Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
Angry a few problems

i guess i'll start off by saying that i am a new member. been keeping an eye on the forum here and there...has been useful information in the threads..and gives me some better ideas about my own car.

so. here's a few things if someone(s) can help(s) me out.

sometimes when i drive and when the car is about to change to third the car seems to "race out" (maybe searching for the third gear or just revs out a little). i either give it more gas which changes the gear or just let go of the gas peddle and then gas it again. does anybody know what this is? or is it signs that the tranny is dying ?

i find that the left side of the car ( driver side) is a little higher than the passenger side. is this the shocks or springs? does anybody know how to determine if springs and shocks are dead..? i use the push test to check...but i think that because of the weight of the car is heavy then maybe this test would not work.

if anybody could help that would be great..i've spent about 6000$ on fixing the car and i know that there is more things to fix on it. i know i bought a fixer but i was hoping that it wasn't that bad. i dont want to spend a sh!t load of money to bring it to mechanics just to tell me what is wrong with it.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:21 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Alrighty first things first....

From the looks of it, it sounds like your transmission might be slipping. How high do the RPM's go when the gear shift from 2-3 is taking place? When did this start happening? Check your transmission fluid dipstick. The fluid should be a pinkish color. If it is brown then it definitley needs to be changed out...not flushed but changed. Simple drain and refill.

About your apparent suspension issues. How is the ride? Is the hard hard or normal to you and has it changed at all since getting the car? Your strut mount could have rusted out. I have heard of a members rear strut mount rusting out and that resulted in one side being higher than the other. To test your struts you can go to your drivers side front to start with....Push down on the hood right above the wheel and see if its stiff or bounces up or down. If it bounces alot then that means you need new struts. If its stiff or a little stiff then you should be ok. It could also be your springs regarding the height difference. Make sure you do this on level ground just to be sure.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Trans flare...try doing a search to get more info
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
the racing out goes out to about i think 4000 rpms. the fluid is good and pink. but i guess it's starting to slip. it seems like it... i dont remember when it started..i haven't owned the car for very long but, i'm not even sure if it was like that when i bought it. i noticed it here and there..but it is getting more frequent.

with the shocks/springs issue..i is stiff..i'm thinking maybe the shocks...i mean the ride is ..bumpy...you feel a lot of bumps...you feel the road......i dont remember how a ride in an SVX is like anymore. the last one didn't last long.38 days.
but i'll look into it. i was hoping that maybe somebody had an idea. thanks all
Old 12-04-2005, 11:19 PM

I dont know what shifts the flare occurs between, but if it is the 2-3 shift, it could just need a brake band adjustment. Do a search on this, an you should find how to adjust it yourself.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I second the checking of the band brake adjustment. Does the 3-4 shift ever act this way? If so the high-clutch in the tranny may be failing and then it's time for a new tranny.