Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2004, 09:37 AM

Problem with Driver side window

A couple days ago, I went to roll down my driver side window and it just made sorta a pop noise and sounded like it was going down but the window didn't go anywhere. My b/f checked it out and he says its probably off the track since he can push the window up and down by hand. He was going to take the door panel off today and try and fix it. Is there anything special he should know before taking off the door panel? Any tips, tricks? He said it looks pretty straight forward..a couple screws and probably the standard pop rivets or whatever. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Phil & Belha

The door panel comes off easily.

Five Screws:

2 obvious ones near the hinges.
1 under a plastic flap below the handle you pull to open the door from the inside.
2 under the felt strip inside the armrest.

Then pull outwards at the bottom (there's 4 or 5 plastic clips) and lift upwards.

Phil.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:17 PM

do a search for sleeve lock regulator. it's not all that uncommon and a relatively cheap and easy fix.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:05 PM

Well i took the panel off. First of all the window stays up on its own. even if I push the down button...the window stays up. I can push it with my hand up and down. Here is the problem. Took the door panel off. Of course there is really only one place you can get between the two metal panels to access anything. There is a metal wire type thing that is very loose. Also, when I push the button to close the window I saw a white plastic piece attached to the wire go up. I lowered it again, and then the cable came loose, and now when i push the switch to lower or close the window the motor only makes a little noise and nothing really moves.

I took it to a glass shop near here and they looked at it and said it needs a regulator. He says its common with the cable systems. I've had no experience with power windows before. Plus I can't even figure out how to get access to where the regulator and motor would be. What a PITA!

So what can i do to fix this thing on my own. He said he'd call and get a price on the part and then let me know a price by monday. I'd like to fix it ASAP since its very nice out and it sucks pushing the window down with my hand, and then having to pull it out of the door when i get out of the car. Is there a way to get the innermost metal panel off to access anything?

Last edited by SVXGIRL182; 04-16-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Tim-H

I don't think id trust the guy saying its the regulator. It sounds like the cable and bracket just came off the glass. But i could be wrong.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:42 PM

the whire plastic piece you saw go by is the sleeve lock regulator, a less than $5 part. The wires, if not broken/frayed can be put back on the pulley and there is an adjuster at the motor for tension.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:05 PM

Ok, so is there anyway to get at the mechanical parts easier? Does any of the metal paneling come off?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXGIRL182
Ok, so is there anyway to get at the mechanical parts easier? Does any of the metal paneling come off?
not that I know of, sorry.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:57 PM

Did you ever replace or fix the window motor or assembly? I guess I'm gonna have to feel it out tomorrow. Any diagrams or anything you can point me towards?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXGIRL182
Did you ever replace or fix the window motor or assembly? I guess I'm gonna have to feel it out tomorrow. Any diagrams or anything you can point me towards?

Thanks for all your help.
no sorry, all I've done is the sleeve lock. see this post:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=10854

There has been discussion on the forum about the regulator and the cable, you're just gonna have to search until you find it. Someone (don't remember who) even used a bicycle cable to make a repair - probably depends on your mechanical talent.

here's a diagram from SubaruParts.com http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=601-1

it shows the sleeve lock part (which isn't listed on the 92 model page, but I know first hand it works since I've used it on a 92 myself).
Old 04-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
SVX Girl,
Check your PM's...

I have a spare drivers window regulator, without the motor, but it sounds like your motor works.

Do you still have those wheels?? Wanna trade?

Oh, I have replaced my regulator. There is no way to remove the metal panel. And I had to remove the glass to get the regulator out of the door....
Old 04-18-2004, 03:15 PM
leviathan

Sucks...

I think I have the same deal with my passenger window. The guy at the body shop that will be fixing it told me that the window motor is essentially designed to fail. With that cable moving up and down so often it has the same effect of rubbing a metal cable on a pane of glass. it cuts right through it. Eventually the cable doesn't wrap around very well anymore because it has dug itself a hole into the motor. I am having mine replaced for $137.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I replaced the wire for the window with a bicycle brake cable ($2.99@ wallyworld) and it has held up for the past 2 years or so.

not sure what your mechanic is saying about the wire digging a hole in the motor, it wraps around a pulley - I didnt see any wear on the pulley.

Either the wire gets frayed and breaks or the sleeve lock breaks is pretty much my experience and what I have read here.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:04 AM
Canadian eh!

My window cable broke on the passenger's side about 2 years ago and I too replaced it with bicycle brake cables and it still works fine...

It takes a little concentration to figure out how to wind it around the pulley but it works.

Labour intensive but cheap ($$) fix...

Joe 90
Old 04-19-2004, 12:58 PM
leviathan

My mistake.

Yeah, I meant the pulley. I think my problem is different. The wire won't wrap around the pulley correctly because of the wear on it.