Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Trans. shift.

OK,slowing down to come to a stop...The trans feels like it`s trying/is shifting up down real fast while slowing down...In drive...In 3rd gear no problems just in drive auto shift....92 SVX with 4x4 trans swap....Thats it, no other mods...Trans shop just replaced all seals in trans. $759.00 worth of work....Just got the car, no nothing about them at all, 47 year old self taught mech...
Rear end is making a weird noise when turning into a driveway right hand turn....
anything that you can think off to tell a trans shop or that I can take care of,
Thanyou,
Paul....
I just checked for codes #13 code.......Also it shifts fine in MANUAL mode...But in DRIVE it`s erratic as hell...
Cheched ECU codes and got a #34 code, EGR problem....

Last edited by stuartracing; 01-18-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Re: Trans. shift.

Ok, and have you checked what code 13 means?
It means the #3 solenoid in the transmission has a fault, or the wiring going to it does.
From the manual...
Shift Solenoid #3
Shift solenoid #3 is located on the upper valve body. It is used to control downshifts.
It quickly releases the 3-Release pressure during low speed heavy load
situations in order to provide smooth 3-2 downshifts. It operates the overrunning
clutch in order to provide engine braking during deceleration. It is also used to
cancel the overrunning clutch momentarily during light throttle 3-2 downshifts,
or closed throttle 2-1 downshifts. This reduces the shift shock

Your other reading, the EGR, that will be a seperate issue I think. Ftx that next.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log1call View Post
Ok, and have you checked what code 13 means?
It means the #3 solenoid in the transmission has a fault, or the wiring going to it does.
From the manual...
Shift Solenoid #3
Shift solenoid #3 is located on the upper valve body. It is used to control downshifts.
It quickly releases the 3-Release pressure during low speed heavy load
situations in order to provide smooth 3-2 downshifts. It operates the overrunning
clutch in order to provide engine braking during deceleration. It is also used to
cancel the overrunning clutch momentarily during light throttle 3-2 downshifts,
or closed throttle 2-1 downshifts. This reduces the shift shock

Your other reading, the EGR, that will be a seperate issue I think. Ftx that
next.
Yes I checked the maual, thats how I got that code and that explains the problems with the shifting of the trans. , now that you explained it to me....Manual didn`t explain.....But that explains whats going on with the trans...How hard is the fix???Trans. shop???Any ideas on the money part of it...
Thankyou,
Paul...
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM

If you can check the signal is getting to the transmissions wiring it would be a good start. It could be a wiring plug not connecting properly after the work was done.

Check the big connector plugs on top of the front of the trans. Get a wiring diagram and if the plugs seemt to be tight and have all pins straight, clean etc then check that there is a voltage getting to the wire which goes to solenoid #3; that information should be in the wiring diagram.

If there is power getting in to the trans on #3's wire AND continuity, as measured with an ohms gauge, through solenoid#3, then the solenoid has a mechanical fauly... like a blockage.

If there is power to the plug but no continuity through #3, then #3 solenoid has a broken wire in it.

If there is no power getting to the wiring plug, then there is a fault with the car's wiring or the computer system has a fault.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
If you can check the signal is getting to the transmissions wiring it would be a good start. It could be a wiring plug not connecting properly after the work was done.

Check the big connector plugs on top of the front of the trans. Get a wiring diagram and if the plugs seemt to be tight and have all pins straight, clean etc then check that there is a voltage getting to the wire which goes to solenoid #3; that information should be in the wiring diagram.

If there is power getting in to the trans on #3's wire AND continuity, as measured with an ohms gauge, through solenoid#3, then the solenoid has a mechanical fauly... like a blockage.

If there is power to the plug but no continuity through #3, then #3 solenoid has a broken wire in it.

