The Subaru SVX World Network   SVX Network Forums
Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3031  
Old 06-02-2023, 08:39 PM
SvXit's Avatar
SvXit SvXit is offline
Member Incognito
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere in MD
Posts: 392
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Applied some Ammo Skin and took it out for a drive: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3BmwwET2x1aRsGc7
Very nice!! And here, another picture of your car, at Reading 18 (under previous ownership; taken on May 5, 2018).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3113.jpg (543.1 KB, 1233 views)
__________________
SvXit

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Reply With Quote
  #3032  
Old 06-02-2023, 10:22 PM
LarryIII LarryIII is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,802
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Mike,

What is Ammo Skin & where is it available?
__________________
Larry III & The Beautiful Naviguesser
'19 Tungsten Pearl Outback 3.6R Ltd...."AISHA"
'08 Harvest Gold Outback 3.0L. L. L. Bean...."AIJOU"
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net


SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Reply With Quote
  #3033  
Old 06-06-2023, 08:10 AM
SvXit's Avatar
SvXit SvXit is offline
Member Incognito
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere in MD
Posts: 392
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
Mike,

What is Ammo Skin & where is it available?
Larry, Ammo Skin is available here:

https://ammonyc.com/

He has a fairly large YouTube channel on detailing with excellent content.
__________________
SvXit

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Reply With Quote
  #3034  
Old 06-29-2023, 10:24 AM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 167
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Today I replaced the brake calipers and brake pads in preparation for the vehicle inspection.

It's a stock part that I've overhauled myself before
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8470.jpg (116.5 KB, 1055 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8486.jpg (135.4 KB, 1049 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3035  
Old 11-13-2023, 10:12 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,104
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXit View Post
Larry, Ammo Skin is available here:

https://ammonyc.com/

He has a fairly large YouTube channel on detailing with excellent content.
Thanks for giving Larry the link. I totally missed this!

Truth be told, my SVX could probably use a light paint correction in order to get the most from this sealant. I am going to have the right mirror repainted due to some flaking clear coat, at some point.

Recently, the SVX has had 6 new plugs and coils, transmission fluid change, and new Oregon permanent/collector tags.

In queue: Steering Rack replacement, Tbelt service & heater core.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3036  
Old 11-21-2023, 05:36 PM
ElCastigador ElCastigador is offline
2A - SVX NON-PURIST
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rocky Mountains, CO
Posts: 1
Lightbulb Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

First time posting. I have been working on my SVX. Front suspension is my next project. Will be rebuilding the front calipers this weekend and I have the new crossdilled slotted rotors to install. Just got the new bearings pressed in and am awaiting seals to complete. If the part gets removed, then it gets new paint.

I think I have the geometry dialed in for a front set of PoleMotor coilovers with possibly only drilling the top strut tower support. May choose to machine a new aluminum plate instead, but have to wait until my steering knuckles are ready. New ball joints, OE lower control arms with bushings, MOOG links with zircs, and Energy Suspension red boots. Also add new front axles.

I am contemplating dropping the front cross member to install the cleaner one I have with a new rack that I also have. AND while down, redo the oil pan sealant. Trying to find all my leaks. The Y-Pipe has 175K miles of gooop and needs a power wash too.
Reply With Quote
  #3037  
Old 12-12-2023, 04:40 PM
SVX_MY_BABY's Avatar
SVX_MY_BABY SVX_MY_BABY is offline
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HALIFAX Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,483
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCastigador View Post
First time posting. I have been working on my SVX. Front suspension is my next project. Will be rebuilding the front calipers this weekend and I have the new crossdilled slotted rotors to install. Just got the new bearings pressed in and am awaiting seals to complete. If the part gets removed, then it gets new paint.

I think I have the geometry dialed in for a front set of PoleMotor coilovers with possibly only drilling the top strut tower support. May choose to machine a new aluminum plate instead, but have to wait until my steering knuckles are ready. New ball joints, OE lower control arms with bushings, MOOG links with zircs, and Energy Suspension red boots. Also add new front axles.

