Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 11:34 AM
The Molinator

3 problems at once!

Now my SVX is accelerating horribly ..and noisely..Don't know what it could be..but weird I'm getting other problems AT THE SAME TIME! NOW.. engine is overheating...AND air conditioner goes off frequently (maybe high pressure switch)..... just starts getting HOT...then comes back on later..?

DO ANY OF THESE THREE PROBLEMS SEEM RELATED? Could the timing belt jump a tooth or two? Could the THERMOSTAT cause either the engine to run rough and poorly when accelerating..or the AC to shut down?

PLEASE HELP with any ideas! THANKS!

P.S. Could the water PUMP be working sporadically? (I guess NOT!) ....or at least involved? The engine is gutless and noisey (pinging) when accelerating?? What could that be....SUDDENLY!? HELP!?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 08-01-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:41 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
First, stop driving the car. You are going to do permanenant damage to the motor.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Yikes. Overheating, running roughly and noisily... I agree that you'd better better take it out of service, park it in front of a reputable mechanic, and hope it's not ruined.

dcb
Old 08-01-2005, 12:09 PM
red95svx

Could be headgaskets. As your car burns coolant the engine will run rough (1st problem), run hot (2nd problem), and cause your AC to turn off (3rd problem). The AC turns off because it's programmed to do so if the engine temp gets too high. It reduces the load on the engine. As the temp lowers, the AC kicks back on.

How is your coolant level??

Dave
Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
The Molinator

Yikes...give Me A Break!

I DON'T LIKE YOUR COMMENTS!.....but y'all may be right!

The coolant can't be read now cuz the car's jacked up in front....the reservoir is all but empty..but the radiator is full!

Unfortunately, your scenario makes too much sense! If that's it...what will it cost, approximately? I had to take today off work to get SOMEWHERE with this! As you know, we usually don't see two or three problems popping up at once!

Do you think it's worth draining the coolant...then replacing the THERMOSTAT? To see if that helps any of the overheating? That's what I was in the middle of....when I got your response!

I MAY NEED COUNSELING...I'M NOT READY FOR THIS!

P.S. I GUESS I'LL JUST BUY THE $9000 ENGINE FROM SubaruParts.com

P.P.S. Don't hesitate..ANY OF YOU.. to respond yourselves....AND TELL ME IT'S SOMETHING SIMPLE AND CHEAP.. . . . . HA!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 08-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott
P.S. I GUESS I'LL JUST BUY THE $9000 ENGINE FROM SubaruParts.com

Relative to that, paying somebody to replace the head gaskets would be simple and cheap.

dcb
Old 08-01-2005, 01:48 PM

My suggestion would be to change the thermostat reason being the SVX engine has the water pump on the engine side of the thermostat and pumps the water through the block back through the heat unit & throthal body and back to the water pump. If the thermostat is stuck the water pump won't help it open. While your car has low K it has high age I would never go that many years before changing the thermostat. The engine will take a lot of punishment before doing a head gasket. My money is on the thermostat.
Tony
Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i had a bad miss that fried my plugs and car ran crap and more loud. i would pull one plug and check.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Are both electric radiator fans working?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
The Molinator

Yes

YES....Both fans R working!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:30 AM
The Molinator

Failed!

My SVX just failed the block test @ Pep Boys.....meaning that combustion gases are getting into the coolant! So....if I understand this right, at the least I have a head gasket problem...[if not a cracked head..or block!]

I will take it to the dealer (or a Porsche mechanic I've used before on my Ferrari)..So I will do head gasket (hope that's all it needs there), install timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gaskets while I'm (they're) at it!

BOTTOM LINE IS.....I can't afford a new car!

THANKS!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:01 AM
red95svx

Well, at least you know what you're up against now. The gaskets can be purchased online for a decent price. Just make sure you get everything you need up front, including new valve cover bolt grommets, spark plug tube gaskets, and intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. That way your tech isn't slowed down waiting for parts to arrive after he's already started the job.

Dave
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Bipa

Don't suppose we could get a volume discount, eh?

Too bad we're on different continents... (sorry, couldn't resist a comment)
Old 08-02-2005, 05:07 PM
The Molinator

Parts!

HEH Red 95svx:

Please tell me all parts needed...so I don't miss something that would hold up the repair! Is that it...the parts you mentioned + the head gaskets .... Is that ALL the parts needed?

I already have and would want installed at this time:

Water Pump
Valve Cover Gaskets (incl bolts and washers)
Spark Plugs
Timing Belt (to purchase)
Knock Sensors

THANKS for your help!
Old 08-02-2005, 06:30 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott
HEH Red 95svx:

Please tell me all parts needed...so I don't miss something that would hold up the repair! Is that it...the parts you mentioned + the head gaskets .... Is that ALL the parts needed?

I already have and would want installed at this time:

Water Pump
Valve Cover Gaskets (incl bolts and washers)
Spark Plugs
Timing Belt (to purchase)
Knock Sensors

THANKS for your help!

-Headgaskets
-valve cover gaskets (including bolt grommets and spark plug tube gaskets)
-intake manifold gaskets
-exhaust manifold gaskets
-rear exhaust donut (this depends on where your tech disconnects the exhuast)

That should take care of the headgasket job. You won't need new valve cover bolts, just the bolt grommets...the little rubber/metal things the bolts sit in. If you are doing a water pump you might as well do the thermostat also since the thermostat sits in the pump. Make sure you get both the waterpump gasket and the thermostat gasket as well. You could also do the crank and cam seals while you're in there.

Dave