Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 09:16 PM
BoondockSVX

Strange reason that Caddillac is still around

Okay, I posted this link here and my topic was deleted because an admin thought it was going to turn into a flamewar.

I honestly think we're above that. This isn't some politically correct everyone is always offended website, we're a bunch of car nuts who like things related to automobiles.

That said, I was googling for information about some really weird 1930s van, it had a teardrop shape and a mid mounted engine, and it had a tube frame design, .... really nutty performance estimates... anyone know what the name of it was? I can't find info about it.

Anyway, I was googling for that, when I came across this page:

http://www.aaca.org/history/cars_40.htm

Check out 1932. Caddillac was THIS CLOSE to being axed, but it was saved by some guy who WASN'T racist. I really don't see how this bit of info could be twisted into a flamewar, since the guy did a good thing.... but it's really quite strange to think about. Just think if this ONE GUY had been racist.... there would have been no 1959 caddy with the obnoxious fins and torpedo shaped bumpers, no 1955 eldorado, no 1969 long low and wide eldo, .... it's just really strange to think that such a mainstay in today's automotive world was ALMOST going to be axed.... yet it was saved by one man who thought that if a customer wants a car and has cash, he should be able to buy it no matter what the color of his skin.

Strange world we live in, and I have faith that you guys are grown up enough not to turn this thread into a flamewar.

- Jim
Old 11-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Strange reason that Caddillac is still around

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Just think if this ONE GUY had been racist.... there would have been no 1959 caddy with the obnoxious fins and torpedo shaped bumpers, no 1955 eldorado, no 1969 long low and wide eldo, ....
Or no 2004 400hp Cadillac CTS-V!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Actually there are alot more cases like that than many people realize. So many staples of today's commercial lifestyle have similiar pasts. Microsoft, Chrysler, Cadillac, Kraft foods, Sony, Brunswick sports...the list goes on and on... all of these companies were saved from certain death by one small decision, one minor change of a leader, or just pure dumb luck. Quite fascinating I think.

Also...one story I think we'll be telling our (meaning people my age and younger) grandkids about is Wal-Mart. I'm very interested to see what's goign to happen to this company in the next ten years. Right now, Target is the only thing that stands between Wal-Mart and world domination. Fortunately for us, Target is just getting started. Can you tell I don't really like Wal-Mart?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Or no 2004 400hp Cadillac CTS-V!!!
Hey if you think that's a wicked automobile, you'd better sit down when they roll out the new caddies at the auto show in january. 400hp will seem downright pedestrian next year.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:00 PM
THAWA

I really want to say something but I do have a feeling it would be too miscontrued to even be worth the time.

but I do love to hear about the one person that made a hugr difference

Last edited by THAWA; 11-11-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile Re: Strange reason that Caddillac is still around

That said, I was googling for information about some really weird 1930s van, it had a teardrop shape and a mid mounted engine, and it had a tube frame design, .... really nutty performance estimates... anyone know what the name of it was? I can't find info about it.

The vehicle you're looking for is the 1936 Stout Scarab.

Google away!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
THAWA

that looks super long. How big is it?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Hey if you think that's a wicked automobile, you'd better sit down when they roll out the new caddies at the auto show in january. 400hp will seem downright pedestrian next year.
Nice! Anxiously waiting...

-Chike

Old 11-12-2004, 11:40 AM
BoondockSVX

Re: Re: Strange reason that Caddillac is still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

The vehicle you're looking for is the 1936 Stout Scarab.

Google away!

Ron.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
screw the sts-v the XLR is sweeeet

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-12-2004, 10:49 PM

My bro tells me they're still toying with the idea of throwing the modular V12 (that's been "in development" for like 5 years) in the XLR. I have mixed opinions about this. Regardless, there will be an XLR-V (with at least the LS7, if not the V12) that should debut at the auto show in january, along with the STS-V, ESC-V (twin turbo escalade ), and an LS4 (the 5.3L, 390hp V8 that will also debut in the Trailblazer SS) powered SRX-V. I think that just about covers it.

Yeah i'm excited.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:33 PM
BoondockSVX

Ya know, I'm getting really annoyed at auto marques with stupid 'letter' names. SVX, WRX, 300ZX, NSX, CTS-V, CTS, GTR, SRT4, ESC, etc etc etc etc.

What ever happened to stuff like "Electra" "Grand Marquis" "Roadrunner" "Satellite" "Thunderbird" "Imperial" etc, ACTUAL NAMES, not just letters.

I mean, I like the SVX but I think it'd be better if it had a REAL name, not just some random grouping of letters. The good news is that I think they're going to run out of combinations soon.

- Jim
Old 11-12-2004, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Ya know, I'm getting really annoyed at auto marques with stupid 'letter' names. SVX, WRX, 300ZX, NSX, CTS-V, CTS, GTR, SRT4, ESC, etc etc etc etc.

What ever happened to stuff like "Electra" "Grand Marquis" "Roadrunner" "Satellite" "Thunderbird" "Imperial" etc, ACTUAL NAMES, not just letters.

I mean, I like the SVX but I think it'd be better if it had a REAL name, not just some random grouping of letters. The good news is that I think they're going to run out of combinations soon.

- Jim
All the cars you've mentioned with the alpha and alpha numeric names are faster than the ones with actual names!

The SVX does have a real name - Alcyone. Subaru just didn't think the name would fly outside of Japan...

-Chike

Old 11-12-2004, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
My bro tells me they're still toying with the idea of throwing the modular V12 (that's been "in development" for like 5 years) in the XLR. I have mixed opinions about this. Regardless, there will be an XLR-V (with at least the LS7, if not the V12) that should debut at the auto show in january, along with the STS-V, ESC-V (twin turbo escalade ), and an LS4 (the 5.3L, 390hp V8 that will also debut in the Trailblazer SS) powered SRX-V. I think that just about covers it.
Damn! I see a Cadillac in my future...

Old 11-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Daddy loved Caddys

He owned several. We went out west in a '55 when I was a kid. He put over 250k on his '61 with no major repairs. He would love to see that Caddy is back....although he would have a hard time adjusting to the new designs. At least one GM division has its act together these days; what a great lineup. The XLR is a great looking car!

Don

PS Ron, your mailbox is full!
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"