How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-12-2004, 03:28 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

The SVX and you-reasoning behind the madness

Just want to know how you all came about the SVX you are driving or once drove. How did you find it, how did you hear about it.

First saw an SVX on Gran Tourismo 2(playstation 1).

Driving in rental car searching for a new car after my accident, and there it was, siting in a car lot. In this particular car lot(Popped up overnight). This car wouldn't be sitting there if it wasn't to be sold. Talked to the salesman the next morning and had him hold it for me until I got my settlement. And now I am a proud owner.

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 05-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I first saw an SVX about 6 years ago while in college... My jaw dropped to the floor and I was like 'wow!'

I knew I had to own one someday...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Hater

i remember back in the early 90's seeing them in car magazines, and the occaisional one on the street and thinking "cool car, but i hate the grill and two-tone paint jobs" (sorry folks - just my opinion!). i saw a black '97 one time in the neighborhood and thought "wow, that grille and monotone paint job is what that car really needed!"

flash forward to two years ago - got married, bought a house and had my 928 dream car garage queen for about 6 years, along with a winter beater. got tired of cleaning the snow off the winter beater while the garage queen sat in the garage for months every winter unused. besides the fact of insurance, maintenance and labor on two cars, with the winter beater not even being that good in the snow even with FWD.

i researched the SVX - found a nice black '97 not too far away, and now i have one reliable, cool-looking, moderately sporty car that laughs at snow!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
First saw the SVX when my Special Issue of R&T showed up, since misplaced/lost, DAMN!!!
Saw first one in the flesh at the dealer when my 91 Legacy was in for service. The salespeople were all outside crawling all over it, and even the Porsche guys from next door were checking her out. Guy was revving her in neutral, and it was LOVE!!!
My Sis-in-Law was ready about 5 years ago to finally give up her 66 'stang and I recommended the SVX, as she was familiar with the 3 Subies we used since 83 to run to Tahoe, and wanted something she could drive to Mammoth from her home in Santa Monica. She found a sweet one-owner 93 with about 55K and bought it, along with an extended warranty. By 60K the trans went and was replaced, along with adding a cooler at my recommendation. Then she married last July, with new hubby wanting her to "get rid of that old thing", and guess who got an excellent buy to keep her "in the family"! I've put another 5K on her since bringing her home in mid January, and I'm still IN LOVE!!!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 05-12-2004, 04:32 PM

My Subie obcession started with my 1st new car in 1986.

Yes, obcession, have owned 5 total [all new], still own 2.

=============================

My 1st new subie was a 1986 GL-10 Turbo, 4 dr, 5 sp, digital dash [kinda cool], electropneumatic suspension, 4wd [4wd push button on top of gear knob], 105 hp, 98 mph drag limited
[traded in 1990 to get my 2nd new subie]

My 2nd new subie was a 1990 Legacy, 4 dr, 5 sp, AWD [traded in 1994 to get my 1994 3/4 ton Dodge Ram P/U, Cummins turbo]

My 3rd new subie was my 1992 SVX LS-L, Teal, touring package
Bought her off the showroom floor w/ 30 miles on 12/31/02. Dealership really wanted her out since the 1993 anniversary model was coming in, got her for $24K, $6K off sticker.

I first saw the SVX through a mailing that SOA sent me, and I requested the video [still have in case, the Car & Track magazine [still have] and requested a test drive. After seeing the video & reading the magazine I was totally hooked and vowed to own one someday. I test drove one in early in 1992 and when I arrived at the dealership for my test drive, they had to pull it off the showroom floor [salesman knew he had a sale because I was already driving a subie].
I knew more about the car than the salesman did [GO FIGURE].
He did not know about the winter/summer wiper switch or the passive rear steering.
I was hooked, totally in love with the car. I still have her, she has 206,000 miles, is on her 2nd tranny and I still drive her around town every week.

