Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
window.. auto DOWN, but not up

Ok... MY car, the window switch clicks when you push it down farther, or up farther, and it automatically goes up and down... however my moms 97, only goes auto down.. it really seams like theres just like a plastic bump stop or something in the way, but i was wondering if anyone has figured out what exactly to remove... i see a little piece that looks like it is in the way, i'm probably going to be taking my switch cluster out tomorrow, and taking some pictures of whats different.. i just don't understand why they would change it significantly,.. seems like it should be something i could cut, or sand off... i dunno, and i thought i'd seen soemthign on here about it.. but i couldn't find it. oh well. any ideas guys???

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Well....

92s and 93s (thanks Pockets) had auto up/down
The auto up feature was removed due to the fact that the window would still automatically go up, even if a limb was in the way (OUCH!)

So...

Your switch cluster has been replaced with the one from the 92 model year. Both parts are still available on subaruparts.com, but you can't modify the auto down only switches to be auto up as well, they're lacking a switch/relay of some sort. Personally I would not remove yours unless something was wrong with it. I currently do not have auto up or down, because part of the switch is broken and I repaired it with a paper clip. At $100 to replace, you probably don't want to mess with it.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 06-29-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
'93s had auto-up. Mine doesn't any more because a dealer got oil all over my door trim and replaced the entire panel with one from a '97.

Car manufacturers removed the auto-up features largely because media groupd were showing video of windows crushing cans and stuff. I've seen the feature return to cars recently (I drove my dad's '04 Altima a lot over the weekend), but I don't know if they've added any safety measures to the controls - like stopping the window if there's measured resistance.

I sure as hell wasn't going to stick my head in to find out.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-29-2004, 11:34 AM
svxstl

FYI, I believe the new G35s have an auto-up that stops if there's something in the way.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I've seen the feature return to cars recently (I drove my dad's '04 Altima a lot over the weekend), but I don't know if they've added any safety measures to the controls - like stopping the window if there's measured resistance.

I sure as hell wasn't going to stick my head in to find out.