Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM
The Molinator

Ball Joints .. Easy Replace.. or AdJuSt??

Can the ball joints be swapped without any necessary adjustments? Or when installing a new ball joint part, is it necessary to adjust the top shaft somehow (for alignment) when replacing the part.

I noticed the ball joints were loose when I was replacing front axles (turned out to be not necessary to replace either axle.. . creaking noise persists on acceleration/turning from stop!) trying to solve a weird noise [See Weird Noise thread..(same date)]. I wanna know if just replacing the ball joint parts will be a simple swap.. . or if alignment necessarily comes into the mix (like tie-rod ends or A-Arm bushings)?

Please ADVISE!.. . Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 10-05-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Re: Ball Joints .. Easy Replace.. or AdJuSt??

hi the ball joints on sxv are the easiest of all subarus ,you dont have to realign it if you dont take the strut bolts out ,but if they were loose and you did a alignment it wasnt true ,so you might want to get one any way
charlie
Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
The Molinator

Charlie:

The way the ball joint top shaft is made.. makes me wonder if an adjustment is necessary.. . BUT Thanks for the info!
[When I said it was loose.. I meant that the ball joint itself is wearing out - not that the (top) bolt or (bottom) bolts are loose. Hope I made that clear??].. . THANKS AGAIN!

Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 10-05-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

It's not nice to put something that looks like a link to a picture of a GT4 in your signature

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 AM
The Molinator

Wanna buy?? 28K.. . Was on Ebay.. Craig'slist recently.. Wanna park my SVX in the garage.. Love my GT4, but my SVX is about 150* F when entering.. .
Sorry.. . Jim