Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 10:16 AM
scottheaney

Did P/S O-Ring fix - Perfect!

I did the power steering O-ring fix detailed in the 'How-to' this weekend. No more whinny crap. Like driving a new car. Feels so good!

Only thing I would add is the "How to" doesn't list the O-ring size if looking for a non-OEM item. I just took the reservoir apart and physically took into my local parts store to find the right size. O-ring cost 33 cents by the way. Had to catch a ride with my wife while the SVX was down. Other than that basically about a one hour job. I would recommend trying it.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Another air leak gets fixed.

A viton o-ring would not need to be replaced again.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Did P/S O-Ring fix - Perfect!

Quote:
Originally posted by scottheaney
I did the power steering O-ring fix detailed in the 'How-to' this weekend. No more whinny crap. Like driving a new car. Feels so good!

Only thing I would add is the "How to" doesn't list the O-ring size if looking for a non-OEM item. I just took the reservoir apart and physically took into my local parts store to find the right size. O-ring cost 33 cents by the way. Had to catch a ride with my wife while the SVX was down. Other than that basically about a one hour job. I would recommend trying it.
Scott,
Glad the fix worked. When I did the "how-to" I didn't measure the old O-ring. I know that Trevor has listed the size and I need to add it to the text . . . some day.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-07-2003, 10:22 AM
scottheaney

I will check into that for next time. Thanks. I just went with the cheap generic because it was bugging the hell out of me and I wnated to get it done. Actually when I lifted off the reservoir there was no remnants of any O-ring at all! The 33 cent one is better than nothing at all. I was a little shocked, but definitely explained the whine.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:35 AM
$VX

Worked for me too. Also got rid of a supposed 4wd binding problem. I think. >shrug<

- Ca$h
Old 01-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Boone

Here's Trevor's post. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=6144
Old 01-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Thank you very much, Trevor! Now I can fix mine.

I'll go ahead and post the measurements Trevor wrote, so people don't have to look at the other post:

15mm OD, 11mm ID, 2mm thick

The power steering fix is at http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1686.html

BTW, recently when I went to buy an assorted package of O-rings at Pep Boys, the price was over $8 ! So I decided to just buy one O-ring, as soon I could determine the correct size.

Until now I didn't know there was a "How-To" locker! http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To

Somewhere out there (possibly in an individual's locker) I saw a picture of the top of the PS reservoir, showing removing the screen from the filler hole. Does anyone know where that picture is? (I'm hoping to herd all of this information and pictures into one place)