may occur from there. It's right in the middle of the manifold. The valve connects the left and right banks at high engine speeds, and makes them independent at low engine speeds. If this doesn't work smoothly, high rotation will not run smoothly.

The valve is operated by a vacuum actuator. I would recommend applying negative pressure to the actuator to see if it opens fully.

Note: When I checked and installed it, I make small mistake. I found that the bolts were not tightened enough, causing air leakage and the idle speed becoming unstable.
Reply With Quote
  #3079  
Old 03-07-2024, 12:16 AM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,094
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

That's a good tip. I'll put a hand vac pump on to make sure it moves. It was running well, before, so I suspect it is fine. If there is an o ring for the valve in my engine seal kit, I will change that.

Today, I pulled off all the vacuum hoses on the intake manifold, and the short fuel hose to the FPR. I'll work on sourcing replacement hoses, next.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3080  
Old 03-08-2024, 10:48 PM
sd2649's Avatar
sd2649 sd2649 is offline
Driving in Style
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 239
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

I gotta say I’m just happy to see this forum still going. Whoever is keeping it up and running…. Kudos to you! Is there a place to donate?
__________________
-Steven

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Reply With Quote
  #3081  
Old 03-12-2024, 07:19 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,094
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Chris Townsend keeps the lights on. I reached out to him to find out.


Yesterday, I picked up new leader tubes for my heater core. Tomorrow I am bringing the core itself back to a radiator shop to be replicated in brass or similar without plastic end tanks.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3082  
Old 03-13-2024, 02:39 AM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 148
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Hi,

Yesterday I had to drive about 400milesin heavy rain. As I approached my home, the rain turned to snow. Snow melting agents are do bad for old cars.
Today I wash my car.

That's when I noticed the passenger door lock was stuck.

This problem often occurs with SVX. The trouble occurs when the driver tries to release the lock (the passenger side is moved by an electric actuator) and the passenger touch it at the same time.

The repair method is very simple, just remove the actuator and reassemble it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8534.jpg (99.0 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3083  
Old 03-13-2024, 11:14 AM
LarryIII LarryIII is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,797
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

The photo of your door shows the color of your car as Bordeaux Pearl. That is the same as my '97 SVX name "SUBYDOO." I hope you enjoy your SVX as much as I do.
__________________
Larry III & The Beautiful Naviguesser
'19 Tungsten Pearl Outback 3.6R Ltd...."AISHA"
'08 Harvest Gold Outback 3.0L. L. L. Bean...."AIJOU"
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net


SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Reply With Quote
  #3084  
Old 03-13-2024, 12:03 PM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 148
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
The photo of your door shows the color of your car as Bordeaux Pearl. That is the same as my '97 SVX name "SUBYDOO." I hope you enjoy your SVX as much as I do.
Hello LarryIII

Thank you for your comment.

SVX has three similar red colors.

Name of color is crimson mica and color code is 265. At the time of '91, it was an optional color that could only be selected for the VL grade. In '92, it became available as an option for the VE grade. SVX of this color is very rare.

When this car was released, a car in this color was used in a TV commercial.
This car was given to me by a friend of mine. It's a special car to me.

though... my other SUBARUs are also extremely rare.
Reply With Quote
  #3085  
Old 03-13-2024, 02:31 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,094
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriyasu View Post
Hi,

Yesterday I had to drive about 400milesin heavy rain. As I approached my home, the rain turned to snow. Snow melting agents are do bad for old cars.
Today I wash my car.

That's when I noticed the passenger door lock was stuck.

This problem often occurs with SVX. The trouble occurs when the driver tries to release the lock (the passenger side is moved by an electric actuator) and the passenger touch it at the same time.

The repair method is very simple, just remove the actuator and reassemble it.
Noriyasu, does your SVX have a security module in the dash? My dash wires were altered in some way and no module is present. The power locks/actuators also do not work, but the locks themselves do.

I'm glad your long drive also went well! The SVX is very good in poor weather, though I wouldn't drive my current one in the snow as I am also afraid of the ice melting agent's effects.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3086  
Old 03-13-2024, 08:40 PM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 148
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Noriyasu, does your SVX have a security module in the dash? My dash wires were altered in some way and no module is present. The power locks/actuators also do not work, but the locks themselves do.

