Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Alarm Transmitter

Just a simple question to make sure.

The car alarm transmitter... It's the same for all years, right? I mean, no one has had to specify the year before buying one, have they?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-02-2005, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
I believe that there are two different transmitters that were used with the svx. One remote has two buttons and a more common single button transmitter. I am not sure which years came with which ones. But my '96 came with the single button transmitter. Also i am fairly certain that either transmitter would work with your car as long as you programmed it in.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
There are two types, but the all work the same on all years of the SVX.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys. I was just wondering cause I don't have much range. Sometimes, I'm standing right next to the car and have to keep pressing forever before it triggers. And this is with a brand new battery. (I have the battery update, instead of the 8 buttons)

I'm going to design and build an updated version. From what you guys say, the encoder IC is the same for all years. That means they never updated the decoder in the car throughout the SVX's life cycle. I checked earlier and the encoder IC's are still available.

With the exception of the encoder IC, the entire transmitter is discrete components! That is just soooooo 1990. Eats batteries faster than Elvis can down a doughnut and has the range of a burp.

And another thing! The encoder is set up as 8bit trinary (high, low, and float open). That means we should have 3^8 , or 19,683 available codes. But noooooo... All they did on mine, is send one of the pins to ground, and the rest are floating open. I would assume they were just as lazy with the rest. I bet I could go to a meet, and if there are at least 12 SVX's there, I would be able to open one of them. That is, if I stood next to them and pressed the button a zillion times like I have to do with mine.

That's probably why it's so easy to program a new one. The decoder only has to look for 1 lousy transition in the entire 8bit series.

I think I'll make it a standard 3 button and use one of those buttons for the trunk. Set up a solenoid back there with it's own decoder IC, and relay set up. That will keep the wiring stock. I wonder if there are any 12V supplies back there besides the tail lamps? Wonder which manual "that" is in?

How is everybody else's range? Is it just me?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:28 AM

phil, if you do decide to go for the trunk opener, you should definitely take pictures and document the process... that would be a cool upgrade.

jj
Old 03-03-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by intellibomb
phil, if you do decide to go for the trunk opener, you should definitely take pictures and document the process... that would be a cool upgrade.

jj
I will most definitely do that. It's obvious though that it won't work with the original SVX transmitter. The receiver would have to match the transmitter, and building a programmable receiver will price it out of reason for just a trunk switch. At that point, it would become an aftermarket alarm. Besides, everytime you opened the trunk, you would lock/unlock the doors. My mindset is to keep the original alarm and wiring and have the trunk switch a separate entity that's controlled with the same transmitter/separate keypress. I'll have to put up schematics and PCB layouts of the transmitter along with it once I have a good simulation in pSpice. Bring back the days of the old Heathkits.

Hey! That's an idea! Run an order of 100 PCB's once it's designed and then sell kits. The first 2 prototype PCB's are the ones that cost a fortune anyway, after that they are cheap! Finding blank keyfobs is what's bugging me right now, and will probably be the most expensive part of the transmitter.

The university out here has one of those computerized thingys that can make a design out of a solid block of plastic. I don't know AutoCad though. The machine's front end is AutoCad. I need to make me some friends in mechanical engineering!! Have them design me up a fancy SVX keyfob... Maybe one in the letters of SVX with the S,V,and X being the keypresses!!

I'm starting to really take this serious..

Old 03-03-2005, 12:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I have the same problem with my remote(s). Sometimes it works great and other times I have to press it several times to get it to register. It usually works when once I find the sweet spot and press like hell. My original one had a split case from my fingers crushing it to make the switch respond. Then I got a brand new one (won it at last years meet) and it seems to be even crappier quality than the original. My third one (with the new SVX) is just as bad as the others. If you ever opened it up you would see that it is the cheapest POS that any car company ever produced. I can't imagine purchasing an SVX new back in '92 only to be handed this piece of garbage. The car really deserves a better remote. Hell, I bet even Hundai would laughed at this thing back in 1992 if someone would have told them to use it with their cars.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I have the same problem with my remote(s). Sometimes it works great and other times I have to press it several times to get it to register. It usually works when once I find the sweet spot and press like hell. My original one had a split case from my fingers crushing it to make the switch respond. Then I got a brand new one (won it at last years meet) and it seems to be even crappier quality than the original. My third one (with the new SVX) is just as bad as the others. If you ever opened it up you would see that it is the cheapest POS that any car company ever produced. I can't imagine purchasing an SVX new back in '92 only to be handed this piece of garbage. The car really deserves a better remote. Hell, I bet even Hundai would laughed at this thing back in 1992 if someone would have told them to use it with their cars.

Johnny
I most certainly agree. I took a look at the components and it reminded me of the old 80's style "radio shack" remote control car transmitters. The ones that cost $30 for the car and all. It's ridiculous!!

Old 03-03-2005, 05:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
For just over $150 now, you can get a good aftermarket alarm+starter that has a pager and supports options like window roll up and trunk release. I never did spend the extra $$$ for the window modules, but the trunk release has been very handy.

KuoH