How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2002, 12:55 PM

A Very Strange Noise

In warm to hot weather, after driving for a while and I park my car, I'll hear a whinning noise comming from the rear. Kind of like a large bee ar fly buzzing around. Even when the engine is turned off. It slowly begins to fade away within a period of about 2 minutes. Seems like it's comming from the driver's side rear wheel. I've had this problem for a long time, but not durring winter. Any ideas as to what it my be would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
Old 04-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is it possible it's the power antenna?
Old 04-28-2002, 04:26 PM

It's definately not the antenna. It lasts for a couple of minutes. I've actually gotton out of the car, while the antenna was down, and heard it. Unless the antenna motor is still running when it's down. If this is the case, which I don't think it is, I can't think as to why it would only do it in hot weather.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 04-28-2002 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:22 PM

Uh oh. I heard that same noise today, but I did think it was just a bee. I will look into it.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:25 PM
Green1995SVX

Lots of times, my antenna acts weird in cold weather... Wont go all the way up or down... Motor makes funny noises.

-Mike
Old 04-28-2002, 08:09 PM
Hater

my antenna was acting goofy when i first got the car. it continued to run and chatter after going down or up. i cleaned all the gunk off of it and used some kind of lubricant on it - graphite lube or Syl-Glide, i forget. i exercised it up and down manually, and now it works like a charm.
Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: A Very Strange Noise

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
In warm to hot weather, after driving for a while and I park my car, I'll hear a whinning noise comming from the rear. Kind of like a large bee ar fly buzzing around. Even when the engine is turned off. It slowly begins to fade away within a period of about 2 minutes. Seems like it's comming from the driver's side rear wheel. I've had this problem for a long time, but not durring winter. Any ideas as to what it my be would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
Gid'ay Dave, could be the tank slowly venting. Try taking the cap off, when it is making the noise, see if it stops it.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:04 PM
L8AGN

Recently heard that same noise - lasted for a few minutes and then petered out slowly.

I've also had the rather unpleasant 'missing' while under idle and low idle primarily - can also note it 'missing' while under regular cruising speed but not as noticeable. The tach jumps up and down slightly.

I've read other posts about this - very strange to be happening amongst several other owners - hopefully its the gas. But I'm on my 2nd tankful and the chugga chugga at low speed is getting annoying.

When I stand on it - it moves out with abandon, like normal.

Lived in California past 3 years and never had these occurences - pretty stable temperatures but here in KY going thru the season cycles - interested to know what comes of these nuances.

Hope its the gas - will try another brand next tank.

'92 LS-L 80k
Old 04-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
L8AGN - By any chance did you run across a green SVX a month or two ago on Hurstbourne near Westport? If so that was me heading to the bank and lunch.

It's funny (peculiar) that years ago gasahol (basically the same as the 'oxygenated' fuels) was so much cheaper than full-tilt, straight-up gasoline. Now that so many local governments have made its usage required during the winter months the pricing is higher than the real stuff. Go figure... Can you say 'payola'? Sure you can, I knew you could.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:52 PM
L8AGN

BEAV

You are correct - read your earlier post on the recent strange hesistations - interested to know your take - if you been able to resolve your own issue.

1st tank noticed it was on BP Oil. Went to Thortons last tank (MPG has been surprisingly slightly better on Thortons Gas) but the chugga chugga continues.

Which Subaru dealer or specialty shop do you go to? I bought the car in Michigan - had a great dealer in Ferndale (outside of Detroit) - Suby Only. Then in Northern CA, I drove 35 - 40 miles to Santa Cruz dealer - Suby Only again (those in the SF area - quality and customer service were poor at best).

Got the warped rotors - need to take care of soon - had the car in for basic service at Neil Huffman on Dixie - asked them to check over brakes too - said the brakes were fine - plenty of pad left. Guess they never took it for a road test.......so I got a little shuddering with my chugga chugga

Not the smoothest ride right now
Old 04-29-2002, 10:06 PM

Harvey, could be the gas. I'll try taking the cap off. Do you know where and what it vents out of?
L8AGN, I've heard that the coil packs warp and cause misfires. You might want to check that out.
Dave.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:43 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by L8AGN
BEAV

You are correct - read your earlier post on the recent strange hesistations - interested to know your take - if you been able to resolve your own issue.

The weather has pretty much taken care of my problems. Hopefully the winter gas will be gone before the 80's come back.

Which Subaru dealer or specialty shop do you go to?
Got the warped rotors - need to take care of soon - had the car in for basic service at Neil Huffman on Dixie - asked them to check over brakes too - said the brakes were fine - plenty of pad left. Guess they never took it for a road test.......so I got a little shuddering with my chugga chugga

Uh, I've been a pro mechanic for almost 32 years now, I usually take my car to me. I work at the Goodyear on Goose Creek at Westport (near Hurstbourne and Westport.) If you'd like to bring your car in call 426-5020 and set an appointment to drop it off - just be sure to tell them you want me to work on the car. If you'd like a reference I suppose Aredubjay will give you one. If you make an appt. please make it for after next Wednesday (5/8), between the Derby and my workload I'll be busier than normal until then.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Tank venting.

Quote:
Harvey, could be the gas. I'll try taking the cap off. Do you know where and what it vents out of?
L8AGN, .
Dave.
Dave, it should vent through the carbon canister under the hood.

If you can hear it down the back, it may have a split in the hose back there.
Harvey.

Old 04-30-2002, 11:24 PM

Re: Tank venting.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Dave, it should vent through the carbon canister under the hood.

If you can hear it down the back, it may have a split in the hose back there.
Harvey.
Harvey, your right. I heard it today and took the gas cap off. After releasing the pressure inside, the noise went away! Would venting through the canister actually make the noise or would you say there's probably a hose leak? If there's a leak, do you think it would be a problem to leave it alone?
Thanks,
Dave.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Re: Tank venting.

Quote:

Harvey, your right. I heard it today and took the gas cap off. After releasing the pressure inside, the noise went away! Would venting through the canister actually make the noise or would you say there's probably a hose leak? If there's a leak, do you think it would be a problem to leave it alone?
Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave, The vent for the carbon canister runs from the bottom of the canister along the chassis rail, through a rubber plug near the middle spark plug, to vent inside the chassis rail.
Yes mate I would fix it. Put it up on a hoist check around the tank for the split hose. Won't cost much for the piece of hose.
All the best
Harvey.