Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Phil & Belha

SVX / Legacy radio compatibility

A while ago, I bought a UK SVX CD changer and head unit from another member here. I used the CD changer to replace the broken JDM one in my 92. It is compatible with the JDM head unit but the connectors on the changer itself are different. Fortunately the seller included the last section of the UK wiring harness, so it all plugged together just fine.

So then I started wondering about what to do with the UK SVX head unit. I started comparing it to the head unit in my '96 Legacy. Both head units were pull-out type units made by Panasonic, and they both had the same cage, with the same contacts at the back. So I reasoned that surely if I just slid the SVX head unit into the Legacy cage it would work. But alas no: The power button lit up but the head unit would not turn on.

So I took the cages out and compared them. I discovered that the cage for the SVX unit had an "always hot" pin that was absent from the Legacy cage. The wire was present in the Legacy harness, but not connected through to the cage. So I took the pin from the SVX radio cage and slid it into the connector on the Legacy cage then joined it to the correct wire in the Legacy harness.

Now I can slide either head unit into the cage, they both work. The SVX unit seems to be a little bit better than the Legacy one. It has a logic-controlled tape deck and a jack at the front where I can plug in an MP3 player or whatever.

I can now say with certainty that the Legacy and SVX head units are interchangable. A Legacy CD changer will work with the SVX head unit and vice versa. Also, a Legacy head unit will slide straight into a UK SVX and control the CD changer. Just in case anybody ever needs to know.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 05-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Locker Link Solution

Just so you know, this gave me a reason to go digging through the loft tomorrow to find my legacy head unit. I took the sound system from the Svx and put it in my legacy when it became my daily driver, and i've just not had one since. My original SVX cd and stereo I ebayed, so now I have something until I decide what to do with the sound. I was thinking about building a computer, but still not sure. I figured that the units could probably swap, and now you've confirmed it.

(assuming you guys have the same connectors that is)
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 05-06-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 AM
<<<Alcyone

Of course their connectors are different . . . Look where the damn steering wheel is!

If you have problems with the US connectors get a hold of SVXdc and read this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6530

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 05-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Phil & Belha

To clarify: The wiring harness connector are different. But these Panasonic headunits are the old pull-out type (with a swing out handle). They have a cage which fits into the dash and connects to the wiring harness. Then the headunit slides into the cage. The contacts on the back of the headunit engage with contacts at the back of the cage.

What I've discovered is that the cages are identical, except for the harness connector. So the Legacy radio can be slotted into the SVX radio cage (and vice versa if you wire up the extra power pin which is missing on the Legacy radio cage).
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 05-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
To clarify: The wiring harness connector are different. But these Panasonic headunits are the old pull-out type (with a swing out handle). They have a cage which fits into the dash and connects to the wiring harness. Then the headunit slides into the cage. The contacts on the back of the headunit engage with contacts at the back of the cage.

What I've discovered is that the cages are identical, except for the harness connector. So the Legacy radio can be slotted into the SVX radio cage (and vice versa if you wire up the extra power pin which is missing on the Legacy radio cage).
a ha
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

That's fascinating. That sounds like the old-style "security" feature -- where you remove the whole radio and take it with you. I didn't know that any factory radios did that.

Can you post some pictures?

Is the UK SVX (car's) wiring harness the same as in the US? Like this? [Answer — No]

(SVX 20-pin radio harness connector)

Does the UK Legacy's harness look like this?

(14 pin radio connector used in most other 1993-up Subarus)

For more information than you ever wanted to know about other Subaru models' radios (at least in North America), see this thread I put together on NASIOC. You'll need to create a free account to view the images.

And here's my SVX Radio Installation Guide.

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-25-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: SVX / Legacy radio compatibility

An SVX owner in Sweden e-mailed me asking about differences between his radio and what I describe in my installation document. He said his radio is similar to what's shown in the attached PDF, from a German owner. That radio is the Panasonic model RD25 (sticker on bottom says Model No. 86201PA060, Ref. No. CQ-YF4220A).
European radio connector SVX-RD25-Connect.pdf (214KB)
Translation:
Quote:
[left picture] Radio seen from below, with male plug inserted (when viewing the assembled quick-out tray [installed in the dash], it is the left plug!)

