SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
SVX design theory

Thanks to Alcyone Lunacy, for posting this pic on WWW.SubaruXT.com

Those sketches prove out a few theories I've had about the SVX extended gestation.

I'm betting those sketches are from around 1987. A funny thing happened in the fall of '87. Ford released the Probe, almost a line for line copy of the SVX plans. At that point the SVX would have been slated for a 1990 release. That explains why there were no '90 XTs.
To delay an introduction 2 yrs for minor design changes is unheard of. Look at the proportions of those sketches, they mirror the early Legacy. We know that the producion SVX is bigger in most dimensions.
My thought/theory is that upon the release of the Probe, Subaru went AWWW CRAP! They decided to take it upmarket. That way they wouldnt compete with a WAY too similar car. They redesigned the chassis, making it bigger. That required a more powerful engine than an EJ22+2 could give in N/A trim. Look in the R&T guide, the preproduction EG33 was in fact an EJ22 with 2cyl added. All these changes added cost and complexity to a car that was supposed to compete at a much lower price. We all know what road that took Subaru down.

Help me confirm, or refute this, I'm open to all opinions
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX design theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
That explains why there were no '90 XTs.
There were 90s XTs. I owned a 1990 XT turbo. Theres also a 1991 that was up for sale here a year ago
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 PM

Some say that the Ford Probe was actually a copy of the Toyota Celica, the T160 fourth generation car.

Flush glass and smoothed aero shapes seem to be the common theme of late 80s design.

I have a feeling that SVX's size, equipment level, and market segment were intentional, not as a reaction to other specific models.

The SVX was too mechanically unique to be a response, and that uniqueness, from engine to chassis, to interior, and exterior, including ItalDesign influence.

it would have been hard to incorporate all of that in a car any less expensive than SVX was at the time.

NOW, however, Subaru could platform-share to create an SVX with shared componentry now. Arguably that could make SVX more affordable. 35K today is much closer to the average car cost than it was in 1992. Inflation adjustment.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 AM

Interesting stuff

I really don't know too much about the Vorex/XT areas.
My take is that the XT was designed in America by Americans for the US market, and like most cars around that time (Subaru's) were underpowered. I remember having a '85 L series Touring Wagon, loaded up and moving to Darwin, with full tank gas, no way to get into 5th, struggled in 4th from memory 86kw on 1.8 lt - sure the XT was lighter but power did not match looks!
XT next gen got 2.7 and ended there - not sure if it was a winner or flop - you guys would know.
I would say that the design pics above were from the America studio - but Subaru Japan had other ideas for something bigger, grander to compete with {Nissan}300 zx & {Mazda} Cosmos - and focused on their design and 6 cyl (EG33)
and possibly designed into this future products - platform share with Amadeus (never eventuated).
Unfortunately the major problem come the '90's was the exchange rate which hurt everybody.
From concept to be delayed is not unusual - I think the transmission was a major hurdle to over come (size, able to take HP etc) - as Nissan also used this tranny in Pathfinder.
Exiga first existed as a prototype 10 yrs ago in 98 IIRC.

B11s prototype was 2003? - can we get that for 2013 please Fuji?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:48 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Subaru, or italdesign were watching Fords Ghia studio. I think most of us have seen the Ghia Vignale Mustang concept from 1983. That vehicle is almost dead center between the Probe, and SVX
. Hopefully someone will post up a pic. I can't from my phone. The Ghia is the precursor to the SVX, right down to the window-in-window.

Around '88 the design for the SVX changed. It went from the Legacy footprint, to a widebody type design. At the time, the design was already solid. Something huge had to motivate FHI to make a 6" change in width
My guess was the debut of the Probe. What else coulda forced FHI into spending that kind of cash?
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Subaru, or italdesign were watching Fords Ghia studio. I think most of us have seen the Ghia Vignale Mustang concept from 1983. That vehicle is almost dead center between the Probe, and SVX
. Hopefully someone will post up a pic. I can't from my phone. The Ghia is the precursor to the SVX, right down to the window-in-window.

Around '88 the design for the SVX changed. It went from the Legacy footprint, to a widebody type design. At the time, the design was already solid. Something huge had to motivate FHI to make a 6" change in width
My guess was the debut of the Probe. What else coulda forced FHI into spending that kind of cash?
i couldnt find a pic of the vignale but found some other interesting/ ford designs lmfao
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/cars.197..._Megastar.html
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/cars.1992_Ford_Focus.html
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/cars.199...a%20Bebop.html
and one with the window in window haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83ghia_ford_trio_1 haha.jpg (20.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 83ghia_ford_trio_2 lol.jpg (20.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 01-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Wasn't there a Lotus or similar make that never went ahead in the mid 80's that also had a close resemblance?