If there is no power getting to the wiring plug, then there is a fault with the car's wiring or the computer system has a fault.
Thankyou for that info...That`ll help out alot to properly trouble shoot this...
Much appreciated....
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Well this car is starting to straighten out....I did find that one of the trans. pin connector on top wasn`t connected right....It just came apart as soon as I touched it....Just dangling there.....Shifting a lot smoother and isn`t neutralizing like it was.....I guess these trans. (97 Legasy) don`t shift real tight...They kinda glide into gear...I hate to let it shift by itself, feels like it`s gonna burn up clutch`s cuz it takes some time to go into the next gear.....It`s normal????I let off the gas pedal and let it get past the glide before I get back into it...I`m not trying to race it at all....
How important is it to change/clean the EGR valve....Should I change it soon or do I have a few weeks....$120.00 for the valve....Hose`s are all connected...That`s the last check engine code/light I have left....ABS is on, left rear speed sensor...
Thanks,
P...
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It is the TCU in the Svx that makes the transmission shift like that.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 AM

If you let your foot off the throttle to make it change gears then it will be slow and soft changing. The hydraulic pressures are increased when you have your foot down a bit harder and then the shifts should be crisper. If it seems to have a lag between gears WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR FOOT DOWN, then it is a bad sign.

The egr is probably not really too bad for the motor... for a while anyway.
I would need to know what motor you have to be sure. I'm in New Zealand and our cars are different to yours.

The Abs could be as simple as a lot of dust on the axle's pulser. To set a code it only needs to get a bad signal, it doesn't necessarily mean that the sensor is broken.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
If you let your foot off the throttle to make it change gears then it will be slow and soft changing. The hydraulic pressures are increased when you have your foot down a bit harder and then the shifts should be crisper. If it seems to have a lag between gears WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR FOOT DOWN, then it is a bad sign.

The egr is probably not really too bad for the motor... for a while anyway.
I would need to know what motor you have to be sure. I'm in New Zealand and our cars are different to yours.

The Abs could be as simple as a lot of dust on the axle's pulser. To set a code it only needs to get a bad signal, it doesn't necessarily mean that the sensor is broken.
Thanks for the answers/suggestions...I have a 3.3 with a 97 Legasy trans.
The cost for the EGR is like $125.00 and buried under a bunch of stuff...
On the shifting , the manual says something about tightening the bands to bring them back into spec...Can that be done to see if it helps....
Paul....
Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Hi,
if you look here... http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.skydrive...e.aspx/.Public there is a file called transbrakebandadj have a look at that and see if it sounds like any of your symptoms. There are also some trans manuals there. The adjustment itself is a bit of a mission, you are meant to take the gearbox mounts and exhaust off and drop the trans down a little, then reach up on top and adjust the band with special tools and an inch/pound torque wrench.

The egr... is that the solenoid that you are thinking of replacing or the actual valve that lets the exhaust gas through? I have never replaced or even needed to diagnose one of those so I am just guessing here but... most trouble codes can be set by the result they are meant to produce not being achieved. They don't necessarily have to be defective. So for instance, the O2 senspr will post a code if the air cleaner is blocked or an injector is defective, it does not mean the O2 sensor is crook, just that the feed-back it is producing is not having the desired effect. It is probably like that for the egr solenoid too. If you want to be sure you are replacing the right part you need to check the solenoid electricaly... ohms, power supply, earth. Then you want to check it is allowing air through, they often have a filter on them that can clog up with dust. If the solenoid is working then you should check the small hoses going from it to the egr valve are all on and in good condition. If all that is in order then I would pull the egr valve off and check whether it can be cleaned or not. They get carboned up and often just need a scrape out in their ports.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Oooh I get ya.... #34 code EGR solin. or circuit....I will re-check to make sure...
And I will check that site out too...
Thanks LOG.
P....

I just checked it and it IS doing what it says it would do if bands are out of adj.
Don`t know why the guy didn`t check adj. be for he put this trans. in..(97 Legasy trans.)...
Looks like a pain to get to...
It`s just recently had complete service(all new seals,fluid,filter)....

Last edited by stuartracing; 01-22-2009 at 01:42 PM.