Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Reckless driving, 84 in a 40..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
THIS is pretty much what I had planned on doing. I've requested a waiver, which will mean I'm admitting guilt but with a reason. When he asks my reason, I have it. If he doesn't believe me, I apologize time after time until he is satisfied that I've learned my lesson. Beg for a lower fine and if at all possible, no points and maybe community service..

I know I was speeding and in my sate of mind at the time, I thought it was a good idea. I didn't call 911 or the local police because I didn't think to. I just thought enough to have my foot get really heavy until the person behind me was gone. Hopefully there isn't ever a next time for this to happen again..

Again, I really appreciate everyones help and honesty in this situation.
Tell the Judge that the Subaru Guru had worked on your car the night before and you didn't KNOW that it was that fast now!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 PM

Registered SVX

That sucks freeman!

They charged you with reckless driving and let you drive off with a ticket?
Around here 20mph over limit is reckless driving, and if they tag you with that they tow your car and you walk home...

Police chief is mad at you and you drag him into court, your going to get ticketed for going 5mph over the speed limit everyday there after..
At least that's how it is around here if you piss off a cop.

Pay up and be happy they didn't take your car and suspend your license.

Next time someone is tailgating you, BRAKE CHECK them (but don't leave skid marks).
The settlement for the neck and back injuries you received will buy you a new car.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
BRAKE CHECK
...regardless of whether it is used tongue in cheek here is retaliatory road rage, and should only be done never.

It can make you injured, it can make you a "mark", and it can make stupid crap like <this> happen.

(CN: Innocent woman, 3rd party to road rage, dies because people are jackasses in their cars.)

Your best bet in any situation where someone's flaking out on the road is to ignore them.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
...regardless of whether it is used tongue in cheek here is retaliatory road rage, and should only be done never.

It can make you injured, it can make you a "mark", and it can make stupid crap like <this> happen.

(CN: Innocent woman, 3rd party to road rage, dies because people are jackasses in their cars.)

Your best bet in any situation where someone's flaking out on the road is to ignore them.
Boy, do I ever agree with this.

This may be the best thing that happened to you when you look back at it years from now. It is painful now and it is causing you much stress. I used to be like you. I used to drive away from maniacs or brake check them. Then I calmed down and just flipped them off or something similar. Then I realized something. I was the problem. The world is what it is. There are people who have issues. They do stupid stuff. They cause accidents. People die sometimes. It could happen to me. None of my actions, when I was younger, would have changed any of that. In fact, it almost always made the situation worse.

Why did I do it? Because my ego needed to feel like it was "right" or "good". When someone did something I thought was wrong, I took it as a personal attack. "Who do you think you are?" is a common thought. So you brake check them or you flip them off or you race them to prove that they aren't somehow better than you. It isn't about who is better or who is right. It isn't about teaching people a lesson or making the world a better place. You need to accept the world for what it is and just live your life in a way that will bring you happiness. Getting into accidents or getting tickets will not make you happy. So let them chase you. Them them ride your a$$. Let them cut you off. Maybe you will be unlucky some day and one of these poor bastards will cause an accident and kill you or someone you love. It sucks but it happens. Plus, we are all going to die...eventually. As soon as you accept that and turn to just trying to live each day to its fullest with no expectations for the future or judgments of the past, the happier you will be. Keep in mind, people that drive like maniacs often do it for a reason. They are searching for their self-worth...for their value as a person...for their identity. I mean, why else would someone drive at an unsafe and illegal speed or cut people off or drive up their a$$ when they aren't in the middle of an emergency but simply driving to or from work, for example? Something is missing in their life and you could, if you choose, pity them.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Something is missing in their life and you could, if you choose, pity them.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to karmaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Boy, do I ever agree with this.

This may be the best thing that happened to you when you look back at it years from now. It is painful now and it is causing you much stress. I used to be like you. I used to drive away from maniacs or brake check them. Then I calmed down and just flipped them off or something similar. Then I realized something. I was the problem. The world is what it is. There are people who have issues. They do stupid stuff. They cause accidents. People die sometimes. It could happen to me. None of my actions, when I was younger, would have changed any of that. In fact, it almost always made the situation worse.

Why did I do it? Because my ego needed to feel like it was "right" or "good". When someone did something I thought was wrong, I took it as a personal attack. "Who do you think you are?" is a common thought. So you brake check them or you flip them off or you race them to prove that they aren't somehow better than you. It isn't about who is better or who is right. It isn't about teaching people a lesson or making the world a better place. You need to accept the world for what it is and just live your life in a way that will bring you happiness. Getting into accidents or getting tickets will not make you happy. So let them chase you. Them them ride your a$$. Let them cut you off. Maybe you will be unlucky some day and one of these poor bastards will cause an accident and kill you or someone you love. It sucks but it happens. Plus, we are all going to die...eventually. As soon as you accept that and turn to just trying to live each day to its fullest with no expectations for the future or judgments of the past, the happier you will be. Keep in mind, people that drive like maniacs often do it for a reason. They are searching for their self-worth...for their value as a person...for their identity. I mean, why else would someone drive at an unsafe and illegal speed or cut people off or drive up their a$$ when they aren't in the middle of an emergency but simply driving to or from work, for example? Something is missing in their life and you could, if you choose, pity them.
This is an excellent point. Well stated yet hard to push the calm button when that butthead is riding your tail or making unsafe lane changes or what ever. The truth is we cannot change someone else's behavior by showing them good. I've done it but I try to take a deep breath now.

