Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM

Rear side marker lights

A few Years ago I picked up a set of USA rear side markers with bulb holders. Here in NZ we only get them as reflectors (no hole for bulb).

In the past few weeks I am seeing moisture build-up inside one of them, has anyone here managed to take one apart to clean or reseal the unit?.

Any photos of one apart, where is the most likely place that the moisture is getting in - note that the rubber seals both around the edges & around the bulb areas are not split.

Any suggestions, can you buy the seal that is around the edges - assuming that I can take the unit apart?.

Thanks in advance

Stephen in Auckland, New Zealand.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX
Re: Rear side marker lights

Steve, Wingers can supply the gaskets.. I got a whole set for my tail lights for about $60. They're a soft spongey material, same as the original ones and I still see the occasional moisture build-up. I'm tempted to use the shape as a template and get some decent rubber ones made.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Re: Rear side marker lights

Ewie, thanks for the info, at this stage I do not think the gaskets are the issue.
There appears to be a vertical crack showing where the light is located, in the USA made version it is made of 2 layers - the vertical crack is in the inner layer, I think it is caused by heat stress cracking from 5W bulb, hence there must be a small gap between them, that is where the moisture droplets occur.

Do not feel like breaking apart the whole assembly at this stage, will wait till someone else has done it (on a damaged unit) - just a thought has anyone fitted different lens/LED to one of these marker units (got photos).

Will try & get a couple of smaller wattage bulbs for the future, at this stage I will try to "bake-out" the moisture & reseal with clear RTV around the edges.

Will check with Winger here in Auckland if the outer rubber seals are available & if so - how to fit them.