How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-25-2003, 06:55 PM
BruceT

Window switches

I had one of the window switches (on the drivers cluster) only open but not close the window. It felt a bit loose, so I pulled it apart and found the contacts on the switch were perfect (they look like they'd last for-ever), but the rocker part of the switch was not locking in to the base of the switch, so when I tried to close the window I was lifting the rocker away from the contacts, instead of closing them. I checked this by pushing the switch down as I tried to close the window, and yes, it worked. The plastic clip part of the base had broken away.

I looked at the cost of the switch, and decided it was worth 10 minutes effort to try and fix it.

The principle is to provide a new pivot for the rocker. I ended up drilling a 1/8" hole through the base and rocker (both sides) at exactly the same point as the pivot point. I used 2 short lengths of steel rod as new pivots, and the switch is now fine.

There was a glitch here for me, as when the base failed in the first place, it left me no plastic to drill the 1/8" hole in on one side of the switch. What I did here was to make the pin longer, and then cut a 1/8" slot in the facia (between the switches) that the whole switch assembly screws up to. This slot worked perfectly as the support for the pin.

I had to take great care to cut this slot in exactly the right place, and cut the depth bit by bit (continuously assembling the switch assembly to get to the point this switch was not twisted and binding). The springs inder the rocker are quite strong, and hold the switch in place just as well as the other switches.

All right, it wasn't 10 minutes in the end, but the satisfaction of fixing it was worth all the time it took.

Having the door lining off also allowed me to lubricate the opening and lock mechanisms - and they needed it!

Bruce
Old 03-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

Nice work, Bruce. My switch(es) act just about like yours, but I've been able to "finesse" the driver's & passenger's side for two years now. I bought a factory new module from one of our members here, & I'll replace the old one when I overcome winter laziness. Nonetheless it's good to know that there's a way to salvage these babies for the day that they're doomed to nonexistance.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.