How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-31-2005, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Isn't that bad for the fuel pump if you let the gas get low to the point that the light stays on? Doesnt it let dirt get in? Thats why ive always been filling up at the quarter tank mark. If i let it get low enough for the light i could definitley get at least 250 out of it.
A mechanic friend of mine years ago used to be adamant about not running the tank dry, especially with an older car, citing the crud that settles to the bottom. I really doubt there's much of a concern in that regard, but to me, the quarter-tank mark means, "time to buy more."

dcb
Old 01-31-2005, 06:08 PM
SVX Appeal

Naturally, the inlet for the fuel pump is at the bottom of the tank, where all the "crud" would tend to collect. Unless the crud in the tank is floating crud, running the fuel level too low isn't going to allow any more junk into the fuel system. I, for one, have never observed any floating debris. Additionally, the fuel inlet is filtered by a screen, and the rest of the system is protected by an even finer, replaceable filter. I don't think there's much probability that a low fuel level will cause any problems.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

I've been keeping a gas can in the trunk and running my tank empty.

I'd always thought that driving ''til the sputtering stage could ultimately damage the fuel pump since it depended on gas as a lubricant. Or not?

Ron (running dry on wine damages the soul).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:53 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I've been keeping a gas can in the trunk and running my tank empty.

I'd always thought that driving ''til the sputtering stage could ultimately damage the fuel pump since it depended on gas as a lubricant. Or not?
I've little doubt that running the fuel pump dry could damage it. ...over prolonged periods of time, that is. I don't know about everyone else, but when I run out, I don't plan on going any further so I turn off the ignition. That pretty much alleviates any worries I might have. Also, I'd imagine that the pump is never truly dry, but rather begins sucking up air bubbles and then simply cavitates, producing no pressure. Unless it overheats, this generally causes no damage. Again, if you don't let the pump continue running for a long time, I don't think it'll overheat. I just wouldn't allow the pump to run on and on.

One thing that I found interesting is that after running it out of fuel, it's very quick to start again when the tank is refilled. On some cars, especially carbureted ones, it can take several minutes of cranking and waiting for the fuel to make it's way to the engine. On the SVX, it starts as though it had never run out. And it also quits without much indication that it's about to, excepting the gas gauge that cries wolf.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Using the gas gauge to figure out gas mileage fro any car is a joke. The only way to get the mileage right is to fill up the SVX each time you get gas and record the gallons used and miles driven since the last fill up.

As long as everything in the SVX is working fine, O2's, coolant sensors go bad to and don't trip the CEL, then the next thing is how you drive. Driving a short distance of less than 30 minutes dosen't give the engine and trans enough time to warm-up. Then it is how you accelerate. The slower the better for gas mileage.
Take care,
John