My 4th new subie was a 1996 Legacy LS, AWD, Auto, 4dr [traded in 1999 for our Dodge Grand Caravan AWD, still have]

My 5th new subie is my 2003 WRB WRX wagon, she is my daily driver, 100 miles daily, already at 30K, my 30K service is on Friday, already know it is going to be over $300.00 OWW OWW OWW

Man, what more can you say...
Old 05-12-2004, 05:52 PM

The DREAM-CAR :)

My first Subie, back in -86 I decided that 4WD , TURBO, LIGHTWEIGHT was the the way to go in streetrac.... sorry... eeehh.... racing .

So I started to look for a candidate ...... I found no candidates .... ;( ... until a Sunday morning, visiting a dealer's garage ...wow open! , on a Sunday, ... wonder if anyone is around?

THEN it stood there....THE car... a Blue XT4- turbo with white skirts ....IT'S MINE a shouted...

136HP quickly became 250 ... many mods there were ...

In a year or two, the limit on the engine was reached race heads, 3˝" downpipe to 2˝" free flow exhaust, race cams, dual! intercooler systems (one air/air and one water/air) because the water/air "chargecooler" was neat to have in low speeds and standing starts , Hi pressure water/alchohol injection (50/50), Boost contoller with "assault" mode (1.6bars!) lowered with modified and harder struts and so on ....

Never got owned in the cit... races I mean

Well, like I said, the engine was at its limit, so I read everything about the "new" prototype XT with a 3.0L turbo 6 (a newspaper claimed), and I was doomed !!!!!

Spent the rest of that year hunting that ghost 6 ....

Then, in -92 I was on a car show in a nearby town .....the first thing a saw was this...this....this....ABSOLUTELY AWESOME CAR....
what WAS it .....a SUBARU !!!!! .... SVX .... with a FLAT-6 !!!! I was totally stunned .... I WANT IT !! ... but the price tag said otherwise, 370k SEK .... more than a good Porsche ... !
... and the time went by for some 10 years 3 kids more and 7 other Subarus ...

-My first week at my new work (some 250miles from home!)
my Legacy broke down, with only 330k Km on it....damn!
Had to borrow my wifes Trendy...almost killed it, running flat out for 4 hours to work .... visited a Subaru dealer on a lunch... looked for a reasonable cheap car .... wow, my workmate said and stood there waveing in a corner ....what is this? he said, I loomed over ... and THERE SHE WHERE ....... A SVX !!! -92 ebony black !!! I could not believe my eyes, the first and only used SVX i've seen, and the second in total.....!!!!! , only one owner, a 77 year old lady ! and only 120k km on it, it looked like BRAND NEW!
not a scratch or anything ..

Like in a blur I walked against her .... looked like a fool I guess...
-IT IS MINE!! .... you hear ... MINE!

and that was almost a year ago .....and I JUST LOVE HER

...well, long story ...

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 05-12-2004, 07:10 PM
JackieBeans

15 years ago. . .

Almost 15 years ago I saw one driving down the street of my home town and I thought, "what is that? what kind of car was that? I want one." almost 15 years later I had the opportunity to buy one as a restoration project. In the process I wrecked my Saab, and I was in an accident with my then secondary car not six months later. So now my primary driver is a '92 SVX. And now I wonder why I ever waited. What a great car. Ireally don't want to buy a new one yet now that I have been driving this one for a while. She has character and personality.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Quote:
Almost 15 years ago
Jackie, Check your math. Last time I looked it was 2004.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 05-12-2004, 08:09 PM
deruvian

I was shopping around for my first car. It had to be AWD, simply because of my surrounding environment. I naturally looked at Subarus, and browsed around many a website looking for the right one.

The exact day I was going to look at a few Legacy sedans and wagons, I looked on cars.com one more time. I saw an ad for "1994 SVX - Blue, nice, 230hp." I thought, "230hp? WTF kind of '94 Subaru is that?" So, my buddy and I came across subarusvx.com. We looked, and were amazed.

