SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Re: I am getting SS headers made!

The SS Stebro system will last several times LONGER than most of the systems made on here. I took a dual system off of one of my cars that had not been on there more than a couple years. The mufflers had already rusted out. The Stebro system are more than just pretty. They last much longer and do make for freer breathing. I can't prove it by dino, but I am sure there is a slight power gain. I just said that the price for the Stebro muffler on Ebay now is way over priced. I would gladly pay my $1500 for another one if I had another good car to put it on.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM

I wasn't offended just figured I should clarify about my screenname since it seemed to be used in that way.

I see what you are saying but you made me laugh at the end when you suggested a nice audio set up would be better. Because obviously a nice audio set up would give me
1- Power gains
2- Everyone will see it, because it would be so apparent
3- not a waste of $750!
4- Everyone will follow in my steps.
haha...
Equal length headers would be a benefit but not what my goal was. I was just excited at the time of the posting that something I want to do was getting closer to being a reality. So it may not be for everyone, in my mind it is like painting the car upgrading the suspension and then keeping the stock wheels (not really my taste). To each their own but I didn't quite expect what my initial impression was upon getting back to this thread. I personally would love to have (and plan to have) a full SS tig welded exhaust that flows, sounds, looks, and lasts great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Look, sorry if you got offended by the way I used your Nickname, well... no one knew it symbolises your initials.

Concerning the headers here is a summary:
Negatives:
1- No power gains
2- No one will see, not apparent
3- $750 wasted!
4- No one will follow your steps. If you want to make something that everybody can use, aim towards long equal length headers (check OT's locker)

Positives:
1- Something no one has done before.

I say spending that much money over something which has too many negatives is a waste. With $750 I would invest in a nice Audio setup... Just my 0.2QR (local currency )

Anyways, it is your money...
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
The SS Stebro system will last several times LONGER than most of the systems made on here. I took a dual system off of one of my cars that had not been on there more than a couple years. The mufflers had already rusted out.
The factory exhaust is still under my 1975 Gremlin, it certainly isn't anything fancy, it might not have even been aluminuized steel, just raw steel.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I do not understand at all why you would pay 1500 dollars for exhaust. You can get the best muffler money can buy for like 150 bucks, take it to your local exhaust shop and they can do your whole thing custom made for a fourth of that price, can they not?
This would be the same people that buy an Alcyone hood emblem for $105 and then have to wait untill their next paycheck to put gas in the tank.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
This would be the same people that buy an Alcyone hood emblem for $105 and then have to wait untill their next paycheck to put gas in the tank.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
The factory exhaust is still under my 1975 Gremlin, it certainly isn't anything fancy, it might not have even been aluminuized steel, just raw steel.
But you don't live in snow country. Check out how fast they rust out from salted roads.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
LOL--you forget who originally bought these cars NEW. You are only referring to the influx of young buyers now that the price of the car has dropped drastically. The ones that will spend two to three times as much for a stereo system or wheels than the car is worth.

And I don't mean to insult people. Many have bought them lately because they really love the looks of the car while others buy them expecting to prepare them for light to light performance---which ain't never going to happen realistically.

Its a classy touring car--nothing more or less.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
I wasn't offended just figured I should clarify about my screenname since it seemed to be used in that way.

I see what you are saying but you made me laugh at the end when you suggested a nice audio set up would be better. Because obviously a nice audio set up would give me
1- Power gains
2- Everyone will see it, because it would be so apparent
3- not a waste of $750!
4- Everyone will follow in my steps.
haha...
Equal length headers would be a benefit but not what my goal was. I was just excited at the time of the posting that something I want to do was getting closer to being a reality. So it may not be for everyone, in my mind it is like painting the car upgrading the suspension and then keeping the stock wheels (not really my taste). To each their own but I didn't quite expect what my initial impression was upon getting back to this thread. I personally would love to have (and plan to have) a full SS tig welded exhaust that flows, sounds, looks, and lasts great!
I just gave an example of the stereo system since I have a Bose in my Z and I love it (putting aside the ever failing Bose amps) the sound quality is amazing and I would love to duplicate it in the SVX.