[right picture] View of jack on the radio, mounted in the rear, and associated plug on the quick-out bracket.

The other socket / plug (not shown here) is for the CD changer control.

I have numbered the contacts as follows [3rd picture]

Endstufen = amplifier

Endstufen GND = "amplifier ground" (pins 3–6 = rear left, front left, rear right, front right, respectively) negative sides

Endstufen-Ausgänge = "Amplifier outputs" (pins 13–16, same order) positive sides

Blank (unpopulated pins):
1 Switching output for motor antenna (active plus [voltage]) maximum current ? [unknown] (short-term max. 0.3 A)

7 Front Right
17 Front Left
19 Rear Left
20 Rear Right
Comment on 7, 17, 19, 20: Outputs of the amplifiers through 5.6 KΩ / 680Ω voltage dividers. Associated ground connection is Pin 9
10 Mute Input – Low (ground) = mute on / NC = Normal operation [While muted, operation continues (display is not blanked)]
That reminded me of these pictures that another owner in the UK had sent me awhile back. That was the first time I had seen the radio in a UK SVX.

Click these thumbnails for larger images. Occasionally, the thumbnails will not show, but each also has an "o" which you can click.

Radio cover door closed (RHD):
o
Door open. AM/FM/Tape, with 3.5mm jack for portable CD player:
o
Raising the handle:
o
Begin sliding out the radio:
o
Anti-theft feature — take it with you

Same pictures as attachments (in case ImageShack gets balky):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4064.JPG (531.5 KB, 1212 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4065.JPG (532.0 KB, 1125 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4066.JPG (534.2 KB, 1178 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4067.JPG (537.0 KB, 1728 views)

Last edited by SVXdc; 02-02-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Radio docks into an "inner cage" which is mounted in an "outer cage" (similar to cage used in US/JDM):
o
Rear of radio. Connections via two 20-pin connectors:
o
Another view of rear of radio:
o
Another view inside inner cage:
o
Left-hand connector. Pins for speakers and power. Only 13 of 20 terminals populated:
o
Right-hand connector. Pins for boot-mounted CD changer. Only 10 of 20 terminals populated:
o

Last edited by SVXdc; 01-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Upper trim panel removed, revealing upper mounting screws. It appears that inner cage may be welded to outer cage [UPDATE: No, it just slides in, held by one screw at rear]. At the very least, the outer cage is slightly different than US/JDM:
o
Close-up of right side. Car's radio harness hiding behind the metal face? [UPDATE: Yes, that's one of two]
o
Removing the upper-left screw:
o
Removing the lower screw (after removing the black plastic cover from the rear of the door):
o
The owner wasn't able to remove the outer cage, probably due to the SVX's antenna wires (you need to unplug them first — connectors accessed behind the carpet on the left side of the transmission hump). See section 2.3.2 in my SVX Audio Install Guide.

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-25-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Here are a couple of pictures from Joe (svxistentialist):

Side view of outer cage with inner cage and OEM radio installed:
o
Opposite side, with inner cage removed and lined up underneath:
o

Last edited by SVXdc; 01-30-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Say, Phil — do you still have that extra SVX cage? Can you post some pictures? I'm curious how the antenna(s) connect.

You mentioned having chopped off the connector from the UK SVX radio. Were you talking about the one wired to the back of the cage that connects to the car's harness?

The first picture in the German RD25 PDF almost shows it

Even if that's the one you cut off, I'd still be very interested to compare the UK cage to my pictures of the US one.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Here's the complete pin-out table for the left-hand 20-pin connector inside the cage:
Code:
 1* Motorized antenna control output (+12V = up)
 2  Ground
 3  Rear Left – speaker output
 4  Front Left – speaker output
 5  Rear Right – speaker output
 6  Front Right – speaker output
 7* Front Right pre-amp output +
 8  Antenna input (coax center wire)
 9* Pre-amp output – (common ground)
10* Mute Input: Ground = mute, NC = normal operation

11  +12V Battery (constant / memory)
12  +12V Accessory (key-switched)
13  Rear Left + speaker output
14  Front Left + speaker output
15  Rear Right + speaker output
16  Front Right + speaker output
17* Front Left pre-amp output +
18  Antenna input ground (coax shield wire)
19* Rear Left pre-amp output +
20* Rear Right pre-amp output +

* = No pin on European SVX car's cage (but present on rear of radio)
Pin number orientation:
o
(view is looking into the cage as normally installed in the car)

This connector has no wires for illumination, dimming, or Steering Wheel Control buttons. Could some of those be on the right-hand 20-pin connector? [Answer — Illumination & Dimmer are not. They stop before reaching the back of the cage.]

