Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion....

And in that spirit, I must present my opinion that a wing like that looks like it belongs on a Honda Civic with dragon decals and a loud muffler. Either there or in the trash
Old 11-11-2006, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

There is one thing though that really pointed out a huge difference between me an sr240sx and maybe one other person. Its the "rice" comments. The reason why is that I see the SVX as an Itailian car built in Japan. I see Italian lines and design throughout.

You cannot "rice out" an Italian car.

Also, large wings are an American design in my opion since the first large one is the one I saw on the Dodge Charger in the 70's.

The next one was on the F40.

Also keep in mind that I started this thread to get someone to join in with me on design and development to cut cost. I was never asking, "guys should I do this", or " guys will you still like me if I get this".
Old 11-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan

you are well on your way

Tom
Old 11-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Oooouuuuch.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:38 AM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
"Also keep in mind that I started this thread to get someone to join in with me on design and development to cut cost. I was never asking, "guys should I do this", or " guys will you still like me if I get this".

Thats pretty funny!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 PM
My kitten can woop your kitten

Send a message via AIM to Dengue Send a message via Yahoo to Dengue
I find it amazing that people can be so insulting and walk away feeling as though they are in the right.

I would say that I am not a fan of the supra wing, however, as I understand it you have no intention of putting a "supra" wing on your car, I agree that the wing on the f40 looked sharp, and I seem to recall the racing version of the SVX in one of the Gran Turismo games had a mighty spoiler on it... maybe someone can supply a screen cap of it, I kinda liked it.

get that spoiler done, now you have to just to spite the ones who hate it.

and you certainly don't have to worry about people hating you because you put a wing on your car, I mean, they still talk to silverspear.

Skip

Last edited by Dengue; 11-11-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:36 PM

If only the guy with the Supra wing could know the controversy centered around his wing.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:14 PM

hehe, actually, myetball had one on his svx when he bought it, I believe he said something like it made his car look like a shopping cart.

Skip
Old 11-11-2006, 01:25 PM

Oh my god. It does look like a shopping cart.

Lets keep the "shopping cart" comment on the downlow since I will do this wing however I don't want people saying when they see me, "hi shopping cart".

Lets not let that leave this forum okay.

Don't mention it again.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I bet if your wing were only about 4 inches higher than stock it would look fine. That one you pictured has to be like 9 or 10 inches higher.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan
Thanks for the comments guys.

There is one thing though that really pointed out a huge difference between me an sr240sx and maybe one other person. Its the "rice" comments. The reason why is that I see the SVX as an Itailian car built in Japan. I see Italian lines and design throughout.

Also, large wings are an American design in my opion since the first large one is the one I saw on the Dodge Charger in the 70's.

The next one was on the F40.

Also keep in mind that I started this thread to get someone to join in with me on design and development to cut cost. I was never asking, "guys should I do this", or " guys will you still like me if I get this".

Sorry, buddy, but you have no idea about what people can do to a car. You can certainly rice it out. "Rice" Connotes unnecessary, flambouyant, attention ***** modifications that do not look like they belong on the vehicle. An F40 has that wing because it needs it. the bugatti veyron needs it. the svx is an amazingly slippery vehicle, but you do not want to screw up the aerodynamics of a vehicle designed to be sleek. Want to know what extra downforce on the rear of a car without any on the front causes? lift. You will notice the steering going numb and light at a buck twenty plus, gain NOTHING in terms of perfrmance from anything under ninety, most people will look at you like you are a git with no understanding of tasteful modification. I've seen a riced out mercedes SLK55 AMG. Rice connotes bad taste.

The super bird needed that wing. Keep in mind it was the first car in NASCAR history to top two hundred miles an hour. It was a race winner, too. The super bird also had that wing as it's "character" people saw that wing and thought "That car means serious business" it did, with that huge hemi. You have a 3.3 flat six and a wing that wasn't even part of the car to begin with. You will NEVER touch that character.

You aren't driving an "italian" car. If it was italian, all the electronics would have failed by now. You are driving a car designed by an italian STYLING company. Pinan farina designed the bodies for french, british, american, even a korean car. That does NOT make the car italian. You are driving a cool japanese sports coupe. If I designed the exterior of the SVX, it wouldn't be an american car. It'd still be japanese. What you are driving is a concept car put into production. There are examples of that all over. Americans can make concept cars look as cool as the svx, but many never get produced.

Also, remember that Alfa romeo is italian, and they are NOT good cars. mad and pretty, but not good. the svx IS a good car, from a good maker, and looks thoroughly subaru, because if you look at all their cars that followed it, the lines were thoroughly similar. it was a production concept, and concept cars are to show the world "were we're going" and subaru did that. So what you're driving is a pretty subaru. NOT an italian car. it was not designed in italy. it was styled there. An italian haircut dosen't make me italian.

Enjoy your shopping cart. All I will say is that park bench of a wing deserves to be at the bottom of a lake. Doing it simply because others aren't isn't always a reason to. You must also do it in the name of style. I can say lime green paint without a black top (with a black two tone top it might be kind of cool) on an SVX is different, but there's also a REASON why nobody's done it. It dosen't look good or fitting. Ricers go "out of the norm" to get attention, not with regards to taste and style.

Welcome to the ranks of these people. included is a riced italian car

Last edited by Sr240sx; 11-11-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I think I've pointed this out before but the guy that owns that vette lives here in Anchorage.

It's totally bling.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I think I've pointed this out before but the guy that owns that vette lives here in Anchorage.

It's totally bling.
Holy crap, I didn't notice that IS anchorage scenery.

Why are us alaskans wierd?!

Maybe we should put the OP in touch with that guy. He could have some valuable tips for ricing the unriceable.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr240sx
Sorry, buddy, but you have no idea about what people can do to a car. You can certainly rice it out.
blah blah blah

wow!

That was the most incredible example of condescending, arrogant crap I've ever heard... I'm really impressed that you have established firmly in your mind what you find to be aesthetically pleasing. I have found that in our pursuit of individuality we have established the ability to find things attractive that other people do not, as an example, I personally am not attracted to obese tranny prostitutes, but, I would never tell you that you are wrong for it, only that I don't care for them. I really think that you have made your point now, and that there is little doubt amongst the SVX community as to how you feel about exterior modifications. Perhaps now you could give some advice as to where to get some good fiberglass work done. Or, maybe you could offer up some other bit of "helpful" advice, as that is why this forum was made.

Skip
Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 AM

I hate to go racial sr240sx but you are well aware that "rice" refered to asian kids modding their Japanese cars in manner that was not what "american guy" liked. It is a derogatory and racial term. American cars have been modded for decades however "rice" is a new 10 year old term.