How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-05-2002, 02:05 AM
Kamaleon

Question Cleaning stock rims..

My brother went to wash my svx today and i asked him to pay extra attention when cleaning the rims since they were particularly dirty. Accordign to him they seem to be stained (i could only think its from brake dusk) and he couldn't clean them too well..

Is there way/product that will make them close to new? or that at least remove dark stains from the rims?

(10 days to get reunited with my svx!! ) Im in Texas, she's in georgia, but not for long..
Old 08-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I haven't tried any polish or cleaner on mine but I here a McGuires product works well. ( ask Kelli ) SHISVX
Old 08-07-2002, 07:15 PM

I can't be of direct help, but I tried Meguiars rim cleaner and it didn't work that well on the brake dust stains, so I wouldn't waste your money on that. After taking the car to the dealer for some unrelated reapairs, they cleaned my rims for me. I assume it was a courtesy thing they do if you spend so much money with them. I don't know what they used though. You might want to call around to find out how this is done.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Kamaleon

speakin of which my dealer owes me a free 'detailing' cupon at some affiliate of them..
Old 08-07-2002, 07:57 PM

I have had some success on swheels that have both paint and polished aluminum using Simple Green and a small brush, followed by water rinse. keep in mind SG takes off wax, so watch how you use it.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Kamaleon

as long as it doesnt remove clear cote it should be a good wheel cleaner then.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I haven't tried any polish or cleaner on mine but I here a McGuires product works well. ( ask Kelli ) SHISVX
okay just like John said, Mcguires is the best that i have come across. i just don't let it sit, i scrub the stuff into the wheels. they come out great! give me a few days and check my locker, i will have pics of what they look like after they are clean. any foam clean or spray that you use on your rims, you want to follow up with some good scrubing with a tire scrub. my rims are now a slightly different color, but i think it is just because they are clean..

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Kamaleon

I got some simple green yesterday and will try that first.. if this doesnt work ill try the other product

scrub..scrub...
Old 08-09-2002, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamaleon
I got some simple green yesterday and will try that first.. if this doesnt work ill try the other product

scrub..scrub...
check my locker under mods now
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Kamaleon

WOW!! how much time did you spent scrubbing those wheels? they look new!!
Old 08-09-2002, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamaleon
WOW!! how much time did you spent scrubbing those wheels? they look new!!
sprayed it on, let it sit for a minute, scubbed around the outside, did the nooks and crannys rinsed, took me like 1 minute for each tire. after i cleaned them good the first time, they were really easy to clean evertime after that! i barely have to use pressure and all the dirt and grim come right off.

BTW, i use mcguires products on all parts of my car, they smell good, and nothing has ever gotten my leather better..(haha, that rhymes) the only thing i wouldn't recomend is tire shine unless you are going somewhere special, as soon as you start driving, it gets all over your rims and on your body, easy to clean, but it looks nasty

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 08-09-2002, 12:05 PM
sith

Another tip - once you have your wheels nicely cleaned, wax them. They're painted metal just like the rest of the car, and it really makes them easy to clean - the brake dust virtually leaps off!

(Recommendation came from Griotts Garage... forget the website right now)
Old 08-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by sith
Another tip - once you have your wheels nicely cleaned, wax them. They're painted metal just like the rest of the car, and it really makes them easy to clean - the brake dust virtually leaps off!

(Recommendation came from Griotts Garage... forget the website right now)
I have always waxed my wheels about once every 2 weeks (when I wax the rest of the car) I recently damaged one of my stock wheels, and bought a used one from the local salvage yard. The owner of that wheel had obviously not waxed it, and in comparison mine look MUCH better. A heck of a lot shineyer.

-Mike
Old 08-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Kamaleon

hhee.. cool.. ill do that.. Clean good then wax

Kelli, the very first time u cleaned ur rims, did that took a long time?
Old 08-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Boone

Unfortunately the stock rims that came on my '96 (florida car) don't have any finish, just bare metal. I didn't catch on the first winter I had it and now they're pitted and corroded to h***. I haven't found anything that will clean them.