Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: That pretty well sums it up...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
[B

. All Subaru had to do was install a 5-speed; how much quicker would that have made it? High 6's 0-60 perhaps? They only came with an automatic, so the "cruiser" mode was on Subaru's drafting table from the beginning. Sure the car can, and has, been successfully modified, but something to compete head-to-head with an RX-7 was not what the folks at Fuji had in mind. I love mine just the way it is, and I hope it lasts to 300,000 miles.... Don [/B]
Yes Don, I agree with the concept of the SVX, as a high speed GT, The ability to be able to drive long distances, at a high cruising speed, with all the comfort and be able to party when you get there, is the reason I chose this auto.

I don't think they had a manual gear box, that would take the load produced by the high diff ratio. May be they should have offered a choice of diff ratios. You could then have ordered a car to suit the type of driving. 3.5:1 for high speed cruise, or 4.1:1 for commuting or shopping trolley use.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
"

The main problem I see with moving the diff under the engine is that the engine would have to move up. This poses two problems. First it raises the hood line, something Subaru has successfully kept low on the horizon for better visibility and aerodynamics. Second, raising the engine up moves its weight up. This raises the car's center of gravity which, I think, would erase any benefit gained by moving the weight rearward.

As for a six in an Impreza (there exist Legacys with the new H6 powerplants already) I think the solution to the problem is to make a "smaller" six. At least from a displacement standpoint. Subaru has always used the flat platform so I don't see them moving to a straight or "V" design any time soon. My personal solution would be to leave the engine in the Impreza as it exists today (2.5L) but to supercharge, rather than turbo, the thing. I also think the SVX would give the "off the line" performance some people want if it was pumped this way.

Can't say I have other ideas on how to move the weight over or behind the front wheels short of some serious redesign.

Just my two pennies worth.
The engine is already mounted at a steep angle because of where the front diff is now the front of the crankshaft is about 18"(45cm) above the ground. Moving the front diff would have the effect of moving the power plant back and down. Like the old artillery cannon, hold the frame and barrel still while moving the wheels forward will lower the tip of the barrel.
So the engine line would be lower and so would be the centre of gravity.

I haven't seen any six cyl. Legacys out here in Ozz only the Out back, they were to have come out back in 99 I waited, nothing happened, so I got the next best six, the SVX .

I am also a fan of supercharging, having built a few over the years for road and track.
Harvey.

Old 01-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Re: OK TIMES UP, PENS DOWN!

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

The answer could be make a new tranny, that mounts in the rear of the car to allow the engine to move back some and distribute more weight to the rear, then an offset front diff. This would mean there would have to be two different drive shafts, but would really balance out the car, and allow more room for the engine up front.

This is the set-up I think Subaru should look at, but what do I know anyway
That would do it. I remember that being done by Lancia or Alfa.
I think a US Co. tried this setup, with a bent drive shaft under the floor, Buick maybe?

Harvey.

Old 01-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: My dream layout

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
I've always loved AWD cars, something about the transfer of power to *all* wheels just always made too much sense.

In that vein (when limited to a front engined layout) my dream set-up would have the engine/trans combo stay the same, but utilizing a dry sump engine oiling system, run the front propellershaft *underneath* the oilpan and terminate with a diff *in front* of the motor. Also the transfer case (same spot, behind the trans) would be primary rear drive with the fronts kicking in when needed a'la Nissan Skyline (R34 V-Spec is my dream car , anybody know a grey market importer other than Motorex or BestJapanCar.com? ).

Now, if I had my druthers, the *ultimate* layout would be a mid-engined version of the same thing. Trans forward of the engine, forward propellershaft going to a front mounted x-fer case/diff (like Porsche) while the rear shaft goes *under* the oilpan to a diff placed far rearward of the block.

I fully realize that both these setups make dropping the pan a chore, but for a setup with AWD *and* an ultra-low center of gravity, I for one would be more than willing to pay the price.

Oh, and I prefer my stars in Ti-6AI-4V (aircraft grade Titanium), thank you very much.

We all dream, thats how things get invented.
That would be the GO, the sump could still be wet, as there is plenty of room for it under the cylinders. The transfer box could be the new B4 Legacy unit which varies the torque front and rear. The drive shaft could run around the side of the flywheel area by three uni joints to keep the diff on the centre line.

Who needs to drop the sump pan, nothing goes wrong in there and overhauling the front diff wouldn't cost a $3500k transmission overhaul. Just a call to Mr Nissan to send another diff.

It does open a lot of possible options for Subaru to use. This engine can go up to 3.8 lt, which would put the Legacy in the same class as the bigger Nissans, Toyota, Mitsubishi, but with AWD, could use the extra power to advantage.

I have had to withdraw the Titanium stars, as some people were using them for buttons on transfer clutch plates

Harvey.

Old 01-09-2002, 06:22 AM
lightning_8669

"I have had to withdraw the Titanium stars, as some people were using them for buttons on transfer clutch plates "

I prefer Inconel, makes for very long lived exhaust systems

But talking to a local shop with experience working with both they likened the choice between the two to a decision between lukemia or lung cancer