Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-20-2005, 05:45 PM

Won't start??? Securtiy?Relay?Ignition Switch?

Hello list. I know this has been addressed before, so my appologies. Before I start tearing into the SVX from all angles, I thought maybe one of the Guru's could help me narrow the problem down.

Drove the car extensively, last night...parked it.

Went into the trunk this morning with the key to get some items.

Went to start the car, and - just clicks. Non starting.

Put a battery charger on...battery was almost fully charged.
Tried numerous times to start the car...fiddled with the shifter, fiddled with the key (ignition lock)...tried jumping the relay on the starter...nothing. At one point, the entire electrical system seemed to just blink out. The Check-Engine light flashes quickly while "attempting" to crank the engine. Starter will NOT engage. I have power to all accessories, lights, horn, etc...no start. All I'm getting are a series of quick electrical clicks (relays engaging somewhere I guess in the securtiy or starting system), then the dash and all idiot lights go dead. Turn the key again...same thing over and over.

Now, after all this fiddling, the key will not turn back to the "OFF" position and is stuck in ACCESSORY position. So...my key is now stuck in the ignition switch. Non-existant crime area...no real concern there.

Help. What do the Guru's think is bad? Relay, starter, ignition switch, security system??? Any advise on what to tackle first would be GREATLY appreciated. Oh, any advise and WHO has some spare parts that I will need to FIX this little glitch. I'm betting new ignition switch/key...starter relay...etc.

Frank Germano
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 AM

Update

Okay...NOW I'm really baffled. Went out to the (non-starting) SVX this morning...got the key unstuck from the ignition. Pulled off the battery cables and put it on the charger for about 15 minutes (was down mysteriously to 90% from a full charge last night?). Anyway, turned the key - and it started!
What the heck do I look for now in regard to WHAT originally caused it to not start in the first place? I sure don't want that to happen somewher else, or ever again, if I can help it. Thanks again for any replies as to what might be the culprit.

Frank
Old 08-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
No start.

Did you check the battery terminals. Dirty terminals act like that. Don't know about the alarm, or the key sticking.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:54 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Send a message via AIM to SvXSubaru92
My car was acting the same way today, when I was trying to start it. Key got stuck, all the light's dissapeared. It would'nt turn over sometimes, but sometimes it did. Maybe today is not a "svx" day. Maybe one died?, lol.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:48 AM

Boy...this is REALLY strange. Same thing again last night. Turn the key - nothing except for clicking. Turn the key this morning...started right up. What the heck could be this intermittent to cause something like this??? I seriously have NOT touched anything. Why work one time and then not another? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - and I guess - by two people with this odd problem, now!

Frank
Old 08-22-2005, 11:31 AM

Sounds like the ignition switch (not the lock cylinder).
The symptoms you list are similar to those experienced by many and SVX owner. When the contacts in the ignition switch (don't confuse this with the lock cylinder - the switch attaches to the back of the cylinder) get old, the resistance across the contacts increases with a corresponding drop in voltage. The reduced voltage is insufficient to trigger the solenoid, hence the click noise. Many have opted to install a 12V relay, essentially using the 12V from the switch as a relay input and supplying the solenoid a clean 12V source from the battery. See the following thread for more detail: Ignition relay mod link
The correct fix is to replace the switch. It's still available new from Subaru. I paid $50 for mine. While you're in the steering column, check the tightness of the security bolts that hold the ignition cylinder/switch assembly in place. If these are loose, the switch could have a bad ground, leading to the same random starting issues.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tony117s Send a message via MSN to Tony117s
Clean your battery terminals, and make sure they are tight.
'00 Green Forester S 78k
Old 08-22-2005, 11:38 AM

Great thread from KUOH

Here's a great thread from Kuoh showing the switch with pics and a good description of the task.Switch replacement link