Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Cool Suspension Geometry...???

I'm a new member to this forum as I finally am nearing two spots in the garage for each of my non-running svx's to become one very good, running, shifting, and turning svx.
My question concerns the suspension, which I think is the only thing (after the tranny swap and waking up the motor) that the svx is going to need, especially since I live on top of a mountain where roads do not go straight. In reading it seems that many of you experienced posters have springs, swaybars, and shock inserts, but nothing has been done to allow for lowering an inch or two while retaining travel an geometry. Is this just too much to undertake for something that isn't your primary concern? Or too much to undertake period?

I've noticed that for my other car, a 99 camaro v8, tubular control arms and relocation brackets, trailing links, etc., lighter & stiffer with rod ends , as well as the K-member. Mostly Unsprung weight. These parts are unavailable for the svx because of lack of market, obviously, but for the camaro the suspension tab isn't unreasonable. The parts themselves, on the svx and camaro, stock, are not too different (they're both made of medal, right?) from looking under the car the front looks like a hell of an undertaking because the lower A-arm's connect to the cross-member running under the motor (I am not a mechanical engineer but the son of one, so terms are logical not correct). The lower a-arm could connect to a different location on this crossmember, but that relocation would be very...involved.

The rear looks far simpler, and I believe the relocation is possible as well as maybe some tubular, rod end type pieces to compliment those sway bars and poly bushings.

If any of you are still with me, I would love to know your opinions of these pieces and why I should stop thinking about this and accept that it already has a good center of gravity and geometry. I realize that the suspension is possibly track-worthy with your modifications, as I have reviewed the forums for the last 18 hours with a break for the overtime game in chicago, but lowering the center of gravity and fixing the geometry to allow for travel and the use of rugged adjustable suspension could make not just a track-worthy, but an incomparable car in the twisty's.