I am contemplating dropping the front cross member to install the cleaner one I have with a new rack that I also have. AND while down, redo the oil pan sealant. Trying to find all my leaks. The Y-Pipe has 175K miles of gooop and needs a power wash too.
How is this project progressing?
__________________
Peter
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #3038  
Old 12-15-2023, 04:44 PM
Mika Mika is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Finland
Posts: 6
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Been hunting for parts to reseal the engine. Just missing a couple of gaskets at this point.

Getting mentally ready to pull the engine. Sure hope it's not the cylinder liners, I'd be happy with cylinder heads or head gaskets.
Reply With Quote
  #3039  
Old 12-20-2023, 10:55 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,104
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCastigador View Post
First time posting. I have been working on my SVX. Front suspension is my next project. Will be rebuilding the front calipers this weekend and I have the new crossdilled slotted rotors to install. Just got the new bearings pressed in and am awaiting seals to complete. If the part gets removed, then it gets new paint.

I think I have the geometry dialed in for a front set of PoleMotor coilovers with possibly only drilling the top strut tower support. May choose to machine a new aluminum plate instead, but have to wait until my steering knuckles are ready. New ball joints, OE lower control arms with bushings, MOOG links with zircs, and Energy Suspension red boots. Also add new front axles.

I am contemplating dropping the front cross member to install the cleaner one I have with a new rack that I also have. AND while down, redo the oil pan sealant. Trying to find all my leaks. The Y-Pipe has 175K miles of gooop and needs a power wash too.
Ambitious! let us know how it goes and share photos!
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3040  
Old 12-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,104
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Tonight, I'm going to install the coolant temperature sensor thats been on my workbench for a little while now.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3041  
Old 12-25-2023, 09:05 AM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 167
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
Been hunting for parts to reseal the engine. Just missing a couple of gaskets at this point.

Getting mentally ready to pull the engine. Sure hope it's not the cylinder liners, I'd be happy with cylinder heads or head gaskets.
As you know, the genuine head gasket and head bolt are discontinued.

I used Cometic instead. According to my memo show that the head gasket replacement was done in 2019.

https://www.cometic.com/products/C4340-066
Reply With Quote
  #3042  
Old 12-27-2023, 02:50 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,104
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriyasu View Post
As you know, the genuine head gasket and head bolt are discontinued.

I used Cometic instead. According to my memo show that the head gasket replacement was done in 2019.

https://www.cometic.com/products/C4340-066
What did you end up doing for head bolts? I see OE and aftermarket out there now:

https://www.enginepartsonly.com/1995...xoC7eYQAvD_BwE set for $120

https://www.subaruoempartsoutlet.com...BoCeS0QAvD_BwE OE @ $11 ea
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3043  
Old 12-27-2023, 02:54 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,104
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Tonight, I'm going to install the coolant temperature sensor thats been on my workbench for a little while now.
The sensor was pretty corroded. I'm glad I addressed it. Hopefully reduces the intermittent hard start.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
  #3044  
Old 01-01-2024, 01:40 AM
Noriyasu Noriyasu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hokuto, Yamanashi, Japan
Posts: 167
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
What did you end up doing for head bolts? I see OE and aftermarket out there now:

https://www.enginepartsonly.com/1995...xoC7eYQAvD_BwE set for $120

https://www.subaruoempartsoutlet.com...BoCeS0QAvD_BwE OE @ $11 ea
I used this. I used a slightly thinner gasket, so the compression ratio was calculated to be 10.4. I polished the exhaust and intake ports and manifold. In fact, above 4500rpm the engine runs much smoother than the original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Cylinde...7/232960166185
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1549045093_66.jpg (59.0 KB, 943 views)
File Type: jpg 1548946484_71.jpg (42.8 KB, 980 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3045  
Old 01-09-2024, 01:44 PM
Mike621's Avatar
Mike621 Mike621 is offline
15th time is a charm?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 4,104
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Pulled the instrument cluster from my car to troubleshoot. I found that the speedometer gauge is faulty after another used unit works just fine. I am going to have the capacitors on the speedometer circuit board checked. I’d like to maintain mileage accuracy.

I have also encountered bad capacitors in my tachometer and climate control unit, in 2021 I swapped the tach to resolve, and a friend helped me test and replace some capacitors in the climate unit. I was unable to find a replacement used JDM climate control.
__________________
1991 SVX L JDM
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 SVX World Network
(208)-906-1122