How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Graphic Artist

Cool Taking deposits on custom built SVX carputers.

Hi folks.

The carputers have been lined out, and I'm getting ready to place an order for parts.

Specs are as follows.

1.5 ghz via C7 processor
512 mb RAM
Embedded bluetooth
embedded 802.11 G wifi
GPS enabled
80 GB HDD
7.5" touch screen (multiple screen support availible, PM me)
real time monitoring of several ECU functions

Below is a mockup, actual device will look exactly as pictured.

The door will still work, allowing you to keep your headunit mounted in one DIN, while the actual computer and DVD/CD RW drive mount below your head unit.

Go ahead and post any questions you have here. Unit price is 1200.00 for features listed and a 3 year warranty.

Deposit is 600, with 600 due upon shipping of your unit. Please note, I am only building these for 3 members at a time to keep turn around reasonable.

You could expect your unit by Jan 15.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
is there a way to be able to use a mouse/pointer without touching the screen? Maybe a touchpad of some kind?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
is there a way to be able to use a mouse/pointer without touching the screen? Maybe a touchpad of some kind?
As if have a computer in your car already isn't enough
Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Locker Link Solution

in my first I used a presenter... it had like a joystick style circle and a click button next to it. Strap it on your index finger and your thumb does all the work.... it is packed somewhere. it was generic device but worked GREAT! I know they still make presenters with mouse function but have not seen any that are as small and strap to you... I think I got it from cdw like 4-5 years back.

There is something called a free-air mouse that you can make in about 10 minutes with an IR travel mouse... tape the batt. and clicker to the side of the guts in a plastic tube, wrap in a sock... thats about it. rub the sock around and squeeze to click! There are instructions on youtube I think. With practice, you can do alot with it.

-EDIT-
they call it SOAP...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hohu8SSpduM
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 12-13-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Graphic Artist

I can set you up with a trackpad on the center console lid.

All of them will come with a small keyboard that is on a retractable cord that fits in the glove box, for installing and typing and such.

Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I can just use a stylus right? I have a hard time with touchscreens. My laptop has one and my fingers simply do not get along with it.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Locker Link Solution

stylus should work on pretty much anything cept glass touchscreens (which require moisture/warmth)
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Graphic Artist

Sure you can use a stylus, I'll ship 2 with each unit.

-Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Cool... I have to wait until spring though to get this, but it will DEFINITELY be a spring/ summer project
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post

Below is a mockup, actual device will look exactly as pictured.

The door will still work, allowing you to keep your headunit mounted in one DIN, while the actual computer and DVD/CD RW drive mount below your head unit.
I'm a bit confused.

This picture is a photochop, right? The screen has a nice looking indented bezel around it that appears to be the same depth all the way around. But in reality, the stereo door (and rest of the center dash) has that angle to it where 1/3 of it angles in. So if the screen was mounted flat to the door, the lefthand 1/3 of the screen would stick out away from the surface over thin air, right? This would look tacky, IMHO, and also make it impossible for the door to still open (the 1/3 of the screen sticking out would not be able to get past the cig lighter trim). Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how it will actually work, but that picture itself is impossible according to the laws of physics.

Also, from the original thread I was understanding that this carputer would completely replace the stereo system headunit (playing CD's, DVD's, iPod intereface, etc). I was actually wondering how AM/FM would be handled, but now it sounds like that doesn't matter because the computer is just a single din and you still have to use your stock radio? Is this correct? If so, would a stock SVX radio unit work with the CD player/iPod interface on the carputer? What if you have a single din aftermarket headunit? So would volume still have to be handled through the headunit, which is behind the door, but CD player function handled through the touchscreen, which is on the door? So driving down the road listening to a CD you have to keep opening/closing the door to control volume and tracks?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of all the extra functions and am very interested. I just don't want to lose the ease of use of the simple functions I already have in the process!

And if I'm paying $1200+, I don't want to be confused as to what I'm getting.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Graphic Artist

Lol, the picture is a bit confusing, let me clarify.

The screen would meet flush on both the left and right edges, with the center of the door cut out to mount the screen, this would mean that the screen would be angled toward the driver at a 10* angle. It will look very good in this position. This would leave a nicely beveled angle where the angle of the door would otherwise stick out.

As per price - I've opted to go solid state on all of the electronics, save the HDD (which will be suspended in a gel substrate) to keep things reliable, I've opted to have everything embedded in the main board, including bluetooth and wifi. Its a rough environment in the dashboard of the SVX, and I didn't want things coming loose every 3 months.

The HDD itself can also be ordered solid state, using flash memory. But it would be more expensive.

I'm not looking to really make much money off of the first 3 orders. The components alone are somewhere in the 1000 1050 range. With a warrenty, this turns out to be a smoking deal.

As for those who have a stock head unit. This unit can be made to accept the 6 pin cd player dongle.

The unit will also be able to set its own volume. So when you put a CD or DVD in the drive, set your head unit to half volume, and complete all your other volume adjustments via the screen on the door.

I can also make a unit that will amplify itself, and handle AM/FM, but expect to pay a few hundred dollars more for components.

-Patrick

Note, if we go a group buy of 10 orders, I could get significant discounts from my suppliers, and probably cruise in under 1000.

Also, I'm working on a secondary unit for those on a budget, not as powerful, and not as much storage capacity (and powered by WIN CE instead of XP) These units won't ship with bluetooth or wifi (you could add them on your own via the provided USB ports that would run into the glovebox) This unit would probably be availible for around 700.

-Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Graphic Artist

I've updated the image to hopefully show what I'm talking about... The door maintains its lines, and the screen is inset and beveled inside of it.

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-14-2007, 04:43 PM

so this will sit below a single din stereo unit?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Graphic Artist

yepper.
124345678o

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-15-2007, 09:29 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Want! Can't have, but want. I'll see how funds work out by the time you go to order the components. I'd really like one but I want my new engine for my IMpreza first. Around went do you plan on having a first order list set? Either way I might have to be on the second wave or 3rd-4th for this one. Fiance don't work at the moment.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis