Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Jay

Very rough engine from cold

When my car has been sitting in the driveway for maybe a day or so, maybe over the weekend. I start it up to drive after that time period and idle is extremely choppy, the revs are at the normal level but the engine sounds almost like a lawnmower "chuff chuff chuff chuff" I starting driving and the "chuffing" doesn't go away it just gets faster. It has actually made me stall at an intersection at some point. After about 5-10mins of anxious driving it finally returns to normal. It has happened consistently the last 3 start ups. Any ideas?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Re: Very rough engine from cold

Sounds like one or more cylinders aren't firing. That could be caused by a bad coil pack, or a bad injector that is leaking when the engine is shut off, and is fouling the spark plug in that cylinder.

The first thing that I would do is to pull each of the injector connectors off each cylinder to determine which cylinders are causing the problem. Once you have determined that, you may want to pull the spark plug and coil from that cylinder and have a look at them.

The ignition coils used on the SVX coil-on-plug ignition system can and do go bad. Usually, the spark burns through the plastic on the coil, and shorts directly to ground through the cylinder head instead of through the plug.

Alternatively, you may just need to replace your spark plugs.......

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 09-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Jay

Good to know will look into it
Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Panik

Registered SVX

Was this resolved? My dad runs a shop and we did some injectors after unplugging 2 with no effect on the idle however it didn't resolve the issue. He doesnt have time to look at it because he is quite busy but I have all the tools to diagnose. I'm thinking coil packs but I don't see why this would be limited to a cold engine.

Edit: we have checked the spark plugs and they do not appear fouled. Curious as to what I can look for on the coil to verify.

Last edited by dannal1113; 09-29-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Forgo to finish describing.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannal1113 View Post
Was this resolved? My dad runs a shop and we did some injectors after unplugging 2 with no effect on the idle however it didn't resolve the issue. He doesnt have time to look at it because he is quite busy but I have all the tools to diagnose. I'm thinking coil packs but I don't see why this would be limited to a cold engine.

Edit: we have checked the spark plugs and they do not appear fouled. Curious as to what I can look for on the coil to verify.
The coils can fail from the internal contacts corroding or developing cracks from thermal stress. Metal contracts when cold, opening the circuit and killing the coil. As the coil gets hot from the engine block, the metal expands and can restore contact between sides of the fissured connection, making it work again.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Panik

Registered SVX

Makes sense... I had a similar situation with my starter once actually when I think about it. Except it was opposite. Once it had warmed up it could no longer make the connection so you had 1 good start to get where your going then you have to wait a couple hours XD. Anyways I'm gunna pull it in to an open bay tomorrow and pull some coils and check em out.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Panik

Registered SVX

Is there an aftermarket set available at a reasonable price?

Right now the price we get through Worldpac is $99.99 for OEM. We are quite sure that the problem does lie in the coilpacks and we ordered one already but if I can find a higher performance set for a decent price than I'll just have my dad return this one.
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/dannal1113/SVX/

Last edited by dannal1113; 10-02-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
There is no aftermarket. Only OEM coils
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan69 View Post
When my car has been sitting in the driveway for maybe a day or so, maybe over the weekend. I start it up to drive after that time period and idle is extremely choppy, the revs are at the normal level but the engine sounds almost like a lawnmower "chuff chuff chuff chuff" I starting driving and the "chuffing" doesn't go away it just gets faster. It has actually made me stall at an intersection at some point. After about 5-10mins of anxious driving it finally returns to normal. It has happened consistently the last 3 start ups. Any ideas?
Quote:

Right now the price we get through Worldpac is $99.99 for OEM. We are quite sure that the problem does lie in the coilpacks and we ordered one already but if I can find a higher performance set for a decent price than I'll just have my dad return this one.
All right, so if either one of you two want to look through the threads that I've created on the topic, you may. Basically, I had the same problem. Cold starts made for on and off misfire (sometimes constant) and it wouldn't go away until the car was warm.

I replaced two sets of spark plugs, replaced two coil packs @ $80 each (I also examined every other coil for leakage, cracks, etc.), and replaced almost every sensor available. I then, last shot, hoped it wasn't electrical at all. So, I had the air/fuel induction service done at the dealer (basically, they run a potent chemical straight through the fuel rails through the injectors - MOTORVAC is the same idea). Fixed my car right up. Seriously. Not a plug for the dealer, but definitely getting injector service.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Panik

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
All right, so if either one of you two want to look through the threads that I've created on the topic, you may. Basically, I had the same problem. Cold starts made for on and off misfire (sometimes constant) and it wouldn't go away until the car was warm.

I replaced two sets of spark plugs, replaced two coil packs @ $80 each (I also examined every other coil for leakage, cracks, etc.), and replaced almost every sensor available. I then, last shot, hoped it wasn't electrical at all. So, I had the air/fuel induction service done at the dealer (basically, they run a potent chemical straight through the fuel rails through the injectors - MOTORVAC is the same idea). Fixed my car right up. Seriously. Not a plug for the dealer, but definitely getting injector service.
I actually did read your thread and since I've already done a fuel induction service I ruled that out. Not that it was a waste because in a 15 year old car a fuel induction service is in order anyways. I've narrowed it down to which cylinders are misfiring when cold and I've done injectors so it pretty much has to be coilpacks.

I agree with you though... If your car is misfiring and you have yet to have a fuel induction service performed I highly recommend it.
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/dannal1113/SVX/