PDA

View Full Version : Is this an external trans filter??

SoCal LS-L
01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
It is connected by two lines going in and out from the bottom of my radiator.... is this the external or something else??

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh391/seekingelite/SANY0973.jpg

Green1995SVX
01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes. That's the campaign filter.

SoCal LS-L
01-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Excellent!! Now I feel much better thanks

kwren
01-14-2009, 01:43 PM
It is connected by two lines going in and out from the bottom of my radiator.... is this the external or something else??
Excellent!! Now I feel much better thanks

Maybe so, Maybe not.
If the two lines going to the bottom of the radiator are actually connected to the two lines on that filter, neither the filter or the radiator are in the transmission equation.:(

Keith

mysvxrocks
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Looks like your valve covers are leaking :o

Green1995SVX
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks like your valve covers are leaking :o

Cam seals too, maybe!

SoCal LS-L
01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Lol.... yeah she needs work thats for sure. Ordered the water pump from autozone for 35.99..... anyone had experience with an autozone pump?

TomsSVX
01-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Lol.... yeah she needs work thats for sure. Ordered the water pump from autozone for 35.99..... anyone had experience with an autozone pump?

OT has used them in the past, he seems to have good luck with them:)

Tom

svxfiles
01-14-2009, 04:34 PM

Maybe so, Maybe not.
If the two lines going to the bottom of the radiator are actually connected to the two lines on that filter, neither the filter or the radiator are in the transmission equation.:(

Keith
Keith,
Subaru uses a transmission cooler in the stock radiator, so yes those lines are from the front of the trans, through the external filter, through the trans cooler in the radiator, and back to the back of the trans.

SoCal LS-L
01-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Ok thats good to know, thanks Tom. I was figuring 35.99 = too good to be true. Now I get to look forward to yanking the front of my engine apart.... yay!! Some jerks got into my garage and relieved me of some of my tools the other night, so hopefully I can still manage with what i have left. I noticed the how-to for water pumps/timing belts is missing or just not there.... any threads on this previously??? If there isnt one I can definitely type up a rudamentary one with pics as i go along..... maybe someone else can benefit from my misfortune :lol:

redlightningsvx
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
A quick tip for getting the crankshaft nut off is put it on a breaker bar/pipe for an extentsion then turn the key over just enought to break it loose. Or you can use the specialty crankshaft tool from subaru.

TomsSVX
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
sorry, lil off topic... but we should add "yes it is..." at the end of the thread title for good ole time sake :lol:

Tom

kwren
01-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Keith,
Subaru uses a transmission cooler in the stock radiator, so yes those lines are from the front of the trans, through the external filter, through the trans cooler in the radiator, and back to the back of the trans.

Thanks!
The "It is connected by two lines going in and out from the bottom of my radiator sounded like two lines from the filter going to the two fittings on the radiator. Like "going nowhere" That is why I said "Maybe so, Maybe not".:lol:

Keith:)

siceclipse
01-15-2009, 09:22 AM
sorry, lil off topic... but we should add "yes it is..." at the end of the thread title for good ole time sake :lol:

Tom

lol!

ensteele
01-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes, yes it is! :lol: :lol:

SoCal LS-L
01-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Arrrrrrghhh !!! Now that I have 3,876 confirmations thats it IS INDEED the external transmission filter, maybe we can move this thread to the "Well DUH" section for future reference... :lol::lol:

kwren
01-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Has to be the end of the thread title, Earl:lol:

TomsSVX
01-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Arrrrrrghhh !!! Now that I have 3,876 confirmations thats it IS INDEED the external transmission filter, maybe we can move this thread to the "Well DUH" section for future reference... :lol::lol:

Nah, we are just having a little fun, and not at your expense... No worries;)

To

SoCal LS-L
01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh I wouldnt care if it were at my expense anyways :D The real fun starts tomorrow when I get my water pump, and subsequent ulcer from doing it lol. Ill have lots of pictures of that im sure, along with a "How-not-to-do" documenting the fun.