It can be anything that you want, anything can be better than what you are doing. Again it is your money, spend it in whatever you like.

And to SteeL25T, I would prefer to pay $1500 and gain something from it (at least its sound if not performance which I doubt) than spend $750 and gain ABSOLUTELY nothing. But I agree that a cheaper $150 megan racing exhaust (as I did) would do the trick... but in life there are two kinds of people, who like effectiveness and disregard brands, and those who want both.

You can drive a 600hp tuned Mustang for $40k or you can drive a 600hp Ferrari for $300k...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Seems like a waste for something that is rarely seen.
Some of us are more concerned with function than appearance.

Tom
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Some of us are more concerned with function than appearance.

Tom
If you spend $3000 on an exhaust and I spend $300, is there going to be that big of a difference in performance? Enough to warrant $2700?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Depends on whether you are simply looking to get by or maybe god forbid some SVX owners may want to do it the right way

Tom
Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Depends on whether you are simply looking to get by or maybe god forbid some SVX owners may want to do it the right way

Tom
I don't get what makes the sensible way the wrong way. Just seems silly to spend all of that money on expensive exhaust does the same job and is probably within 3 horsepower of a cheap system.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
I don't get what makes the sensible way the wrong way. Just seems silly to spend all of that money on expensive exhaust does the same job and is probably within 3 horsepower of a cheap system.
I am not telling you or anyone to spend $3k on an exhaust for horsepower. I am saying if you are going to replace the exhaust for performance gains, do it right or don't do it at all. Exhaust systems rely on proper flow, restrictive bends in the system induce unwanted turbulence which inhibits the flow of the system. Poor welds will crack apart in no time requiring repairs constantly. **** components will break apart and/or rot out in no time. You will get what you pay for. Thats not to say I have not seen very bad exhausts that were expensive, just the majority of the time this is the case

Tom
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 PM

The muffler shop I go to does great work for a reasonable price, sure it is just mig welded aluminized steel pipe that is bent with a normal exhaust bender, but it works just fine for anything but a race car. Air quality has more of an effect on performance than an exhaust in most cases, unless the exhaust is just really, really, really bad. Most people do exhaust for the sound, whether or not they like to admit it. The reason I will be doing mine is because some dufus cut it all off before I got the car.

The last full exhaust I had done cost me $180 from the headers back on my 1966 Mustang, looked as good as new when I sold it 3 years later. I had two turbo style mufflers on it that flowed more than enough for that 289 V8 and had a killer rumble. Never had a problem with a weld cracking and there wasn't any rust on anything but a light surface rust on the welds.

Maybe the muffler shops in your area are just hacks, I know there are a few in this area to avoid.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
The muffler shop I go to does great work for a reasonable price, sure it is just mig welded aluminized steel pipe that is bent with a normal exhaust bender, but it works just fine for anything but a race car. Air quality has more of an effect on performance than an exhaust in most cases, unless the exhaust is just really, really, really bad. Most people do exhaust for the sound, whether or not they like to admit it. The reason I will be doing mine is because some dufus cut it all off before I got the car.

The last full exhaust I had done cost me $180 from the headers back on my 1966 Mustang, looked as good as new when I sold it 3 years later. I had two turbo style mufflers on it that flowed more than enough for that 289 V8 and had a killer rumble. Never had a problem with a weld cracking and there wasn't any rust on anything but a light surface rust on the welds.

Maybe the muffler shops in your area are just hacks, I know there are a few in this area to avoid.
I mig aluminized for most systems as well, this is getting really off topic at this point though. My point is, you don't have to use mandrel bends or stainless but if you really want a good exhaust you will be using these. If you just want your exhaust replaced... then you wouldn't be talking about it in a thread about headers.

Tom