Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Any Chevy Guys? - '67 Nova

Are there any Chevy Guys out there? I visited my Grandmother's house in TX this weekend and stumbled upon a thing of beauty in the garage. My Uncle's 67 Nova Sport Coupe. It has been sitting there for about 10 years now gathering dust. It has a six cylinder (250) and power glide. It is in pretty good condition, had a repaint about 10 years ago and has been sitting in a garage in Texas ever since. From what I hear, it doesn't run, but it did at one time so I assume it won't be too hard to get it running again. The only thing that worries me is that it was repainted and stored in TX, but has a little bit of bubbling on the hood and a small amount of rust on the right side just behind the door panel. Makes me think it wasn't done right. I don't know too much else about it. The car also has an Offenhauser intake and Holley 4bbl. I have no idea what it is worth....any ideas? Here are some pics:

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 11-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
NICE!!

Check Hemmings for rough $ value. Looks like it's in good shape.
They were hell on wheels in a straight line -- scary as hell trying to stop quickly

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Thanks Bill. I checked out Hemmings, but it seems to be hard to find a similar car. Wherever I look they only have the SS cars. This one is hard to put a value on, though I suspect it isn't worth as much as the SS cars.

I know what you mean about being fast. These things only weighed about 2700 lbs! Definitely a little scary.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 11-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Certified Porschephile

Might be hard to find someone who'd want to restore a 6 cylinder base Nova. You'd do better finding some one who'd like to put in a 327 and make a SS clone. Shadow, you'd probably know, wasn't the hot 327 in the Nova SS the L79? 350hp. I know Oldsmobiles fairly well, but some of the Chevys are tough. After HS my buddy and I got our hands on a 67 Dodge Dart GT-S and were trying to shoehorn in a 440 from a Chrysler New Yorker! That would have been a death trap! he eventually put the 440 in his 68 Charger after the 383 blew.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:21 AM

Check-out eBay. They have several straight-six Chevy IIs currently listed. There's also an SS with an insane "buy-it-now" price of $26,900.

dcb
Old 11-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You want insane? I seem to remember that people were actually shoehorning 396s into the Chevy II engine bay! 400+ hp in a 2700# car with drum brakes and bias ply tires (RUN!)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
The L79 327 was only available in the Nova through 1966. It was deleted in 67 because the Camaro was the feature application. Seeing as it is a direct swap, and a dirt cheap and rock solid motor, I would toss one of those puppies in before i so much as cleaned the valve cover on that six.

The Nova is not one of my favorites. However I can't argue that if you want a cheap track car, it's the way to go. An SBC 396 install is not real complicated, and you know very well what can be done with one of those under the hood. Though I would highly recommend upgrading the brakes and stock tires too (unlike the example cited above). You'll need a better rear, though the powerglide should be more than adequate for about 500hp.

If, for some reason, you really like 6 cylinder motors, a carb rebuild and some new plugs should get it running just fine.

Last edited by Shadow248; 11-29-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:55 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
The L79 327 was only available in the Nova through 1966. It was deleted in 67 because the Camaro was the feature application. Seeing as it is a direct swap, and a dirt cheap and rock solid motor, I would toss one of those puppies in before i so much as cleaned the valve cover on that six.

The Nova is not one of my favorites. However I can't argue that if you want a cheap track car, it's the way to go. An SBC 396 install is not real complicated, and you know very well what can be done with one of those under the hood. Though I would highly recommend upgrading the brakes and stock tires too (unlike the example cited above). You'll need a better rear, though the powerglide should be more than adequate for about 500hp.

If, for some reason, you really like 6 cylinder motors, a carb rebuild and some new plugs should get it running just fine.
Any idea on what the car is worth in present condition? If I were to buy it, I have plans of a 350/th350 combo. Is the new transmission needed or should I try to use the powerglide? I just want to get it driveable and fun without getting too crazy.

The 6 was rebuilt and was not done properly. It now bends pushrods and doesn't run.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 11-30-2004, 10:03 AM

Hmmm...lots of ways to go here. Don't even bother trying to sell it in "present condition", you'd be ripping yourself off. You said the paint isn't real good and the engine needs alot of work, so two out of the three criteria for getting good money out of it are in the negative column. That appears to have a beautiful interior...those are the kinds of cars that win money at shows. I'd say get a new engine and paint and enjoy it on the weekends. Or, get a new engine and paint, then sell it. That way you SHOULD be able to get $15g or better. Selling it as is would be wasting a really good potential show car, and alot of money.

