How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-01-2005, 08:26 PM
overdalimit

Climate Control Problem

I've got a 95 SVX and well I've had an A/C problem for quite awhile. I performed the diagnostics and got a code 13 (Sunload sensor). Here's the problem.

Once I start the car and turn the A/C on AUTO mode sometimes the blower won't come on for quite a while. You can here the blower motor barely spinning and then it will gradually go from low to high as it should. Sometimes it comes on immediately after starting the car, which it should.

Now, After the damn thing has started blowing and the compressor decides to kick it its ok. then all of a sudden the blowers running full blast but the compressor decided to turn off. A few seconds or minutes later the compressor decides to kick in again. Now, this is not due to a low charge but it's something electronic.

What it all equates to is a A/C that works for a little while and then stop working. It's not low in refrigerant at all.

Sometimes I hit the AUTO button and nothing happens...then all of the sudden the blower goes to high and the compressor will kick in...it'll cool for a few minutes then the compressor turns off and the blower is still going full blast like a stupid sensor or something is telling the system that the desired temperature has been reached and it can turn the compressor off.

Look...I need help with the thing..HAS anyone experienced this?

Like I said, The only code that the Self Diagnostics indicates is the Sunload sensor.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 AM
red95svx

You already know what to do. You know that the climate system has a problem (sunload sensor). You know that the problem is electronic, and not due to low R134. So replace the sensor!

Dave
Old 08-02-2005, 09:10 AM
overdalimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
You already know what to do. You know that the climate system has a problem (sunload sensor). You know that the problem is electronic, and not due to low R134. So replace the sensor!

Dave

Hold on There chief! I detect a little attitude..... The purpose of the post was to first put the problem that I'm having out in the open to see if someone else has had this particular problem before I buy the sensor. Sometimes one sensor will malfunction because of something else wrong. To be honest that was a wasted reply from you! I asked for help not a smart A#$ answer! Basically, as you know, alot of SVX owners have problems that others have also had. Calm it down! Hell, the sensor is only $52.00! Please....from now on when I ask a question......Only reply if you have some GOOD advise or the ANSWER! Have a Good Day.....
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM
red95svx

Wow...touchy, huh? Relax. It wasn't a smartass answer.

Dave
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 PM

I'm having the exact same problem, and its no fun in the texas heat !!!

I also performed the diagnostics and it first returned the same code (sun load sensor). The reason was the car was in the shade. I performed the diagnostics again with sunlight hitting the sensor and this time i think it came back without any codes ie: system is normal.

But i know its not normal when i'm sweating it out in the dang heat and the system is blowing nice moist air onto my face. I'm yet to find the source of the problem. I checked the silver cylinder thingi next to the radiator/air filter and see bubbles in the refrigerant. From what i remember reading that is normal.

For me some days seem normal ie: AC works all the way from home to work or vice versa, no issues, other days it has a mind of its own.

I also tried resetting the system a few times, but that didn't help either.

RB
Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 PM

My $0.02.

Fix electronics first - Sun Sensor: the test is run in the sun, or a 100Watt bulb is held over the sensor while running diagnostics

No codes, then the only good next step is to employ a set of gauges and watch pressures on both low & high sides in a variety of settings - for example: the SVX trinary switch will kick off the A/C for too low or too high of pressures.

Cheaper than buying an adwuate set of gauges is to go to an independent shop and get them to run pressure tests - locally it's like $20
Old 08-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalach
I checked the silver cylinder thing next to the radiator/air filter and see bubbles in the refrigerant. From what i remember reading that is normal.
I always thought that the sight glass should run clear; and bubbles were a sign of air in the system

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-03-2005, 04:36 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
I always thought that the sight glass should run clear; and bubbles were a sign of air in the system
But what happens if the system is very low or empty?

No liquid=no bubbles.

Sometimes a properly filled system can show bubbles for other reasons, such as inoperative condenser fans or plugged condenser cooling fins. Remove the radiator brackets and tip the radiator back, look between the radiator and condenser and see how much crap accumulates between them.

