Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Bubbling Noise???

This may be coming from a sort of Vapor Lock, but I have noticed a somewhat Bubbling Noise in the right rear area from time to time.

It's not loud enough to show during driving, and it seems to be only on first startup of the day.

Any input on what to check would be appreciated.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
hey weird I've had this noise a few times too, only after driving for a while and turning the car off at home
Old 09-10-2007, 06:14 AM

Fuel gurgling in the tank. Normal life sounds, if my cars are any indication.

dcb
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Doesn't the fuel tank have a transfer pump? If so, I'd put even $$$ on that being your noise.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
Mine makes the same noise. I always assumed it was the fuel tank depressurizing after the fuel pump turns off.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by budbaer View Post
Mine makes the same noise. I always assumed it was the fuel tank depressurizing after the fuel pump turns off.
Thanks all..

The noise is during startup, and there is a noise on shutdown, but that one comes from the Driver's side, and I assume that is a pump.

I'll pay more attention to conditions in the next few days, since it's due to warm up again here.

Edit.... It just sounds different from the outside. If you listen to the right rear quarter, you can hear it very clearly.
It sounds more like a mechanical sound from the inside. I thought maybe I had the right rear diff letting go.

Thanks again.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 09-11-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: don't need another post for this one.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Not specifically an answer for the poster, but an answer to others.

As a three-time SVX owner (offender?) I will say that noises on startup and shutdown seem to be the norm. It's a Subaru thing... every Subaru I owned (including a Loyale and a Legacy) demonstrated this problem. There's a bubbling noise after the engine shuts down... well, I traced this in my SVX to the cooling and air conditioning systems. They both do it, and cause slightly different noises. A slight hissing/bubbling noise is the A/C. A deeper bubbling noise is the cooling system.

Now, a bubbling on startup is usually the same thing. Bear in mind though that I have not encountered it being audbile outside the car... at least not significantly (maybe I didn't get out of the car fast enough).

I would get concerned about a noise that's loud enough to hear from outside the car... but anything from inside is probably relatively benign.

Hope this helps put someones mind at ease.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
I've been hearing it inside the car and outside the car if the hood is opened when im shutting her down... just assumed it was coolant/fuel/freon settling down for the night
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Yeah, that's sort of the sound I was describing. It may be nothing... as I said every Subaru I've ever owned did this and I never had a problem.

Hope that helps ease your mind a little.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.