I'm glad your long drive also went well! The SVX is very good in poor weather, though I wouldn't drive my current one in the snow as I am also afraid of the ice melting agent's effects.
Hi, Mike

I also don't usually take my SVX out of the garage during the snow season.
Because of my mother's heart disease, I sometimes have to go to a large hospital in the big city (close to Tokyo). My mother also suffers from lower back and knee pain, and the Impreza's shock absorbers and bucket seats don't seem to be able to withstand long-distance drives due to their high vibrations.

JDM SVX does not have an immobilizer. Under standard conditions, the doors are locked when the car starts moving and reaches a certain speed. Later model SVXs have a button to cancel this and the door lock ECU has been modified. Many users don't like automatic door locks, so the previous owner may have changed the door lock ECU.

Searching by VIN, the part number for your car's key lock ECU is 57430PA250 (or PA251). For late model is 88035PA100 (or PA102). FYI
Reply With Quote
  #3087  
Old 03-13-2024, 10:00 PM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 148
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Noriyasu, does your SVX have a security module in the dash? My dash wires were altered in some way and no module is present. The power locks/actuators also do not work, but the locks themselves do.

I'm glad your long drive also went well! The SVX is very good in poor weather, though I wouldn't drive my current one in the snow as I am also afraid of the ice melting agent's effects.
Or, the keyless entry unit may be bypassed in your car. The original key remote uses infrared rays and will not work unless you are very close to it. Therefore, radio keyless entry was later made available as an option. I believe it was a dealer option, not a manufacturer option.

Many people are replacing it with radio waves. My car has also been replaced and the additional unit is placed in the driver's footwell, around the SSM connector. In my car, the original keyless entry ECU was also not removed and the two units are working in parallel.
Reply With Quote
  #3088  
Old 03-14-2024, 03:21 AM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,094
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriyasu View Post
Hi, Mike

I also don't usually take my SVX out of the garage during the snow season.
Because of my mother's heart disease, I sometimes have to go to a large hospital in the big city (close to Tokyo). My mother also suffers from lower back and knee pain, and the Impreza's shock absorbers and bucket seats don't seem to be able to withstand long-distance drives due to their high vibrations.

JDM SVX does not have an immobilizer. Under standard conditions, the doors are locked when the car starts moving and reaches a certain speed. Later model SVXs have a button to cancel this and the door lock ECU has been modified. Many users don't like automatic door locks, so the previous owner may have changed the door lock ECU.

Searching by VIN, the part number for your car's key lock ECU is 57430PA250 (or PA251). For late model is 88035PA100 (or PA102). FYI
Thanks Noriyasu. My next move is to try and locate a door lock ecu, then, as mine is missing, if it belongs above the glove box.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3089  
Old 03-14-2024, 05:01 AM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,094
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Bought a door lock computer and a JDM wiring diagram on yahoo auctions via buyee, which has been great to help ship parts from Japan.

I brought the new stainless tubes to the radiator shop today to have them brazed to the copper end tank. The radiator shop is using the basis of a Ford heater core, similar to this:

They took the tubes off and replaced with new longer tubes I had made of stainless steel which follow the factory aluminum tubes path.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3090  
Old 03-14-2024, 09:26 PM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 148
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Bought a door lock computer and a JDM wiring diagram on yahoo auctions via buyee, which has been great to help ship parts from Japan.
There are two types of JDM wiring diagrams. Early models have '91.10 written on the cover. The late model is '94.7. I have both of them, but there are some differences.

I would have copied about one page if you had told me, but I think having it will be useful in the future.

The unit seems to be located near the A-pillar on the passenger side. It seems to be a 17pin B29 connector.

BTW, the unit is tied to a key and cannot be reprogrammed. Did the key come with the used unit? If it comes with a key, you can remove the transmitter inside and replace it with the contents of your key. It should be much easier than replacing all the key cylinders in the trunk and doors.
Attached Images
File Type: png keylessunit.png (159.6 KB, 90 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf b29.PDF (60.8 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 SVX World Network
(208)-906-1122