How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2002, 08:57 PM

Unhappy Weird WEIRD sound

Ok... About five people have commented on this to me by now.. so I am thinking it CANNOT be good. When I am driving, basically at any speed above... well 10, there is a big whirring noise coming from the back.. I've talked to a couple, and they all seem to think it's the rear differential fluid and how there's "none of it".. I am thinking this is pretty serious, and I want to get this fixed asap, or before my intake and exhaust come in.

So I'm wondering; Is adding rear diff. fluid as easy as buy it and replace it? And just to make sure, is this thread of any importance to me?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...?threadid=4915

I'm worried. I don't want to spend more than $6000 on a repair job when I can just get a new one for that price...

-scooch
Old 07-17-2002, 09:25 PM

Bearing?

Could be just a wheel bearing. Hard to tell without hearing it. Also make sure that it is not a brake noise (brakes dragging) by depressing the brake pedal while you are still on the gas (at low speed) if the noise goes away, it is probably brakes. This happened on my car because she sat for two years and the rear rotors where a little rusty.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:54 PM

unfortunately, i'm almost certain (although they COULD use a little work) it's not my brakes.. it happens whenever i drive the car, it dies down while i brake.

best way i can describe it.. err, my brother said, "is that sound supposed to be there?? the one that sounds like an orbit or something?!"

i am now just reading the wheel bearing problems on www.subarusvx.com.. i really think that's what is wrong. !@

At first when I read that, I thought they had described the sound as different, so I dismissed the idea that it would be the problem.. Now that I read it over again, I think I may have the symptoms..

This is not good

-scooch
Old 07-19-2002, 06:55 PM
gcookaustin

I doubt that your diff fluid is gone, but it wouldn't hurt to see. Just buy a quart of GL-5 fluid at auto parts store, open up top plug first, then open up bottom plug (allowing fluid to drain, if any), wipe off magnet on bottom plug, and then close bottom plug, fill with diff fluid until it can't take anymore, and close top plug. How long has this whirring noise been going on?
Old 07-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Fold down the rear seat and stick your head in the trunk while someone else drives. If it's a wheel bearing you will be able to tell which one.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:16 AM

gcookaustin: the sound has been low for a while (about a month), but it's only really been noticeable these past two weeks, esp after my dad drove it to work =\ i test drive it after he tells me something is wrong and i hear this LOUD LOUD roar above 30-40 or so... that pretty much topped it off, unfortunately.

svx_commuter: yeah, i talked to one of my other techies and he tested a couple things. he concluded that it was the right rear one..

no more 90-deg turns at over 30 for me!

-scooch
Old 07-20-2002, 08:47 PM

ok! got it fixed.. thanks for the help. if I wasn't aware that it was a wheel bearing, he wouldn't have known what it was! ^_^

-scooch
Old 07-21-2002, 11:41 AM
SVXCAPE

how much did it cost to replace???