Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 05:51 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Hey Subafreak:

How serious are you about being able to make more? I'm in the market, Astralbody needs one, and I bet you could sell one to GreenMarine! I've got the spare SVX for a pattern, but getting it to RI could be a pain. Can you pull yours to use as a pattern easy enough to make it worthwhile?

What would it take?

Alex, do you think your custom shop could build more?

I'd need them to be shipped. I'm not near anything at all except cotton fields

-P^uL
Old 03-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Superbeast

Well....I am going to pick up a parts SVX today. I'll think about but I don't want to make any promises yet. I don't really have alot of time right now, and I know some of you are needing this stuff right now.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:16 PM

I might be able to wait for a short while.

Seriously- think about it.

-Paul
Old 03-20-2004, 02:03 PM
astralbody

I have some time for your crossmember!!!!
If you can build more, I'M IN!!!!!
I would love ya!

Hey svxhunter I contacted the shop Alex used they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'll let you know though.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:45 PM

Astralbody:

I've contacted Alex's shop, and they said they couldn't do it long distance. They'd have to have the car, as the clearances are less than 1/4".

Are you near them? Are you considering hiring them? If so, maybe they could build two at the same time, using your car as a model. You'd end up with the second one- they certainly ought to have the bugs worked out by then!

Let me know if you pursue this. I very serious, and maybe you can get a little discount if they do 2.

Thanks,
-P^uL
Old 03-20-2004, 05:52 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
I talked to Paul, the guy that did my crossmember a couple of weeks ago; he noted that it takes a lot of work to get the crossmember to work properly, and since it is so tight under there he would definitely need an SVX in his garage to do the work. This would be a pretty big bottleneck if more than a couple of crossmembers are to be made...food for thought I guess

Victoria, sending PM shortly...

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 03-20-2004, 05:53 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
Astralbody:

I've contacted Alex's shop, and they said they couldn't do it long distance. They'd have to have the car, as the clearances are less than 1/4".
Ah, I see another Paul has weighed-in

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 03-20-2004, 08:02 PM
astralbody

Hey Paul

I'm not sure yet....I might just be making my own off from alex and suba crossmembers, I will keep you in the loop though either way. See if we can get a standard xmember created here

Alex got PM sent you one....

Plus I will say this now Since I'm not happy with any shifter boots really, I'm designing a aluminum shifter surround for the shifter boot, I will have specs and whatnot as I find the time to work on it and then have it machined.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Superbeast

I'll still think about it. I would have to build another one from a stock SVX becouse I didn't design mine around a stock exaust so if I used mine for a jig I don't know that it would clear the exaust.

LIke I said I don't think I'll have a chance to get working on it untill after Reading so if your willing to wait awile I see what I can do.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:08 AM

Wow, that's a little weird. I was just thinking about you and this thread, and then you post.

I seems to me you could make a good bit if you devoted a day or two to this. You've done a nice job, you've got a good reputation, and there seems to be a small market. You could probably put 5 together with 3 of them pre-sold and do pretty well for a day or two.

I'm not pushing you, I have other options. But I would rather deal with a fellow SVXer if I can.

Regarding the time: I could wait 'till after Reading, but not a whole lot longer. I don't know about other people. It doesn't sound like Astralbody could wait.

Regarding exhaust: That would also not mattter to me. If I had to, I'd move the exhaust. Although, if you were trying to build several sets, it would certrainly be wise to consider the stock exhaust.

Enjoy yourself at Reading.

I'll have to be satisfied whooping some tail in FL at the grassroots Motorsports Challenge! I'm sure glad I've still got my SVX racer!! I have to go to my shop and take it for a lap around the block whenever I want my SVX fix!

-P^uL
Old 03-23-2004, 02:03 PM
astralbody

Hi

I'd be willing to wait if I don't get mine it done before Reading..
I would rather have Subafreaks Xmember.

Paul at the shop that did Alex's stated it would be 210 for the xmember.

The exhaust will probably be adjusted a little on mine so there is no issue there with the crossmember.

I agree with Paul (svxhunter) I would rather deal with a fellow
SVXer also!

later everyone
Old 03-23-2004, 05:42 PM

Sounds like its in your court, SubaFreak. Keep us posted!

Victoria, if you end up going with Alex's fabricator, I'm interested. I won't be able to work with him from across the country unless you do so he can use your car as a pattern.

You are further along with your swap than me. If you can wait for SubaFreak, I can too!

Did you get started this weekend?

-P^uL
Old 03-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Superbeast

Geeze the pressure! OK, if you guys can wait then you can wait, if you get antzy and go for it before then, no hard feelings.

If I do make them to sell they will be made to work with the stock exaust. I should have one stock tranny mount and X-member brakets to start with but will probly have to get your stock peices back as cores so I can make more. That or start spending money at junk yards. (not easy or cheap parts to get I'm sure).

What kinda price would y'all be willing to pay for the X-members? I think $200 seems high from a buying standpoint but seems like a good price from a building standpiont, at least to get started, once the jig is made, building should be an easy process. Let me know you thinking price range on these too, and I'll start planning on getting some done when I get back from Reading.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:52 PM

Are you suggesting the prototype is worth something like $200, but building several more get cheaper?

I agree it seemed a little high, but I'm exploring options.

What if the initial building cost was spread out over 5 pieces? Could that make it work better for everyone?

-P^uL
Old 03-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Superbeast

I guess saying one person would have to pay twice as much for the first one than everone else is kinda dumb. I guess if I had at least 3 made to sell then I would be OK. But then I would need at least three stock mounts ready to go or if I had 3 already sold and they were for cars that arn't going anywhere anyway then they could just send me the parts I need from the cars to build the X-member. If I had 3 pre-sold I could try and make it a $75 round trip item depending on shipping. It will be a bit of a large and abnormal shipping item. Does that sound like a better deal?