How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-31-2001, 10:41 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Question SVX Rotor Dimensions

Does anyone have the SVX rotor dimensions?

I'm looking for the distance from wheel mounting surface to the rotor surface, thickness of the rotor, and the diameter.

Someone from here or at the Yahooligans a while back mentioned that dimensionally the 300ZX rotors and the SVX rotors are the same size.

I have access to the dimensions of all the Brembo rotors, and would like to find out whether they have anything that will work on the SVX or not, since I'm looking into a new pair of front rotors.

Right now, my choices are:

OE - $110/ea
Aimco from Autozone - $61/ea
Raybestos - $95/ea
ART Cryo Treated Slotted - $275/pair (I think that's the approx price w/o the pads)
Motorsport Warehouse Drilled/Slotted - $200/ea
Brembo - $??? (if it fits)

Cryo-Treating them in Toronto - $2.93CDN/pound

VK
Old 08-01-2001, 05:38 AM
SVXtypeR

are you going "BIG"?

I've got my old rotors sitting in a box in my closet. I replaced them due to pulsing, and kept them to send to AP Racing for machining of hats for an oversize kit (I'm designing a mount for Porsche GT2 380x32mm rotors and Movit six-piston calipers up front). I don't have a mic, so the measurements I give you will only be accurate to +/- .5 mm or so. If that resolution is OK, let me know and I can pull them out and give you complete specs tonite.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:01 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Yeah, that'd be great!

At this point, I'm looking for approximate measurements, and see if there's anything close to fitting the SVX.

If there's something similar, I'm willing to order it and try it on.

VK
Old 08-01-2001, 09:04 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Yeah I have my old ones I replaced 2 weeks ago as well. Same deal though, won't be very accurate but I can get you a close guess. If there are no posts tomorrow, I will post mine up.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-01-2001, 12:17 PM
The Road Less Traveled

OK, these are the dimensions for the 300ZX rotors from the Brembo book(1990 and later):

Rotor Diameter - 280mm
Rotor Braking Surface Thickness - 30mm
Rotor Total Thickness - 53.7mm
Centering Hole Diameter - 68mm

For the 87-89 300ZX:

Rotor Diameter - 280mm
Rotor Braking Surface Thickness - 26mm
Rotor Total Thickness - 57.2mm
Centering Hole Diameter - 68mm

I hope one of these will match what's on the SVX...
Old 08-01-2001, 01:58 PM

Here was another question...

are you sure that 300ZX rotors have the exact same bolt pattern? Seems to be that Nissan/Datsun's didn't come with the same type...although I could be wrong.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that it is a stadard 5X100(mm) bolt pattern. Not sure what that work's out to in inches, hey I'm Canadian to eh!

Also is there any reason you are so deadset on Brembo? I must admit they make some fantastic rotors, but will you really see a difference?

I bought mine from JC Sports, and so far have loved them. They are stock rotors, except they drill and slot them. They also cadmium dip them so they won't rust. They cost me $210 (US), about half what Motorsport Warehouse or ART wanted. I would check again on your price from ART they quoted me $352 plus an EXTRA $65 for pads. So roughly $425.

Either way, it's worth looking at. I love the best stuff to, but I'm also not taking my car to the track either. Mine will serve their purpose.

Ryan

Old 08-01-2001, 02:39 PM
sith

Front rotors and pads from art ran me $368 shipped about 2 months ago..
Old 08-01-2001, 03:14 PM
SVXtypeR

SVX rotor specs

overall rotor diamater
297mm

outboard hat face to outboard rotor face depth
30mm

hat diamater
157mm

hub bore diamater (size of the hole that center the rotor on the hub)
57mm

hat depth (thickness of metal)
7mm

rotor and hat depth (thickness from backside of rotor to hub mounting face of hat)
57mm

disc thickness (two friction disks separated by the 13mm thick vanes make the overall rotor thickness)
7mm

overall rotor thickness
27mm

I know my description is kinda confusing, I'll provide an illustration when I get back from travel next week.

BTW- The SVX, 300ZX and almost all other cars on the road today share a bolt circle of 5x114.3mm. This size was made so popular by the Japanese in the 70's and 80's that American and European automakers simply followed suit. As a rule of thumb, any passenger car you come across with 5 lugs will have this bolt pattern.
Old 08-01-2001, 03:26 PM

Hmm I always thought it was 100mm...good to know.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 08-01-2001, 09:59 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: SVX rotor specs

Except for Subaru, of course. Other than the SVX, I think all the other 5 lugs on any Subaru is a 5x100.

I have a '00 Legacy that won't share rims with my SVX.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
BTW- The SVX, 300ZX and almost all other cars on the road today share a bolt circle of 5x114.3mm. This size was made so popular by the Japanese in the 70's and 80's that American and European automakers simply followed suit. As a rule of thumb, any passenger car you come across with 5 lugs will have this bolt pattern.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:09 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Here was another question...

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Also is there any reason you are so deadset on Brembo? I must admit they make some fantastic rotors, but will you really see a difference?
No reason, but one of my car repair shops I use sell tons of Brembo, and could get me a good price on it.

Quote:
I bought mine from JC Sports, and so far have loved them. They are stock rotors, except they drill and slot them. They also cadmium dip them so they won't rust. They cost me $210 (US), about half what Motorsport Warehouse or ART wanted. I would check again on your price from ART they quoted me $352 plus an EXTRA $65 for pads. So roughly $425.
$210US for slotted/drilled is pretty good. They're probably using the Aimco and drilling/slotting it themselves.

With ART, you have to mention the Yahooligans SVX club to get their preferred pricing. I still have the quote in my e-mail from last week from them for $345US w/pads for the front.

I don't drive the car particularly hard, so really I don't have to have the Brembo's. I am however very concerned with warped rotors. I remember with my '86 Volvo 740 that the rotors would warp every 1/2 year, and it just gets VERY annoying.

I'd figure if I can get Brembo's, they're *probably* better quality than the Aimco's. I'm also trying to get a quote for Euro Rotors as well, but I hear they're pricey (but still not what the dealer wants for them).

So now that Brembo is out of the picture (they aren't the right size), I guess I'll ponder whether to get the JC Sports ones, or the Aimco ones and Cryo-Treat them before mounting, unless of course the Euro Rotors comes back with a good price.

I'm a little unsure about slotted rotors though. A few people tell me they chew through the brake pads like there's no tomorrow. Anyone with experience care to share their findings?

VK