How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.
It stopped ticking.

Started 'er up this morning about 1:30pm, and she was purrin like a tiger.

Even so I poured the Marvel into the gas and oil. Can't hurt.

The funny part was, when I left me ma's place last night her exact words were "It's not going to fix itself."

I'm going to assume for now I had avery sticky valve and the cleaner and booster I poured in the night prior cleared it up.

Just between you and me, there was the slightest gas smell, as if my fuel weren't all being burned, and obviously performance was down, but now it's roaring again, though I am easy on the pedal. I'm not taking this as if nothing is wrong.

Thanks for the help though, I is a little more smarter than I was a couple days ago.
heh... ever sence i got my SVX... I've had the valve tick... still to this day... Performance isnt hurt... its just a very annoying sound.
My Good Buddy has an Idea to get rid of the sound... kinda like the Marvel stuff... but different.

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 09-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
It came today, while driving, then I went to CompUSA for a new power supply to fix this puter, and on the way back the tick went away again.
Weird.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I would say to check the flex plate. The tranny shop could have damaged this when it was out. The flexplate is between the engine and tranny. It is the "coupling". It bolts to the crank shaft near the inside diameter of the flexplate and at the outside diameter of the flexplate it bolts to the torque converter. The bolts on the outside diameter of the flexplate have to be removed to take out the tranny. The four bolts are removed through an access hole near the back of the engine sort of under where the throttle cables connect to the throttle body.

There are also two alignment pins between the engine block and tranny housing. These two pins have to be in place to properly align the engine and transmission. If not the flexplate will wear out.

If the noise comes again get under the X and listen. If it's the flexplate it will be louder under the X. There is a clear path through the air for the noise to get out under there.

I think that is possible from your hard driving and downshifting that noise can come and go.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I will give it some "spirited" driving again and see if the noise comes back. If it does I will check and listen underneath. If it seems to be the flexplate, I will take it to Affordable.
As of now, I will try to settle this insurance thing within the next half hour, and write myself a note to get a switch, among other miscellaneous things I will have on my to-do list.
I will thank you for the input.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to svxin
flex plate i had the same problem u should take it to a shop before more dammage can happen.my svx was pure luck my xt on the other hand ruind my trq converter and busted up the back of the block