The compressor pressurizes a low pressure gas into a high pressure gas which the condenser condenses into a high pressure liquid. If the condenser is unable to perform properly the gas may not be completely converted into a liquid and show bubbles. This is one of the reasons it is an extremely stupid idea for the uninformed to be allowed to purchase freon kits, especially without gauges. Just keep adding freon until the whole thing blows up in their face...

Also, for those with R-134 systems, the amount of 134 in the system is crucial to how it performs. There is no way to know how much is in the system without recovery followed by weighing the precise amount placed back into the system. A few ounces off, light or heavy, can cost you ten degrees or more when it's really hot outside.

Last edited by Beav; 08-03-2005 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
If the sun sensor is faulty, will he system revert to running correctly at night?

Ron (putting it where the sun don't shine).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 PM
overdalimit

Well, It seems as though nothing was wrong with the Sunload sensor. I was parked under a tree when I did the first diagnostic test. Now, It's showing that the Refrigerant Temp sensor is bad. The problem is that I've tryed to look up the part on www.subaru-parts.com and not been able to identify it by part name. Any takes on this new found information?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdalimit
Well, It seems as though nothing was wrong with the Sunload sensor. I was parked under a tree when I did the first diagnostic test. Now, It's showing that the Refrigerant Temp sensor is bad. The problem is that I've tryed to look up the part on www.subaru-parts.com and not been able to identify it by part name. Any takes on this new found information?
Here are all the sensors that I found on 95 SVX in heating and cooling system section-

Here is the part # for outside temperature sensor -
Part # 73730A - $52.95
Diagram

Again there are 2 intake sensors for cooling unit both having same part #
Part #-73730C $47.90 Sensor-intake - zxl/582621 -5800
$135.10 Sensor-intake - zxl/582621 -8900
Diagram
I am not sure about the difference b/n the above two same part# sensors, hope someone will help you on tht soon if you are not able to figure it out.

Here the sensor details for heater control (I think u dont need this, but incase)
Part #-72342A $42.37 Sensor-heater unit - zxl/582621 -1700
Diagram

Hope you will figure out the correct one soon...

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 08-04-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:45 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdalimit
I'm having the exact same problem, and it's no fun in the St. Louis heat !!!

My SVX is a '92 and I had the R-12 to R-134 conversion done several months ago. I was also getting the Sunload Sensor failure, even with a 100 watt light shining on it in the garage. When I took it outside that failure code went away and now I get the Refrigerant Temp Sensor failure code. Mine also has the same symptoms with the slow startup of the fan, then in a minute or so it runs great. It continues running fine for the first 15 minutes or so. Then I get the warm moist air followed by nice cold air that seems to imply that the compressor is cycling on and off.

I sure hope someone finds out what's the problem. I also hope it doesn't involve climbing under the dash and getting into that bag of worms under there.

- Jim

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles

Last edited by JIMSVX; 08-04-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:33 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
If the sun sensor is faulty, will he system revert to running correctly at night?

Ron (putting it where the sun don't shine).
For the heck of it I covered the sun sensor to day. It made no difference, didn't think it would.
Back at square one.
- Jim

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles
Old 08-09-2005, 05:05 AM

Poll time?

I have the exact same cooling issues as well! My only saving grace is that the AC runs more consistently the hotter it gets outside. In the spring when the temp was in the upper 70's, my issues were the cycling of the compressor. Now that it's in the 90's (in TN), the AC seems to run fine. I'm betting that I have issues in the fall.

This appears to be a common problem. I wonder what result we'd have if we did a poll? There are probably more SVXers with this problem that haven't replied to this post. I'm prepared to offer a reward to the person that correctly diagnoses this problem. It's probably a sensor (or two). The question is - which one?

Has antone out there solved this?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 PM
overdalimit

Well, I'm going to, most likely, purchase those sensors, or should I say become a parts changer. You know the real reason I posted this problem with my AC was in hopes that someone else had the problem and fixed it already. I am just sooooooooo disgusted with this AC problem that it's not even funny. It's not good to get into a car in the Louisiana heat and hit the AC button and it decides to work intermittenly like it does. It's very frustrating. You know sometimes all that Digital Push Button crap ain't worth it. I promise to devote my time in the next couple of weeks to finding the problem and then I will post it here so that those of you that are facing this can END IT! I PROMISE!