How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-12-2004, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to speedracer
duh... me not know how to fix

so... I am confused!!! I have been reading every thread with ''Transmission" in the title. I can't find anything that sounds like my problem.

first off, let me tell you my mechanical apptitude. My friends call me "mongo" there is a reason for this. On all the threads I have been hearing instructions that don't make any sense to me. I can change a tire and follow directions.

I have a 92. The tranny is NOT overheating but after I drove it off Mt. Baker on saturday it was running fine; down hill at about 50-60mph. Then I stopped and the engine was reving high, 4-5K, but not getting any power. I parked it over night and hitched down. The next day I drove away and it went through all the gears until the temp guage was at normal running temp, half way on the guage. Then I would put very little preasure on the accel. and the rpms would ramp up... again nothing in performance. so I drove it down about 15 miles at about 4k rpms and 50mph. I got to my friends house and there was smoke, white, coming from the bottom of the car.

I smelled the tranny dipstick<not a sexual move> and it smelled fine and was clean. It will shift when the car is cold, but goes to hell when it gets warmed up.

Pa Pa Pa PLEEEEZZZZZE help me!!!!

could you gods of the SVX please help me get me back on the road. I am a poor student and can't afford a new tranny. May I , pretty please--with cherries on top-- have directions, diagnosis, or refural to a thread with the answers a simpleton would understand and could fix. and i don't think my insurance company would appreciate a match and oily rag in the gas tank.

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Seedracer

I am in Bellingham every day at work. I would be happy to talk with you and try to figure out what is happening. I may be able to tell you what is happening. I need some more info before I can do that though. PM or email me with your phone number and I will try to help.

To email, click on Earl and it will take you to the address automatically. PM would be the best way though.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-13-2004, 02:15 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Speedracer

I had the same thing happen to me. I changed the tranny fluid and filter. Also added Lucas transmission additive. It might be a good idea to put on an external tranny filter NOW. the next thing that happened to mine was a new tranny. I hope you cought it in time. Also start savign for a new tranny. Motosports Warehouse has a rebuilt tranny for $2,700 + core. Here is the link.
http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorspor...uttranaod.html

Good luck

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
$2,700?

I went to AAMCO a little bit ago and they quoted me $1,600 to rebuild it and that came with a lifetime guarantee. I think i would rather go that route than one from motorsports. Just my $.02

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
let me clarify...

Lifetime guarantee was at that store. Had a 100,000 warantee nationwide.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:26 AM
red95svx

Aamco doesn't exactly equal quality though. You get what you pay for. Keep in mind Aamco and Maaco are owned by the same company, and you know what most people think about Maaco's paint!

Dave
Old 04-13-2004, 09:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Please post threads in the appropriate forum. This belongs in Tech Q&A.

Speedracer, something very similar happened to my transmission. I had it flushed, had the internal screen replaced, and it worked fine...

...for about a week. Then I had to replace the transmission.

It sounds to me like you have a similar hydraulic pressure problem. The transmission isn't able to apply the pressure necessary to keep gears engaged. So, as you're driving along at 4k rpm, the clutches are slipping constantly, burning themselves and the fluid while they're at it.

Even if your pressure problem could be solved, I think it's likely that you've done irreparable harm to your transmission. Besides, without any kind of trouble code being reported by your TCU, that pressure problem is likely caused by a blockage. And where do you think the stuff causing the blockage came from? Your clutches.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 04-13-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Aamco doesn't exactly equal quality though. You get what you pay for. Keep in mind Aamco and Maaco are owned by the same company, and you know what most people think about Maaco's paint!

Dave
Or you could say that all they do is transmissions, so maybe they know a thing or two. Right?

I had Aamco replace one of my axles on the SVX. Except for the 600lb-ft impact wrench they used on my lugnuts, I think they did a fine job and they were the cheapest around. That was a few years ago and the axle is still fine.

I think, like any chain, it all depends on who runs the local store. Those Aamco guys knew their stuff, but I can't speak for any other locations.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-13-2004, 11:25 AM
MikeInd

Re: $2,700?

Quote:
Originally posted by halistan
I went to AAMCO a little bit ago and they quoted me $1,600 to rebuild it and that came with a lifetime guarantee. I think i would rather go that route than one from motorsports. Just my $.02

~Ray
I saw a posting somewhere that someone called AAMCO and asked them if they offered a lifetime warranty and they were told NO and the shops should not be offering something that the corp office does not back.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:28 AM
MikeInd

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX-FF
Speedracer

I had the same thing happen to me. I changed the tranny fluid and filter. Also added Lucas transmission additive. It might be a good idea to put on an external tranny filter NOW. the next thing that happened to mine was a new tranny. I hope you cought it in time. Also start savign for a new tranny. Motosports Warehouse has a rebuilt tranny for $2,700 + core. Here is the link.
http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorspor...uttranaod.html

Good luck

Steve
What is the warranty on there tranny's Who would you go to if you had a problem?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Remember all your do get what you pay for. I just finished replacing my tranny. I did a '96 Impreza swap to save time. A used tranny with rear cost me $950.00 I did all the work myself. It was not hard at all. I also got a 100 day waranty on parts, and a lifetime on labor. I now run with 4.11 gears. Verrrry nice

MikeInd you would go to the person that put it in.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-13-2004, 11:49 AM

Re: Re: $2,700?

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeInd

I saw a posting somewhere that someone called AAMCO and asked them if they offered a lifetime warranty and they were told NO and the shops should not be offering something that the corp office does not back.
http://www.aamco.com/main/warranties...-lifetime.html

Quote:
With an AAMCO Lifetime Service Agreement, your transmission is covered for as long as you own your car - no matter how many miles you drive it over the years.

The Lifetime plan covers your transmission and torque converter against defective transmission materials and workmanship - parts or labor - as long as you own your car.

The AAMCO Lifetime Service Agreement is null and void if the failure is caused by accident or alterations, or if the covered vehicle is converted from a passenger vehicle to a commercial vehicle, or is used for commercial purposes. Be sure to read your AAMCO Lifetime Agreement to fully understand all of your rights and any other restrictions that apply.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Or you could say that all they do is transmissions, so maybe they know a thing or two. Right?

I had Aamco replace one of my axles on the SVX. Except for the 600lb-ft impact wrench they used on my lugnuts, I think they did a fine job and they were the cheapest around. That was a few years ago and the axle is still fine.

I think, like any chain, it all depends on who runs the local store. Those Aamco guys knew their stuff, but I can't speak for any other locations.

Jack of all tranny's, master of none.

Yugo only made cars, but they couldn't get those right!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 04-13-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:

Jack of all tranny's, master of none.

Yugo only made cars, but they couldn't get those right!

Dave
Dave, Where are you an Assistant Part Manager? Dealership or Independent Parts house?
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 04-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
Aamco doesn't exactly equal quality though.
There are three Aamco shops in this state I can warn you not to visit.

Aamco told me (when I called) that they no longer offer lifetime warrantees and that their web site is wrong. Don't know if the guy was right or not.

My first Aamco tranny lasted almost 8k.