I checked out the car, drove it, loved it, impressed my friends. Nice. Found out it was FWD. Not so nice.

I got in fat fight with my parents about the car simply because it wasn't AWD. Not AWD or 4x4, and they wouldn't have a single bit to do with it. They're huge truck freaks, so getting a car was even a bit sketchy.

I finally convinced them to settle on letting me get studded tires on the thing when winter rolled around.

It got totaled a few months later in a hit and run, my parents made me buy a 4Runner cause it was a truck and was 4x4, but I sold it shortly after I turned 18 and bought another SVX — which is my current ride.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
First Subaru was an '86 XT-Turbo. Thing was a sexy, fast, dependable ride right up 'till I gave her to charity with over 238K. Even enjoyed the Turbo on the way to the dropoff....BIG FUN!

First saw an SVX in late '91 in Devon Pa when I had my XT in for service. Price tag scared the crap out of me back then...I wouldn't even test drive it!

After the XT went to the charitable deductions lot in the sky, the SVX was a natural choice. Was MOST surprised to find a nice '96 for under 6K. My best driving days are in this car!

Old 05-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
my story isn't too long...

my parents bought the car new in 94, a blue 94 L. The car has stayed in the family ever since, and now it has been given to me, as my first car . It only has 73k and is still on the original tranny.

oh I'm so lucky
Old 05-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
my story

My story and love with the SVX begins with the wrecking of my '84 turbo volvo (Fairly quick POS) in a snowstorm. My mother, knowing my desire for a fast car and a sports car at that, thought she would try and be clever by telling me I could ONLY buy a subaru or volvo, that I could afford with my own money. Well lemme just tell ya, that plan fell right through ! We bought the car on ebay for $3450, an ebony '92 with 115k and no known problems. Boy was she SHOCKED when the seller picked us up at the airport in a freshly waxed svx. I believe her exact words were "there is no frickin way im letting you drive that", but then, of course...it panned out, and the car and I have been enjoying each other for quite some time now!
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 05-12-2004, 10:30 PM
JLittell

I'll be honest...

I always thought that a majority of Subarus were eye sores. I hated the looks of every Subaru including the SVX (with the weird side window thingy). I thought there wasn't anything special about that SVX. I always had the attitude of: "It's just another damn Japanese car!" I was so biased when it came to the origin of cars= Always buy USA.., Always buy USA ..." NEVER, NEVER A SUBARU!!" I even remember snickering every time that Australian guy came on and drove Subaru through the Outback in commercials. Oh brother!!

A long story short...

I have a co-worker who owned and drove 2 SVX'es over the last 7 years. I thought there wasn't anything special about that SVX. 2 Weeks later he informs me that it was time to sell the SVX due to a tempting later model BMW (another co-worker owned car). So he tells me that he was doing to list it on Ebay in a week or so. I told him that I wanted to drive it for the heck of it before he sells. He let me take it the day before he listed it on Ebay. I never had any intentions in buying it... all I wanted to do is drive it once!

So I took this SVX home... drove the heck out of it and never looked back! So I guess It's my co-workers fault that he didn't let me drive it any earlier!!!

So I guess I ended up with foot in mouth when it came to "Always buy USA''...

(BTW, He does still ask to drive it when we go to lunch once in a while!) "NOPE!"

Last edited by JLittell; 05-12-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I really liked them, until I drove one - it was love from then on. I am glad that I do not have an obsession with these cars.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 05-12-2004, 11:57 PM
astralbody

I saw the and wanted the SVX when I first saw it, 1992 year I graduated HS saw it on the showroom floor at a suby dealer, sat in it and looked at everything, slaes person took it out for me and that was it.....

"years later"

I was in the market for a new car one that was my style instead of get me bys, I thought back on the cars that I loved, then remembered the SVX... and I thought no I can't afford one of those, they were expensive, thought I would look for an affordable one low and behold here I am a proud owner of a prissy spoiled car that always wants my hands to be dirty and
needing undivided attenetion from me.

my SVX story