As for how to fix 'er up, it really depends on what you want to spend. assuming the L79 or a built version will be going in, the cheapest way to go is just bolt the engine right up to the powerglide. Like I said it's a beefy tranny, so you don't have to worry about that. Also, that would leave plenty of money for paint. After that, and a thorough cleaning, you've got yourself a great show car. If you're willing to devote more money to it, an L79 327 with a built th350 would be great. The disadvantage to a 350 motor is weight and overall power. The 327 is a lighter motor, and since it's got a smaller bore, it can rev higher faster. It's a perfect motor for a small car such as the nova. The th350 tranny is nice and cheap, and much better for power (extra gear) than the powerglide, but not as beefy. You'll probably want a built version if you're going through the trouble of putting one in. The real kicker though, is with a th350, you'll need to change out the rear gears, and ideally you'll want a built rear. The nova comes with something like 2.73 gears in stock form. With a th350, it'll feel like a 6 cylinder anyway. With a set of 3.73's the car will not only launch alot better, but the rear will also hold up a tad better. No guarantees there though...GM is not known for phenomenal rear setups.

Good luck and if there's anything else I can answer, i'll try.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Word to Yo Motha

I think you are misunderstanding me. I would be BUYING it in present condition. My uncle lives in China and has no intention of returning any time soon. Basically the cheaper the better right now. My uncle doesn't know what to ask for it and I don't want to lowball him unless it is truly the value of the car in this condition.

Thanks for the suggestions on engine and trans. I basically have no experience with GM's! You think I would since I live in Flint, MI half of the year. I will plan on keeping the powerglide for now. I really would like a four speed car, but don't want the hassle of the swap.

The interior not factory. It was redone and looks stock, not NOS, but all new stuff.

The motor definitely has to go. He got screwed over when somebody did the rebuild and has no idea what they actually did. The only thing he knows is it bends pushrods. Possibly incorrect cam/valves/springs. A 327 sounds like a great option, especially if it drops right in. In fact, I am beginning to like GM's because the compatibility and options are endless.

I think I am going to try and contact some Nova clubs for more information on value of the car. I really love the look of these cars. Seems like the perfect cruiser.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 11-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Certified Porschephile

The 327 was a great motor. The 350 isn't a bad choice and can be found cheaper then the 327 just because of the sheer amount of 350's made. The 1969 Nova had the 396 as an option, but that was the newer body. Don't know if it'll fit. The 396 was a terrific engine. The 283 was also available in that body style earlier on. I'd go with a TH350 over a Powerglide. If you are going with a 4 speed I believe it was the M21 Muncie that mated to the 327 L79 in the Vette.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
I think you are misunderstanding me. I would be BUYING it in present condition. My uncle lives in China and has no intention of returning any time soon. Basically the cheaper the better right now. My uncle doesn't know what to ask for it and I don't want to lowball him unless it is truly the value of the car in this condition.
Sorry about that. It's tough to say without actually seeing it (as anyone would tell you), but to take a stab, i'd say maybe $5000. It's very important to inspect the frame for any damage...that's the single biggest value factor. But with a nice interior, a good frame, OK paint and a non-running engine, that's a fairly good estimate from my experience. Of course I have no idea if that car has any of the "special options" that the Nova experts would know about...so definetly check with a Nova organization.

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
The 327 was a great motor. The 350 isn't a bad choice and can be found cheaper then the 327 just because of the sheer amount of 350's made. The 1969 Nova had the 396 as an option, but that was the newer body. Don't know if it'll fit. The 396 was a terrific engine. The 283 was also available in that body style earlier on. I'd go with a TH350 over a Powerglide. If you are going with a 4 speed I believe it was the M21 Muncie that mated to the 327 L79 in the Vette.
The 327 is a direct swap. The 350 is a little trickier. Not real hard, just not as easy as the 327. The M21 is the only direct mount tranny that I know of for those motors, however it's not an easy swap at all. Because of GM's universal linkage (all auto trannies could be converted to floor shift from column or vice versa VERY easily) there's alot of fishing to do.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Word to Yo Motha

$5k is what I was thinking too. I have contacted a few Nova gurus, so we will see if they agree.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 12-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
$5k is what I was thinking too. I have contacted a few Nova gurus, so we will see if they agree.
all i have to say is you best be taking this up to school and working on it... we could even have a little um... drag race between the progect cars... (i've always wanted to work on an old chevy progect car) for some reason though... i'm thinkin mines gonna be way more of a PITA

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow

all i have to say is you best be taking this up to school and working on it... we could even have a little um... drag race between the progect cars... (i've always wanted to work on an old chevy progect car) for some reason though... i'm thinkin mines gonna be way more of a PITA
If I get it...If I get it....

If I do get the thing, I won't be driving it in the winter @ all. If I can get it running and running right, it might give you a run for your money. The thing has quite a few go-fast parts in the six banger. More than I mentioned above.

More info on the car:
Has had a disc brake conversion on the front. It will actually stop! Still not power brakes, but at least they work. It has a Crane street/strip cam and raised compression

I hope I can get it!!!

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: