Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 PM

Question Wheel Bearing: Outer Race stuck

I am currently in the middle of replacing my driver's side rear wheel bearing using the ever popular "hub tamer method". I got the hub out following the hub tamer instructions. The race from the old bearing was stuck to the hub, no problem, that came off fine using the hub tamer. After I removed the hub, I removed the retaining ring from the axle housing. I then followed the hub tamer instructions and this removed the other inner race (towards the center of the car). I am now left with the outer race stuck in the axle housing.

How do I get this out???

I am guessing that I did something wrong, I have reviewed the hub tamer instructions and the only thing I can think of is the instructions show the removal of the bearing backwards. The instructions show the bearing being pressed toward the center of the car to remove the bearing. It appears to me that the bearing must be pressed out away from the center of the car to be removed (why else remove the retaining ring).

Anyone experienced this? Any recommendations on removing the outer race from the axle housing?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 AM

Problem Solved

In case anyone else ever runs into this, I was able to get the outer race out by using part #314302 from the hub tamer kit on the back side of the race and use the hub tamer to press the race out.