The Subaru SVX World Network   SVX Network Forums
Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:
SVXBot

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2009, 01:37 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
transfer clutch - that's not right...

So I'm betting that this isn't right....

Does anyone happen to know the part number for the gear/clutch center?





Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
bheinen74 bheinen74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 501
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

the rest of the gear that has separated, pulls out of the tranny. And, are you saying, the clutch packs inside were mia too?

anyhow, I would just find a used one and rebuild. They are not supposed to come off like that.
the rebuild clutches are less then 50 bucks
__________________
1985 Brat GL 138k
04 outback 2.5 89k
91 CRX Si 40k
91 CRX Si 149k
97 SVX Lsi 66k
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2009, 02:19 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

We already have it out of the tranny. I just need the part number if anyone has it. I'd hate to call Jamie and try and explain this part to her.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
TomsSVX's Avatar
TomsSVX TomsSVX is offline
Knuckle Deep
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bedminster, New Joysey
Posts: 15,378
Send a message via AIM to TomsSVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Those parts are PRICEY!!

The sun gears are matched sets, so it is not as simply as replacing it. The sun gear on the pinion needs to be changed as well.

To get the parts new costs upwards of $500 just for the sungears, then another couple for the clutches if you want to replace them.

This failure is usually cause by inproper installation of the thrust bearing or excessive wear of the bearing. Not uncommon and many times leads to the destruction of the front differential as well. If I were you, I would try and source the parts used and replace the thrust bearings w/ a new one of the appropriate size

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Those parts are PRICEY!!

The sun gears are matched sets, so it is not as simply as replacing it. The sun gear on the pinion needs to be changed as well.

To get the parts new costs upwards of $500 just for the sungears, then another couple for the clutches if you want to replace them.

This failure is usually cause by inproper installation of the thrust bearing or excessive wear of the bearing. Not uncommon and many times leads to the destruction of the front differential as well. If I were you, I would try and source the parts used and replace the thrust bearings w/ a new one of the appropriate size

Tom
Oh! Good call. Thank you for the tips Tom.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Maxo's Avatar
Maxo Maxo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 150
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

That happened to my '92 too. I was able to replace the parts but my tranny went a few days later probably due to all the debris from the sheared clutch basket. My atf was pretty dirty looking and the fluid flush I did probably made it worse.

Anyway... I have all those parts including 6 very new transfer plates. PM me if interested.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
That happened to my '92 too. I was able to replace the parts but my tranny went a few days later probably due to all the debris from the sheared clutch basket. My atf was pretty dirty looking and the fluid flush I did probably made it worse.

Anyway... I have all those parts including 6 very new transfer plates. PM me if interested.
Our fluid is looking pretty good. I was worried about debris when I took it apart.

Shoot me a list of what you have, and what you want for them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
31450aa260
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
TomsSVX's Avatar
TomsSVX TomsSVX is offline
Knuckle Deep
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bedminster, New Joysey
Posts: 15,378
Send a message via AIM to TomsSVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Just for future reference

A good way to check if this is a problem without taking the rear tail housing off, is to pull the speed sensor #1 out of the tail housing. More often than not if the sensor has metal shards stuck to it (magnet) the clutch drum has sheered from the output shaft and this is likely why your AWD does not work

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

well, changed out the gear with the basket. it a little tight, but loosening with tight figure 8's.

while in there changed solenoid C and valve assembly. Double checked for no pinched wires, and it's pulling a solenoid C error.

Drives fine, but the code is bothering me. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
TomsSVX's Avatar
TomsSVX TomsSVX is offline
Knuckle Deep
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bedminster, New Joysey
Posts: 15,378
Send a message via AIM to TomsSVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnInConcepts View Post
well, changed out the gear with the basket. it a little tight, but loosening with tight figure 8's.

while in there changed solenoid C and valve assembly. Double checked for no pinched wires, and it's pulling a solenoid C error.

Drives fine, but the code is bothering me. Any thoughts?
Is it an old code or new?? Gotta let the TCU reset if it is old

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2009, 05:00 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Is it an old code or new?? Gotta let the TCU reset if it is old

Tom
New. Pulled fuse. Pulled battery. Started many times. Even went for a spin, and all behaves as it should.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
TomsSVX's Avatar
TomsSVX TomsSVX is offline
Knuckle Deep
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bedminster, New Joysey
Posts: 15,378
Send a message via AIM to TomsSVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

Strange... Don't know what to tell you. Get it on a lift and make certain all 4 are spinning

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
TurnInConcepts TurnInConcepts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Re: transfer clutch - that's not right...

got it figured out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2001-2015 SVX World Network
(208)-906-1122