Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 10:01 PM

I've tried a variety of products myself and they havn't worked. And a body shop will probably charge an optimistic minimum of $100 for the job, assuming they'd even be able to do it. I'd rather spend an extra 200 for a new paint job. I just don't see what they'd be able to do. I might buy a buffer gun and see what I can do with it myself. Other than that I think I'm SOL.
Dave

Last edited by DavieGravy; 06-18-2002 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I wouldn't count on much of a paint job for $300 - you'd be lucky if they'd wash the car first.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:08 PM

I understand. I'll look into the body shops first before going down that route. But since the cars been sitting in the sun all day, and the fact that it's black, I think I'm SOL.
Dave.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Any paint job under $2000 is going to fail within a year or two. Those sprinkler deposits will come off, I've had them too.

Get some White scotch pads from a paint store. I can't remember the grit but luckily they are color coded. Use that to apply a good paint cleaner, scrubbing it to remove the mineral deposits. When finished, wax the car and you won't see them.

Be very cautious with getting a car painted. Lots of people will claim they got a great deal, but talk to them again four years later when it won't hold a shine or starts flaking off around windows, door handles, etc.

Materials close to OEM quality (which isn't great, by the way) will run a minimum of $800, and good quality materials (epoxy sealer, base coat and clear coat) will cost well over $1000. It takes about 40 hours to properly prep a car and another 10 hours to paint it if the painter is experienced. If not another 5 hours to wet sand the clear coat and buff out his orange peel or runs.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-19-2002, 08:49 AM
red95svx

Rain X

I loved the Rain X that you added to your washer fluid......every time you washed the windshield another coat of Rain X was applied. You could do this even if it was already raining. The stuff worked great but I can't find it any more

David

p.s I've seen the "wiper wings" that add downforce when driving at high speeds. The local parts shops sell them pretty cheap.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: Rain X

Perhaps the spring at the base of the wiper arm is just weakened from old age?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
p.s I've seen the "wiper wings" that add downforce when driving at high speeds. The local parts shops sell them pretty cheap.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:12 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Rain X

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
Perhaps the spring at the base of the wiper arm is just weakened from old age?

KuoH

I had the trouble with the wiper lifting off the windshield at speeds over 50 MPH until I replaced the blades with OE blades and refills. Problem solved. I don't understand WHY it's solved, but, it is.

I'd very much like to have the "Aerowipers" such as those developed for the Caprice/Impala Police Cruisers, but in its more refined form which is now found integrated into the entire arm on late model Camaros.

http://www.b-body.net/Technical/Exte...eroWipers.html
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-19-2002, 11:27 AM
EverclearAtMSU

how about a single wiper blade conversion, but done tastefully like on the upper class benzs
Old 06-19-2002, 11:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Tastefully? Like the ricer tail lights in the new Lexus?

KuoH
Old 06-19-2002, 04:33 PM

Beav,

I remember those wiper blade scales (ours were from Anco in those bright yellow cabinets). No telling how many blades it sold. What were some of the other scams? Seems like there was a trick to putting old and new ATF on a kleenex and watching how quickly it spread or something like that. I don't think I can remember the shop ever just tightening a belt - they always needed to be replaced if they had stretched "that much". I quit when they worked their way up to putting a can of brake fluid into a Ford auto trans and claiming they had replaced all the seals - although it did fix the symptom of lag to engage after a cold start.

As to cleaning windshields.

A local auto glass guy told me he uses bon-ami cleanser to clean up windshields. Or he said to use a bottle of the stuff used to clean ceramic stove tops if I had that. It doesn't scratch, but one caveat, it is polishing, so too many repeated applications may not be a great idea.

BTW, it makes the rain-x application better and less prone to streaks - maybe since the glass has a smoother starting base - have to think about it sometime when my brain cells are in a more cooperative mode.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yeah, go to a GM parts counter and tell them you want the windshield polish stuff. They'll hand you a Delco box with a plastic bag of Bom-Ami inside. Personally I like CLR on the windshield. It removes grime and sun-baked waterspots from the glass. A heckuva lot less work and no chance of damage as long as you don't spill it on the paint.

The Ford tranny seals got hard with age and heat. A lot of internal pressure bypassed until the fluid warmed up enough to soften the seals. More than a handful of them popped wide open from people getting po'd first thing in the morning and gunning the engine in gear before the seals were warmed up. Instant hole through side of tranny...

I've been fortunate enough to have never worked for a schlock outfit, but I've worked with some shady individuals that I wouldn't put that stuff past.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
Any paint job under $2000 is going to fail within a year or two. Those sprinkler deposits will come off, I've had them too.

Get some White scotch pads from a paint store. I can't remember the grit but luckily they are color coded. Use that to apply a good paint cleaner, scrubbing it to remove the mineral deposits. When finished, wax the car and you won't see them.

Be very cautious with getting a car painted. Lots of people will claim they got a great deal, but talk to them again four years later when it won't hold a shine or starts flaking off around windows, door handles, etc.

Materials close to OEM quality (which isn't great, by the way) will run a minimum of $800, and good quality materials (epoxy sealer, base coat and clear coat) will cost well over $1000. It takes about 40 hours to properly prep a car and another 10 hours to paint it if the painter is experienced. If not another 5 hours to wet sand the clear coat and buff out his orange peel or runs.

Doug
OK, you've talked me out of the paint job. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it. I also got a Black & Decker buffer machine on ebay for $7.00 I'll see how that works.

Dave.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Boone

D.
Only use an "orbital buffer" and carefully at that. Have you tried a little basic chemistry? White vinegar (dilute acetic acid) from the grocery store will dissolve any mineral deposits and not harm the paint.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:13 PM
Boone

Re: Rain X

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
I loved the Rain X that you added to your washer fluid.....
The pink washer fluid they sell at the Mobil stations has Rain X in it. I've been using it for years...
Old 06-28-2002, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
D.
Only use an "orbital buffer" and carefully at that. Have you tried a little basic chemistry? White vinegar (dilute acetic acid) from the grocery store will dissolve any mineral deposits and not harm the paint.
The vinegar worked VERY well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou very much.