How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-29-2002, 04:36 AM
ehyde111

Changing transmission filter

I have that add-on external transmission filter on mySVX (the kit from Subaru). How often are you supposed to change this filter?

THanks
Old 08-29-2002, 06:35 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

They (Subaru) will tell you it's good for the life of the tranny. ( until the tranny breaks from a clogged filter) It is pricey by itself $48?. I have a 91 Legacy with the same filter and it has 172k miles. Recently it was acting up and it was from the filter being clogged. The fluid over heated and turned brown and it was shifting from 1st to 3rd and real rough. I caught it in time and changed the fluid and put the SVX filter on it. (The SVX was apart at the time and didn't need the filter right then.)

There are a number of posts on this subject. My current plan is find a similar filter to the subaru one at an auto parts store and replace it every 12,000 miles or so. The perma-cool filter kit is another option. Changing the filter more often is a good idea as is dropping the pan, cleaning the magnet and replacing the suction screen.

The external Subaru filter is a paper element type. I cut the old one from teh Legacy open and it looked pretty bad. The paper was heavily soaked, swelled and the surfaces of the paper were very rough. It was well beyond it's useful life.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:52 PM

svx_commuter

if you find that substitute off the shelf please post it prominently. I've asked on the forum and nobody seemed to know a sub, but I find that really hard to believe. And since B&M and Summit & Perma-cool all seems to think an engine oil filter works for a tranny....

For me, it means my svx is down (or I install some type of a filter bypass) so I can take the filter off for investigation of what fits. I've been hanging out in one parts house lately trying to get comfortable with the guys so they would let me go through all the filters one by one to find a match. Although maybe you have thought this thru better.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:12 AM

Okay, I have not seen this yet but the local "CAR PARTS" 908-782-2301 (Chris) says he found the WIX filter. Part number is 58964 and it sells for around $23. This sounds pretty good to me. I also found the WIX site as follows:
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/

I hope this helps and I will NOT be getting the filter soon because I have to leave a deposit. I am not heading down that way in the next few days.

From what I have been told, the spin-on arrangement would still require a hydraulic oil filter and not an engine oil filter. The hydraulic filters remove down to 8 to 14 microns while the engine oil filters are good to 16 to 24 microns.

This amy be the least cost approach
Old 08-31-2002, 06:56 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
http://www.bulkparts.com/MM007.ASP?pageno=78
Old 08-31-2002, 12:24 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

I bought a whole Subaru filter kit from my friend at the dealer for $7.50. The part # shows up on Subaruparts.com and on 1st subaruparts.com. for around $9.50. Pt#31099AA091

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=...=15&submit.y=8
Old 09-01-2002, 06:55 PM

The kit is cheap but to buy the fliter or the hoses alone is a lot more. I have been trying to get another filter at that price but I have not had any luck. heck I would like to get a few so I could change it every year.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:57 PM

I think the Wix number above is for the screen inside the pan, not the remote filter.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:42 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
The kit is cheap but to buy the fliter or the hoses alone is a lot more. I have been trying to get another filter at that price but I have not had any luck. heck I would like to get a few so I could change it every year.

Just buy the whole kit then .What is the difference? Just use the filter.