SoCal LS-L
01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Any home-brew methods of removing the damn left camshaft pulley?? The bolt is in tight and the stupid thing just turns... and I dont want to blow cash on a cam pulley removal tool.

sperry
01-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Any home-brew methods of removing the damn left camshaft pulley?? The bolt is in tight and the stupid thing just turns... and I dont want to blow cash on a cam pulley removal tool.
You can use the timing belt to do it, but it'll likely destroy the belt in the process:

Wrap the belt around the timing gear like this (sorry for the crappy 10 second Visio drawing):

http://www.seccs.org/images/misc/removing_cam_gear.jpg

Then loop the other end around something on the motor that will anchor the belt. As you wrench on the gear bolt, the belt tightens on itself and prevents the gear from turning. But this will stretch and kink the timing belt, so don't do it if you plan on reusing the belt!!!

This works for the right cam gear too, if you just kink it under the bottom. I also use the same method with the accessory belt for taking off the crank pulley.

Edit: here are some actual pictures of what I'm talking about:

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20Pictures/1994%20SVX/Engine%20Resealing/IMG_1139.JPG

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20Pictures/1994%20SVX/Engine%20Resealing/IMG_1138.JPG

SoCal LS-L
01-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Ahhh thanks for the tip lol, I wont tell you what that kind of looks like :lol: I will be reusing the belt unfortunately, but im sure I can figure out a way to make use of your suggestion.

liamrh
01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Keith,

Yeah, wtf? Just an external filter for the coolant?

scottsubarus
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Seems like those recall screw on filters are hard to come by at the dealership. Is there a aftermarket (puralator) filter equivelent avail?

Scott/Omaha

redlightningsvx
01-22-2009, 08:39 PM

Not a filter for coolant a filter for the transmission fluid that's just silly.

svxfiles
01-22-2009, 08:44 PM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Keith,
Subaru uses a transmission cooler in the stock radiator,
so yes those lines are from the front of the trans, through the external filter, through the trans cooler in the radiator, and back to the back of the trans. "

Subaru uses a transmission cooler in the stock radiator
to both warm and cool the transmission fluid in the stock combination engine coolant radiator and transmission warmer/cooler,
so yes those lines are from the front of the transmission, through the external transmission filter,
(not a spin on filter, but one made like a fuel filter, with tubes in and out, and according to Subaru never needing replacement.)
then the fluid travels through the trans cooler, and back to the transmission.
I hope that this is more clear.:o

liamrh
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I know what it is for......

Jesus christ guys, it was a sarcastic response to kwren's intial post, lol.

svxfiles
01-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I know what it is for......

Jesus christ guys, it was a sarcastic response to kwren's intial post, lol.

oops.:o:o

:rolleyes:

kwren
01-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Please be kind to kwren. He's :cool:
(this is all in fun)
Everyone have a great day!!!

kwren
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh391/seekingelite/SANY0973.jpg

My original response was submitted on the outside chance that the two lines on the external filter were actually connected to the two lines on the radiator... which as you can all see is the actual question.

I was able to install a transmission filter kit and later a transmission cooler on my svx with the help of the kind people on this form.

Again I wanted to make sure that the filter wasn't actually connected in the way that was described in the first sentence in the thread.

We sure got a lot of miles out of it, didn't we!! (so far) :lol:

sperry
01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
You can use the timing belt to do it, but it'll likely destroy the belt in the process:

Wrap the belt around the timing gear like this (sorry for the crappy 10 second Visio drawing):

http://www.seccs.org/images/misc/removing_cam_gear.jpg

Then loop the other end around something on the motor that will anchor the belt. As you wrench on the gear bolt, the belt tightens on itself and prevents the gear from turning. But this will stretch and kink the timing belt, so don't do it if you plan on reusing the belt!!!

This works for the right cam gear too, if you just kink it under the bottom. I also use the same method with the accessory belt for taking off the crank pulley.

Edit: here are some actual pictures of what I'm talking about:

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20Pictures/1994%20SVX/Engine%20Resealing/IMG_1139.JPG

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20Pictures/1994%20SVX/Engine%20Resealing/IMG_1138.JPG
Bump for the added pictures above. Hopefully that makes more sense about using an old timing belt to take off the cam bolts. I used the same trick to reinstall them too:

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20Pictures/1994%20SVX/Engine%20Resealing/IMG_1140.JPG

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20Pictures/1994%20SVX/Engine%20Resealing/IMG_1141.JPG

One again, if you do this, don't reuse the timing belt!!