How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-15-2005, 01:00 AM
blah blah, blah.

Engine stall, trouble starting

On my way back home going through some stop n' go traffic my engine stalled while i was going about 45mph. Didn't really notice it untill i felt the power loss and looked down to see the rpm gauge at zero.
I pulled over and turned off the car. Once i tried to start it again it would crank but wouldn't start. I left the ignition switch on the on position i could hear a sound from the engine bay. When i looked into the engine bay i could hear a fast ticking like electrical sound from the passenger sound.
I tried to pin point where it was coming from and tracked it down to somewhere under the intake manifold (passenger side).
I went back inside the car and noticed the Check Engine like was flashing at the same rate as the sound.
I took out the keys and left the car alone for about 4 minutes and then tried to start it. It Started like brand new! i confused..
Went home parked it. Hours later i go back try to start it and it's just cranking...

HELP ME thanks for any help,
-Khalil

ps. Just bought the SVX is December. Had the transmission rebuilt right after i bought it. only mod is ECUtune stage 1.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:42 AM
blah blah, blah.

Okay about to goto sleep and decided to try to start it again. Only cranking... I dissconnected battery now and i'll try in the morning to see what happends..

I noticed that when the key is on the ON position the check engine light is not on... i dont remember if it supposed to light up along with everything else.. ... . sleep..

-Khalil
Old 02-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check for engine codes. Instructions in the how-to locker or at http://svx-iw.com/

Sounds like either a crank/cam sensor or MAF sensor.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:41 PM
blah blah, blah.

Just tried to check the engine code.. The check light never comes on now.. No blinking or anything.. i tried this last night as well and it had a stedy blinking.. i pulled the blue wire out on accident with out turning the ignition to off, could that be why the check enigine light isn't even blinking now?
Just tried to start her again (10 hours later) just cranking, and cranking.. . . no check engine light is coming on.

Oh dont know if this will help pin point the problem, but i have been having hard starts for a while now (week?) but once the car is running she ran like new.... untill that stall
Mods (in order of install)- K&N air filter, ECUtune stage 1v.4, Alternator mod, removed intake resonator, B&M Supercooler, Window Tint, JDM Emblem, Hid Kit 5000K.

Last edited by Khalil; 02-15-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Disconnecting the battery would clear the codes. When you crank it over, does the tach show any movemnt?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
blah blah, blah.

tach does not move.
Mods (in order of install)- K&N air filter, ECUtune stage 1v.4, Alternator mod, removed intake resonator, B&M Supercooler, Window Tint, JDM Emblem, Hid Kit 5000K.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Khalil
tach does not move.
If it isn't some weird electrical fault, it will be the crank sensor.

Fuel injection, spark and the tach, all run off the crank sensor. They get weaker with age. (don't we all )

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 PM
blah blah, blah.

how much does a crank sensor cost? and is the replacement easy to do? or would u guys advise me to take it to a mechanic..

thanks for the help
Old 02-15-2005, 10:22 PM
blah blah, blah.

OMG its alive! i took out intake (not manifold) and dissconnect some harnesses and sprayed them down and reconnected...
yeah i know i doubt i fixed anything or even did anything..

But would a failing crank sensor allow the engine to work still? I'm pretty sure about the crank sensor failing, since the car stalled while crusing at ~45mph..

The thing that bothers me is the sound i heard from under the manifold (above the block).. Any electrical stuff located there?