Does the UK SVX not have the illumination dimming cancellation button (on the tip of the turn signal stalk)? [Answered later — Yes, the car has the button, but the illumination on the radio never changes brightness. It comes on whenever the ignition key is on Accessory or Run.]

The cage has only one antenna wire, connected to the motorized antenna. From comments on a German forum here, it looks like the car raises the antenna whenever the ignition is on. The car still has the rear window antenna, but it's not connected to the radio (one person mentioned he added a switch to manually select either of the two antennas, and disable the motor control line to stop raising that antenna when not needed). [In a reply below, Joe says that his SVX has a switch to raise or lower the antenna. It only works when the ignition is on.]
o

Last edited by SVXdc; 02-03-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Got +12V pin info from the author, Timo
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 AM
Phil & Belha

I probably still have the cage somewhere, I'll have a look for it. I think it is screwed to the outer cage, not welded. The guy I bought it from had removed it from the outer cage and there wasn't any sign of force having been used.

As far as I remember, the cage has a short antenna wire fixed to the back which hangs down behind the carpet of the footwell. As I remember it, the connector between the cage and car is one column wider than the Legacy one. It's got an extra two pins.

The connector on the right hand side of the cage is for the boot mounted cd changer. I figured out the pinout of it at one time, but I didn't keep a record.

You may be interested in this post, although it's not strictly relevant to this discussion.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...85&postcount=8
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 01-12-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
As I remember it, the connector between the cage and car is one column wider than the Legacy one. It's got an extra two pins.
David,

Just to confirm, the correct radio harness for a european SVX is the Autoleads PC2-44-4. It is wider than the old legacy one.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 01-22-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thanks, Phil.

Here are some pictures of the Autoleads PC2-44-4 harness. It fits several Subaru models/years and converts to ISO connectors:
o o
The Subaru side is a 14-position shell, and is the same as what has been used on all Subarus in North America (except the SVX) from1995 to 2007 (and also 1993-1994 Subarus outside North America).

I've posted the pin assignments for that harness here.

Starting in 2008 Subarus, some non-Navigation radios switched to a different harness, but the Navi radios continue to use this 14-position connector for speakers and power.

From the pictures, the Autoleads adapter definitely lacks the Orange/White "Dimmer" wire (at pin #7), a typical omission on aftermarket harnesses.

The harness barely visible in this close-up picture...
o UK SVX connector.JPG
...looks suspiciously like one of the harnesses Subaru used for radios in older cars in the US — 1994 and earlier (1992 and earlier outside North America).

This is the connection between the cage and the car.

There are two harnesses — a 7-pin one with the power connections, and a 9-pin one with the speaker connections.

Autoleads' aftermarket wiring adapter is part number PC2-29-4:
o
The colors of the wires visible in that close-up exactly match the factory wire colors posted by a US Legacy owner, Vikash. His pin-out table is here. Here's the pin-number diagram for the two connectors:
View is looking at the contact pins on the car's harnesses (wires pointing away from you). On the cage's harness (as well as on aftermarket harnesses), this would be the side with the wires pointing towards you, pins pointing away.

In the close-up picture, we're seeing pins 5–9 on the bottom, and pins 1–4 above that, both going from right to left.

BTW, the 9-position one of the the pair is the same harness people are using to talk to the ECU.

An online retailer's site mentions that the PC2-44-4 (single, 14-pin connector) fits "SVX manufactured after 09/1992". Were there perhaps some earlier European '92 SVXs that used this older (PC2-29-2) Subaru harness?

Unfortunately, the UK SVX owner who sent me the radio pictures didn't mention what was his car's year.

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-25-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: