Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Starter interrupt relay? please help

Does anyone know what and where this is located on the SVX? It looks like it is a part of the Security System bot if so, where is the security module located on the car. If not, where is the security module located on the car anyway? Doesn't show up on subaruparts.com and the Subaru dealers have no clue if there is a starter interrupt relay.
KWren
Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
I'm not really sure where the starter interrupter relay is, but I believe the security system module is behind the glovebox.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subru92svx
I'm not really sure where the starter interrupter relay is, but I believe the security system module is behind the glovebox.
I will look
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 AM

The security module is behind the glovebox on '92s, but at some point was moved to inside the trunk, beneath the package shelf; I guess whenever they went to a passenger-side airbag. Do a search for more info.

dcb
Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
The security module is behind the glovebox on '92s, but at some point was moved to inside the trunk, beneath the package shelf; I guess whenever they went to a passenger-side airbag. Do a search for more info.

dcb
Haven't had a chance to look yet but will today thanks!
KWren
Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
The "starter interrupt relay" gets a signal from pin 13 on the security system computer.

The interrupt relay is connected to a square, white, 4 conductor plug. According to the FSM it appears to be located under the drivers side of the dash, it appears to be the connector closest to where the wiring harness goes through the firewall. It has 4 wires going to the relay;
Pin 1 - Blue/Red - 12v+ from fuse 23 (inside fuse panel)
Pin 2 - Black/White - Ignition Switch
Pin 3 - Blue/White - pin 13 on Security Module (above glovebox, or under rear deck if car has PS airbag)
Pin 4 - Blue/White - Inhibitor Switch (Switch is along drivers side of transmission, Connector is one of the large connectors that goes to the transmission under the hood, this one has 12 wires)

I'm guessing wire 2 and 4 are going to be thicker than 1 and 3???
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 PM

ty dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
The "starter interrupt relay" gets a signal from pin 13 on the security system computer.

The interrupt relay is connected to a square, white, 4 conductor plug. According to the FSM it appears to be located under the drivers side of the dash, it appears to be the connector closest to where the wiring harness goes through the firewall. It has 4 wires going to the relay;
Pin 1 - Blue/Red - 12v+ from fuse 23 (inside fuse panel)
Pin 2 - Black/White - Ignition Switch
Pin 3 - Blue/White - pin 13 on Security Module (above glovebox, or under rear deck if car has PS airbag)
Pin 4 - Blue/White - Inhibitor Switch (Switch is along drivers side of transmission, Connector is one of the large connectors that goes to the transmission under the hood, this one has 12 wires)

I'm guessing wire 2 and 4 are going to be thicker than 1 and 3???
That is wonderful information!!!!!!!!!!
the pins 2 and 4 complete the path from the ignition sw through the Inhibitor Switch to energize the starter . I expect very little problems occur with the Inhibitor Switch
This is major information for a lot of people on the network that have erratic cranking problems. sometimes it cranks and sometimes it doesn't. When the security system is working correctly it provides a ground for the starter interrupt relay energizer field to close the contacts to complete the start current path. (pins 2 and 4)When this fails to happen, the radiator cooling fans come on???????????? No Idea what that is about. They aren't on before i try to start it but if it just clicks and doesn't crank then the fans come on. Strange. This happens on both of my svx's. I take a lot of short trips around town so I get a chance to start several times a day. Needless to say, I have a plan b to quickly start the thing. A jumper on pin 2 and 4 should eliminate the problem. (naturally they put a blue/white wire on 2 terminals to confuse the issue). lol

Thanks a million for the important information Dave
I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by kwren; 08-31-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
Re: Starter interrupt relay? please help

I have a 94 SVX Lsi.
Can someone please help me locate Starter Interrupt relay? Pics, videos - anything could help. I have searched long and hard underneath the steering column, and can't find it there. I need to bypass it so that my SVX finally starts normal. I have gone through a lot of forums and websites, and where people say it is located and where diagrams show it is located, it is not there.

Thanks in advance.
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 08-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Edit: Quoted the wrong person.

Last edited by S3thW; 08-12-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorush View Post
I have a 94 SVX Lsi.
Can someone please help me locate Starter Interrupt relay? Pics, videos - anything could help. I have searched long and hard underneath the steering column, and can't find it there. I need to bypass it so that my SVX finally starts normal. I have gone through a lot of forums and websites, and where people say it is located and where diagrams show it is located, it is not there.

Thanks in advance.
I'll take a picture and post it when I get a chance later.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorush View Post
I have a 94 SVX Lsi.

Thanks in advance.
this will be a long read but much easier to point you to this then try to reiterate all the information.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Personally the relay at the starter that is mentioned and shown how to do will be one of the best fixes, I think.