Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 PM

What to do with an SVX. Keep, sell it, part it out?

Well, I have to make a decision soon about this 1992 Claret that I bought.

I got it w/200k on the ticker an a nasty hole in the engine. Previous owner, ran it w/o oil and number 5 rod was destroyed.

I have a 10k mile engine that I am going to put into it, but there is still a question of the tranny. I did not drive it so I do not know if it is any good. It does have tranny cooler on and and the tranny fluid did not have a burned smell and was bright red.

The interior is messed up. Driver's seat is badly torn, there are some bad tears in the rear seats. The interior smells like smoke. It also needs a paint job.

Here is my soobie fleet,
1982 BRAT w/an EJ18 swap.
1987 RX w/an EJ22t swap
1992 Silver SVX w/156k, HID, 2006 STi wheels
2000 OBS slight rod noise above 4k rpm.
Initially, I had lined up a space at a friends yard to use as workspace and storage so I was going to do some musical cars.
Original plan was to complete the SVX, then take the OBS and do a EJ25 frankenstein motor build. Then take the BRAT and drop in an EG33 and FT4W tranny. BUT I lost the space so now it's all up in the air.

I live in an apartment and I have to park on the street so maintaing 5 cars is a bit much.

What to do what to do??
keep it, sell it part it out?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: What to do with an SVX. Keep, sell it, part it out?

I'd put the engine in it and sell it. Seems like an awful "complete" car to part out, even if it has a few issues, nothing sounds unfixable.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Over 200K.
Needs engine.
Needs tranny, possibly (most likely)
Interior shot.
Needs paint.
No place to keep it.
Market may not be great in your area.

I'll probably get flamed, but I say part it.
Save the parts for your wifes SVX.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

Put the EG33 in the OBS.....
Old 11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

I agree with Rob and Mike... make a parts car out of it for yourself and do some crazy isht to the impreza. The impreza would be a cool project.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Burn your wife and forget the impreza! Wait, I mean burn the impreza and forget your wife. Sure a parts car would be nice but you may be able to make a nice profit from selling a nice SVX to a young person..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 AM

EG33 impreza would be pretty sick. Problem is the smog and engine swap laws here in Cali.

I have pretty good luck doing swaps with newer engines into older bodies and getting them to pass the smog referee inspection, but if I try to put an older engine in a newer body there is no way to get it to pass.

It does suck to part out this car b/c it is complete and will just need about two weekends of work to make it a runner, but then I will loose the glass and other bits that I initially wanted the car for. The original idea on buying this was that I had two other SVXers lined up to take parts and we were going to divide it up accordingly. Nomake Wan sold his SVX and the other person lost her job at that time so I was stuck with it by myself. Then my wife mentioned that it would be cool to have his and hers SVXii and I should fix it. I stumbled upon a EG33 at a wreckers w/onlk 10k on it. Had to get it. I scored some 1998 legacy GT seats to put in temporary should I decide to get the seats redone. The engine just needs the t-belts and the accessories put on and it should be ready to drop in. I was working on it this weekend and I noticed that the pass side front strut mount was torn. I am pretty sure that the struts will need to be replaced as well. Tranny is the big question mark. If I had time and space I would be looking at a 5 spd swap with a good tranny, but since I have probably until the end of December to make this happen, and with my anniversary, christmas and other assorted activities, I really doubt that I can get it done by them. Might have to take a day or two off work to complete the project.

I just tallied the costs so far and overall, I am in the SVX about $1300.00. I need another 400 or so to get it completed plus time. I would probably be looking to sell it for $2500 or so, maybe more if I feel confident about the tranny.

Well thanks for the input, will let you know how it turns out.

BW
Old 11-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

If you're into it for $1300 already, you might as well finish the job.
Once you have it running, you can find out what the tranny is like.
Then be able to better get a figure for a sale.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 PM

got the car moving this weekend
It's a lot more messed up than I originally thought.

front sway bar bushing. rear diff bushing, front drivers strut mount are all toast
there is some nasty torque binding at slow speed turns. So either replace with a junkyard auto tranny, do a 5 speed swap, replace Clutch pack and center tiff bits and the duty sol. or convert to Rwd
the radiator needs to be replaced (overheats has new t-stat but there is 200K on the odo.) & I need 2 O2 sensors
Add a jacked up interior & peeling paint & it's quickly becoming a money pit
Going to put its on craigslist for what I am in and see if I get a bite
otherwise will see its posted for parting out

Last edited by s'ko; 05-12-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Wow, that sounds like a rough car to put a 10K mile engine into...

I would say, if you aren't really enthused about the car, take what you need, or might need for the other SVX, and sell the rough one as a roller project, or a parts car, with or without the engine. (you might want to keep the engine for the other SVX, or sell it on it's own merit, unless someone really wants to buy both the car and the engine at the same time.

I hate to see a complete car go to parts... but without the engine (keeping that separate) and with drivetrain and suspension, interior and paint problems... how complete of a car can it really be considered to be? it is sounding like parts, unless someone really wants a shell to start from scratch and build back up in a very particular way, rather than just buying a running used SVX.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Is the body straight? I've got an SVX that runs, but got hit about 3 years ago and has sat ever since. It fell into my lap just a few weeks ago, and I've since discovered that the rear subframe is bent and broken. In short I've got an engine, drivetrain, interior, etc, with no body to put it in. My only issue is being out of work right now (though I'll hopefully have a job by friday) so I've really got nothing to offer you at this point in time. I'd really like to see if we could at least save one car out of this situation, though, and I'd be willing to pay a bit for a good body when I have the money.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

It'd be a little work, but...put 10k mile engine in the wife's SVX, put 156k mile engine into this one, sell this one as a running project? You'd get a lot more bites / interest on something that at least runs / moves around than a roller. And, you shouldn't have to worry about the hard parts on the 10k mile engine in the other car for a long time. I'd do a full reseal while it was out before putting it in though.

Plus, if you sell it with a motor, you might attract the vanagon / dune buggy swap crowd. Seems like those guys are always looking for running EG33s.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM

Thumbs down Re: What to do with an SVX. Keep, sell it, part it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwheels View Post
Is the body straight? I've got an SVX that runs, but got hit about 3 years ago and has sat ever since. It fell into my lap just a few weeks ago, and I've since discovered that the rear subframe is bent and broken. In short I've got an engine, drivetrain, interior, etc, with no body to put it in. My only issue is being out of work right now (though I'll hopefully have a job by friday) so I've really got nothing to offer you at this point in time. I'd really like to see if we could at least save one car out of this situation, though, and I'd be willing to pay a bit for a good body when I have the money.
you have pm.

call so we can make arrangements