How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Completely dead SVX?

Yesterday evening, my 96 svx lsi completely died...electrically speaking of course. Nothing worked...no headlights, horn, cruise light, turning the ignition resulted in nothing. However, the security light and the hazards did work.

My initial thought is that somehow the car's stock security system disabled itself, but I am lost as to what and how that occurred (if that was the case).

any thoughts? thanks, chris
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Completely dead SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
However, the security light and the hazards did work.
I strongly suspect the fusible link in the main fuse box.

Power to the hazard and security system circuits are supplied from fuses directly connected to the battery and do not involve the fusible link, which is in circuit with most of the other electrical equipment.

The fusible link is located in the main fuse box in the engine compartment and consists of a short piece of wire covered with heat-resistant material and connected by push-on connectors on each end. Corrosion can also be a problem. Just pull it and connect a meter across both ends to see if it has failed

I keep 4 or 5 on hand just in case, as emergency replacements are not available outside of the dealer. The P/N is 82301PA000 and they are about $4.69 each.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 04-04-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Chris,

Check the link for continuity and condition. If you need one send me your address and I will send one out to you on Monday (although your dealer could get you one almost as quickly)

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Thank you very much John. I will be able to pick one up Monday and will report back with results. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:27 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm sure John's info is correct, but it wouldn't hurt to poke around before buying anything. Check all of the connections at your battery terminals and make sure they are clean and tight.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fusible Link.jpg (482.3 KB, 390 views)

Old 04-04-2010, 06:29 PM

fusible link can be checked in seconds... unplug either end and test terminals on fusible link with ohmmeter.

Keith
Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
fusible link can be checked in seconds... unplug either end and test terminals on fusible link with ohmmeter.

Keith
It is not necessary to unplug the link. Simply check it for continuity with nothing in the car turned on.

A better check, is to test for voltage, which should be available at both ends of the link. Best to use a test lamp which draws reasonable current, rather than a sensitive meter.

According to the wiring diagrams, the only circuit not involving the fuse link is that supplying the head lights.

A rather strangely arranged circuit involves the connection of the alternator. I have tried to sort this out but have not received any co-operation. If this circuit is interupted, several sub circuits will be without battery voltage. Check in particular the plug connections and what I understand are white coloured wires running to the alternator.

There is also a 45 amp fuse which supplies the sub board which you should check. This is located alongside, and outside of the fuse link

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It is not necessary to unplug the link. Simply check it for continuity with nothing in the car turned on.

A better check, is to test for voltage, which should be available at both ends of the link. Best to use a test lamp which draws reasonable current, rather than a sensitive meter.
Trevor, not everyone here has the same expertise as you. 99 out of 100 wouldn't have a test lamp. Half the ones that do, can't find it. A test lamp has to be the most primitive contraption ever made to do electrical testing.

I suggested unplugging one end, which would avoid a chance of feedback. The rest of us are probably in the learning mode... at least the intelligent ones are. These simple recommendations would apply to many tests and there is never any greater way to test a fuse than using an Ohmmeter.
If you personally could get everyone on this form together in a group and lecture them all day, every day, and try to get them to follow your example, you would drive most insane.
Cheers...
Keith
Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM

I would like to clarify my last post...
The statement "The rest of us are probably in the learning mode... at least the intelligent ones are. " simply means that I consider everyone that is open, willing, and anxious to learn an "intelligent person".

I will be 80 in June and have never met a single person that I couldn't learn something from.

Keith
Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Trevor, not everyone here has the same expertise as you. 99 out of 100 wouldn't have a test lamp. Half the ones that do, can't find it. A test lamp has to be the most primitive contraption ever made to do electrical testing.

I suggested unplugging one end, which would avoid a chance of feedback. The rest of us are probably in the learning mode... at least the intelligent ones are. These simple recommendations would apply to many tests and there is never any greater way to test a fuse than using an Ohmmeter.
If you personally could get everyone on this form together in a group and lecture them all day, every day, and try to get them to follow your example, you would drive most insane.
Cheers...
Keith
Keith,

It is best that members are properly advised. A test lamp drawing current will show up a fault which a high impedance meter may not detect. A test lamp combined with a screwdriver, or even better one with a test spike, cam be purchased at my local $2 shop for exactly that, i.e. N.Z. two dollars. For much automotive testing it is superior to a meter.

You state --- "there is never any greater way to test a fuse than using an Ohmmeter." N.B. An ordinary ohmmeter will not disclose a high resistance fault e.g. caused by slight corrosion, as will a device which draws current. The higher the wattage of the bulb in the lamp, the better. An old faulty double filament headlamp bulb with one filament still intact, makes a no cost, ideal tester. Grab one complete with holder and wires from a wreck.

Once upon a time there was one with expertise posting, by the name of Beav. He would have instructed you exactly as I am doing. Sadly he became fed up with this place and stupid people.

You appear to be of the opinion that those with expertise should refrain from helping others. Your logic is faulty, as is your continual sarcasm.

Rattle your dags.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!