SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX
Power Light-Solenoid A

I have posted on this issuse before, but yesterday the problem has become worse. my power light flashes occasionally leading to the SOL A code. my manual button is disconnected so I cannot run the diagnostics anymore. But when my car is cold, usually first thing in the morning it does not take off well. It almost feels as fuel isnt getting to the engine but I know its the tranny. I depress the gas and the car will not move for a second then it will just sputter until the tranny catches. Usually after a block of driving it is fine again. The engine doesent rev out or anything it just doesent want to move. Im not sure if the SOL A is the culprit. It seems to help if I let the car warm up for 10 minutes or so, but even then this sometimes happens, usually not as bad. I was told to check the drop resistor behind the battery, but I dont even know what that looks like, nor do I have or know how to use a voltmeter. Can anyone shed some light on this for me Please. Its a 4.44 tranny ive had for a few months and I just want it to run right
Thanks

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Power Light-Solenoid A

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
I have posted on this issuse before, but yesterday the problem has become worse. my power light flashes occasionally leading to the SOL A code. my manual button is disconnected so I cannot run the diagnostics anymore. But when my car is cold, usually first thing in the morning it does not take off well. It almost feels as fuel isnt getting to the engine but I know its the tranny. I depress the gas and the car will not move for a second then it will just sputter until the tranny catches. Usually after a block of driving it is fine again. The engine doesent rev out or anything it just doesent want to move. Im not sure if the SOL A is the culprit. It seems to help if I let the car warm up for 10 minutes or so, but even then this sometimes happens, usually not as bad. I was told to check the drop resistor behind the battery, but I dont even know what that looks like, nor do I have or know how to use a voltmeter. Can anyone shed some light on this for me Please. Its a 4.44 tranny ive had for a few months and I just want it to run right
Thanks
From what you say, it does not seem to be a transmission problem, seems to be an engine fault. Why do you think the flashing Power light is for Solenoid A, if you can't run the transmission diagnostics.

"I depress the gas and the car will not move for a second then it will just sputter until the tranny catches"

This sounds more like the engine is causing this. The transmission would either rev like it was in N, or it come up to stall at 2500 rpm, then leap away. If the dropping resistor was at fault it would have hard changes.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
M7

Registered SVX

4.44 tranny? A.T. or manual?.. Sol. A is line pressure, how can that be diagnosed without man. switch?...seems like..air cleaner, spark plugs, bad gas,fuel filter would be a cold engine drivability problem.

Last edited by major7venth; 10-01-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: added text.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM

Registered SVX

I ran the diagnostics before i broke my manual button connection. I got the code that showed SOL A. The power light still goes off once every 10th time I start it or so. Its an automatic 4.44. and i know from my explination it sounds like an engine problem. I have changed basically everything, fuel filter plugs, etc. It didnt occur until I had the new tranny installed as well. I will drive it again cold tomorrow and see if I can put a better explination into words as I feel as it is still the tranny acting up. Would line pressure cause symmptoms similar to this or am I way off base?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Registered SVX

Let me clarify from my last post. I back out of my driveway without a problem or a hesitation. Its a fairly long driveway. when Im in the road it moves for a second then kinda stops then sputters and takes off like a jet when it does. Im not sure if my RPM's are at 2500, As i said I will try it again cold tomorrow morning. I just dont understand why in reverse I do not have any problems? Does anyone have a pic of the drop resistor? and how do I test it. I mean car running or off in park or dirve, Im pretty bad with diagnostics of a vechile. Thanks for the input tho I really appreciate it

Old 10-02-2009, 06:39 PM

hi there are some test on the resistor it should have 9 to 15 ohms of resistance ,you dont say what year trans in in your car ,some of the problems with the early 4eats were oil sarvation to planetary gears ,the reason for the added filter ,but the paper gasket between the oil pump and trans case would break causing oil pressure in forward gears to be low till rpms could over come this with the change of oil presure ,it also overheated the high clutch ,any way you all ready know where the resistor is measure it ,if you need one let me know ,mines a 5spd so its in a box ill send it to you
Old 10-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Registered SVX

the tranny I got is a 4.44 tranny from I believe a 99 outback. I had all the filters changed and switched all fluids to synthetic. My original tranny took a dump and Ive had this for a few months. I tried looking for the resistor once, but I honestly dont have a clue what it looks like Also I dont know how to use a voltmeter From what Ive read on the SOL A it appears that the resistor is usually the cause, and thats what im hoping. Do you have a pic of what im looking for? in relation to the battery

Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

The resistor is between the RH fender and the battery. It is mounted to the inner RH fender. two wire connection, really it is the only thing there

Tom
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Registered SVX

If its the silver metal box with a connector then I found it. Now what is the procedure for testing this thing. I mean is the car supposed to be running, and if i can get ahold of a voltmeter, is it pretty simple. Papa didnt raise me with mechanical skill

Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 AM

Registered SVX

Just an update on this situation. I recently unplugged the resistor and have driven around with it unplugged. Ive gone two mornings right from cold without any of the past problems. I didnt have a chance to get a voltmeter on it but does this seem to point to my resistor being bad? Could I just leave it unplugged?