Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Formally Capuano

Question Is My Alternator Shot?

Hi all,
I had an unusual thing happen yesterday. When my wife started up my 94 SVX some of the idiot lights didn't go out. These included the Battery, temp, and about three others. This happened a couple times before, but they went out after a minute or so. I had been told by the previous owner that this might happen, and that there was a wire inside the alternator that had a loose connection. He fixed it, but didn't solder it up, so he was concerned that it might return. Only THIS time, the lights stayed on. She drove it for a few miles (less than 50), and when she got home & told me about it I checked and the battery was almost dead. I recharged the battery, and the car started right up, but again, these idiot lights stayed on. I checked the voltage at the alternator and only got 11.60volts output, so I figure it's the alternator. Only thing is, I'm confused that more dash lights stayed on than just the battery light. Is this normal for the SVX? Could it be something more than or otherthan the alternator? Thanks inadvance for any advice.
Mark Capuano

'94 LSi Barcelona Red 158,000 miles
'92 LS-L Dark Teal 47,000 miles
'95 Olds Acheiva 104,000 miles
'85 Audi 4000 135,000 miles
'87 Supra 129,000 miles - 2nd JDM engine
Old 10-11-2004, 01:31 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
From what I've heard the dash goes up like a christmas tree if the alternator is on the way out. That plus your dead battery pretty much adds up to an alternator issue. I believe Beav posted a thread recently on how to fix this problem. Good luck

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 10-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check the connections to the alternator to see if any are loose. I believe "Beav" posted a thread on an inexpensive way to rebuild your alternator. If you do a search it will be easy to find.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Namaah

Today I went to my mechnic to get my ATF changed and a tranny cooler installed. In the mean time I told the mechnic about my electrical problems being 1. random lights coming on in the middle of driving (i.e. ABS, and Airbag) 2. as I was driving I blew my horn and my radio pop'd and the lights flickerd, and 3. Car not starting after any of these things happining. His answer was my "alternator was working up to "par"". Meaning it was holding the load of the car running, but any extra load would cause a power drain (A/C, horn, dome lights). And im gong to need a new alternator soon. Hope that helps some
Old 10-12-2004, 07:32 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The lights coming on (battery, steering, ABS, Brake Warning & brake lamp out) are a result of the way Subaru engineered the alternator warning lamp circuit. When the diodes in the alternator fail the other lights are looking for a ground (so to speak) and find their way through the alternator. You'll need to replace the rectifier and the regulator to correct. The diodes in the rectifier are the culprit and they almost always take out the regulator when they fail. Check out the wiring diagrams if you're interested.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:01 AM
Formally Capuano

Thanks Group,
I've got the parts coming tomorrow (Rectifier, Regulator and both bearings). I work for a bearing manufacturer so I get those free. I'll do the job Friday - hopefully - and let you know how it works out.
Mark

'94 LSi Barcelona Red 158,000 miles
'92 LS-L Dark Teal 47,000 miles
'95 Olds Acheiva 104,000 miles
'85 Audi 4000 135,000 miles
'87 Supra 129,000 miles - 2nd JDM engine