SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Parts Breaker, Tire Waster

Send a message via AIM to hexadec0079
SVX White Smoke

I am looking at buying my first SVX, and have been lurking here for a while. Anyway, the dealer said it was probably the head gasket but I don't believe him. I only happens when you stop the car. It is faint but fairly solid trail of white smoke from the rear of the engine and on the sides right behind the front wheels. It appears that something is falling on the cat and smoking. But he sprayed some brake/parts cleaner and it stopped. So is it a gasket or a fluid line of some sort. Other than that it is a very clean 1992 with a very new tranny. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:28 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If its a head gasket, that's bad. If its a leaky valve cover gasket, that's just a nuisance. Could also be a power steering system leak.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 PM

How difficult would the valve cover gasket repair cost me. It may be a nuisance but its one of those things that is just sooooooooo annoying.

Also, he's asking 3900 after Tax title tags and a repaint of the spoiler and bumbers, I think that is fair. But I have to share the best, or worst car shopping experience (shopping for the above mentioned SVX). It had been sitting for a while and without gas. The manager/owner and his mechanic were trying to start it, they thought it was a starter problem, I thought the injectors were leaky. Turns out it was out of gas. Trying to get it to crank he sprayed some starter fluid into the intake behind the filter and closed the airbox, after a couple cranks the airbox EXPLODED with a fireball and tossed the airbox cover 15 feet and the rest of the mechanics came running. But after putting gas in it, it works great. But weird none the less.....
Old 11-16-2005, 10:51 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
From what I've heard, valve cover gaskets are a PITA to replace. Probably about 2-3 hrs of labor. There are many other potential problems though that can be more than a nuisance. Bad rear wheel bearings, old timing belt, old water pump, leaky front engine seals, body rust. If the car has more than 100K miles, I probably wouldn't pay more than $3500. Just too many serious things that can go wrong that cost lots of money to fix.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
And in some cases you will need to shave the heads...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Was the A/C (or defrost) on at the time? If so it's possible the A/C drain hose is dripping on the passenger side cat creating steam. Does the steam/smoke smell like coolant or just water?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 AM

No, the AC was off, but its smelled a little like coolant and the coolant resevoir was almost empty, so I think its the Valve Cover leaking