I just lost my older and only brother to a distracted driver in late January. That really made me stop and take stock of what I was doing and what could I do better. It might not seem terribly logical but one of my first post brother decisions was to take my kids to Disney World. There was always an excuse, they are too young, they are getting too old, its too expensive. Truth be told we had an amazing time and something that my kids will remember for the rest of their lives.

So when it comes down to it, does it really matter if I make this next light? Will the 1 minute 30 seconds that saved me really make a difference? Just remember, for example, that reaching for that cell phone at 45 mph will put you 300 feet down the road before you look up. In an urban environment, there is so much that can happen in that 300 feet.

I agree that when you take stock in a few years, you may look at this incident as a turning point in your driving style. I still stand by my original advice, get a good lawyer and minimize the damage to your license and standing with the state. 2 grand invested in a good lawyer may save you 5 grand in insurance cost.

We all can stand to slow down just a little bit. I can't tell you how much I miss my brother. All because some lady had to make that next phone call...

regards

ken

Last edited by karmaken; 09-17-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaken View Post
This is an excellent point. Well stated yet hard to push the calm button when that butthead is riding your tail or making unsafe lane changes or what ever. The truth is we cannot change someone else's behavior by showing them good. I've done it but I try to take a deep breath now.
Oh god yes, Ken! Old habits are hard to break. Value systems are deeply programmed into us. My mother was a classic, "Don't take **** from anyone", kind of person. When someone does something to you, you fight back because that is what a tough, strong, person does and only tough, strong, people have any value. So that is why I raced people when I was younger. That is why I cut them off when they cut me off or flipped them off if they rode my a$$. It took me a long time to realize that I was just making the situation worse. Truth is, aggressive acts, no matter how justified, always result in more aggressive acts. Avoid the insanity or, if you can't, respond to it with compassion. Damned hard to do, easy to say. And don't do it because it will demonstrate that you are a "better man". Do it because it benefits you in the long run. Do it because it will make your day and life a better one.

We aren't "winners" when we get to work faster than other people or when we stand up for ourselves by "dishing it back". We are winners when we are happy. I wouldn't be happy defending myself in a court or facing the realization that I just killed someone for no good reason. Life is too short to get caught up in the noise of life. Two important sayings:

"Eat not from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil"

and

"Carpe Diem"

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Times have changed. The penalty for flipping someone off used to be getting flipped off back... Now in flip off the wrong person and frequently get a bullet back.

Huskymaniac actually makes a lot of sense!

I am impressed!

Keith
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Times have changed. The penalty for flipping someone off used to be getting flipped off back... Now in flip off the wrong person and frequently get a bullet back
100% agree!!

I had a guy spit in my face years ago when he blew through an intersection and nearly hit me. I flicked him off after honking my horn at him. He stopped and get out of his vehicle. Chased down my vehicle. I got stuck at a traffic signal about 1500 feet from where it happened. As I was rolling up the windows in my little Suzuki Sidekick, he spit through the bit of opening and into my face. Most nauseating thing that has ever happened to me. (I work in a veterinarians office where you see all sorts of gross stuff) It smelled like partially digested McDonalds.

That is why I do not eat fast food...well one of the reasons..

I was lucky he didn't have a gun. Otherwise I may not be here today. It's amazing how angry people get. Look what happened at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore the other day. A guy shot a doctor because he didn't like how his mothers treatment was going. He then shot himself and his mother.

People are f@$ked up.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to karmaken

Look at what happened at my work a few days ago! Some nut took over our building spouting off about humans are parasites and the Discovery Channel is responsible for the human population growth problem because of Kate + 8.

People are looking for excuses and are able to rationalization the results. Some of the scariest are fundamentalist, doesn't matter fundamentalist of what kind. They are self justified in their ultimate belief that what they believe is the ultimate truth. Therefore if you aren't with us, you are against us. It sickens me to see politicians of any ilk using these same tactics.

Didn't mean to hijack but just sick of whack jobs grabbing the headlines and then ultimately stealing our perceived freedoms from all of us due to the need for security to prevent the .01% of those nuts from possibly going off.

regards

ken
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
Tell the Judge that the Subaru Guru had worked on your car the night before and you didn't KNOW that it was that fast now!
Probably the best defense would be to just claim that it was made by Toyota Toyota does own part of Subaru, and the Toyota is known for uncontrolled acceleration... sort of the same condition Freeman encountered.

Keith
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl View Post

It smelled like partially digested McDonalds.
That is DISGUSTING!
2001 Audi S8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: