Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 AM

ABS hydraulic Unit?

I'm getting an ABS code 2 (Broken or shorted solenoid valve circuit(s) in hydraulic unit - Right Front).
I was getting this code and a hot brake smell every day until I replaced my front calipers. That was over a month ago and now it's back along with a pull to the right under normal driving and braking.

Do I have to replace the entire hydraulic unit or is there some fix for this issue? Would a line flush help any?

I'd like to get it fixed asap but don't want to buy something if there's a cheaper solution (I've already spent far too much on this car).
Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: ABS hydraulic Unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
I'm getting an ABS code 2 (Broken or shorted solenoid valve circuit(s) in hydraulic unit - Right Front).
I was getting this code and a hot brake smell every day until I replaced my front calipers. That was over a month ago and now it's back along with a pull to the right under normal driving and braking.

Do I have to replace the entire hydraulic unit or is there some fix for this issue? Would a line flush help any?

I'd like to get it fixed asap but don't want to buy something if there's a cheaper solution (I've already spent far too much on this car).
It most likely is shot, but you can try a brake flush anyways, if anything just for the fact that replacing and removing all the air out of the ABS unit is a royal PITA.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM

there are two bleeder valves on top of abs unit, what else would you have to bleed, why is it pita???? ( i need to do this haven't yet)
Old 08-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StelthSvx View Post
there are two bleeder valves on top of abs unit, what else would you have to bleed, why is it pita???? ( i need to do this haven't yet)
I have done a few.... any time you work on anything besides the calipers/wheel cylinders, such as an ABS unit or a master cylinder, you have to bleed EVERYTHING, since you have introduced air into the entire system. The air has to be bled from the replaced part, and every point downstream of the repair. The tinyest bit of air bubbles inside an ABS unit will cause a complete clusterbleep of brake troubles.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.