Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Spontaneous radiator combustion.

I don't understand what could be hurt by replacing a thermostat and flushing the system....???

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what that's all about. I'm going to try getting the thermostat in myself. But i don't have more than a single jack, and it's just the stock one for tire changes.

Will that give enough *SAFE* clearance to get under this beast for a thermostat swap? It seemed like when I used it for the radiator hose, there was barely enough room even for that just with my arms under there.

If there is something very wrong with the thermostat, will it display those odd steaming without overheating symptoms? Or could it have been really overheating and just not showing on the temp gauge?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:08 PM

And also, it's very likely that there were huge bubbles in the system. I did just a quick fill so it wouldn't melt down on the 3/4 of a mile to the mechanic. There probably was plenty of air in the system.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what that's all about. I'm going to try getting the thermostat in myself. But i don't have more than a single jack, and it's just the stock one for tire changes.

Will that give enough *SAFE* clearance to get under this beast for a thermostat swap? It seemed like when I used it for the radiator hose, there was barely enough room even for that just with my arms under there.

If there is something very wrong with the thermostat, will it display those odd steaming without overheating symptoms? Or could it have been really overheating and just not showing on the temp gauge?
The thermostat is right on bottom, jacking up the front driver wheel will give you ample clearance. You can verify operation of the thermostat by feeling the lower radiator hose and see if it gets hot when your engine does.

A lot of the older temp gauges will develop a magnetic spot on the normal sitting position and not register an overheat. A lot of newer cars peg all the needles upon startup to avoid this problem. Id do the thermostat and see if it helps your problem.... the mechanic was probably talking about using a system flush that eats away deposits and can cause your heater core to leak, since deposits can actually help seal small leaks or seepage. Plain water will be just fine to flush thru the system.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
Do NOT work under a car supported only by the factory tire-changing jack. Use jack stands, blocks and timbers, anything to take most of the load off that thing.

dcb